FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,576 of 1,676
turn the bass down. I don't find it overly bassy but I do bump the treble one notch on my m50x

You're talking about with the built in EQ? This is how it looks like:

It doesn't sound right when I do -4dB this way because I don't think the bass frequencies were boosted in that shape.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,578 of 1,676

Quote:
Cool, let us know how it works. Which version of Lollipop are you on?

Will do. My LG G4 is on 5.1 and I also have a Nexus 5 which is running the Android "M" preview. I'll test it with that too.

I've ordered another cable from JDS Labs, which was only slightly more expensive than the China direct seller with shipping, since that should get here about the same time as the FiiO E07K.

Thanks for the tip.

I finally received my E07K today and just finished testing it with my LG G4 running 5.1 and my Nexus 5 running the 6.0 "M" preview (build MPZ44Q) and got some interesting results.

Everything worked fine on both phones including the digital out with volume adjustment (I forgot that Google managed to control the digital output level in the official DAC support for 5.0+), the interruption and resumption of audio for notifications and incoming calls, and the quality of the audio (using PowerAmp and FLAC files) when routed through the DAC/Amp of the E07K.

However, I tested with other programs including Pandora and Google Play Music and found that, at least in streaming mode, connecting and disconnecting the USB OTG cable was much more reliable on Lollipop (my G4 is running 5.1) when using Google Play Music in radio mode versus Pandora. On my Nexus 5 running the "M" preview I had no problems connecting and disconnecting repeatedly and getting DAC output with either Pandora or Google Play Music, while on my G4 running 5.1 I sometimes had to reboot after connecting the E07K while Pandora was active and even then it didn't always reactivate the USB audio output. It seems there may still be something flakey about USB audio support in 5.1.x that may have been fixed in "M" but I'm not ready to conclude that until I do some testing with 5.1.1 on my Nexus 5. I should be able to get to that in the next couple of days. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,579 of 1,676
I just received Mine today and all I can say is Wow!I am using it with an old iPod Touch 2G,Creative Labs Aurvana Live headphones and the results are friggin' awesome.Playing Don't Fear The Reaper and Cutting Crew's,"I just Died In Your Arms Tonight",i was hearing sounds that were muffled before.The headphones are good but now they sound World Class.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,580 of 1,676
Hey folks.

So I just received my E07K.  I also recently purchased Sennheiser HD558, which I love.

The thing is.... I feel that the sound coming from the E07K is worse than directly from my Macbook Pro(Late 2014), and even the iPhone 6.

'Worse' to me means a more compressed soundstage, some minor bass bloat, and less bass texture.

Anyone else experience this?

Also, I'm considering returning the E07K and getting the E10K.  Is the E10K a big improvement over the E07K and the iPhone/Macbook Pro with the new PCM1502?

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #1,581 of 1,676
  Hey folks.

So I just received my E07K.  I also recently purchased Sennheiser HD558, which I love.

The thing is.... I feel that the sound coming from the E07K is worse than directly from my Macbook Pro(Late 2014), and even the iPhone 6.

'Worse' to me means a more compressed soundstage, some minor bass bloat, and less bass texture.

Anyone else experience this?

Also, I'm considering returning the E07K and getting the E10K.  Is the E10K a big improvement over the E07K and the iPhone/Macbook Pro with the new PCM1502?

Depends on the headphone. The weak link in the E07k is the amp, though almost always the soundstage is increased with this DAC/amp. The Fiio E07k does wonders with headphones that are naturally not bassy, but outright sound disgusting on SOME bassy headphones. The amp is clearly not neutral and something like +5dB in bass, so how good your headphone will sound with this boost depends I think on how pliable the headphone is to EQ in the first place.

For instance, I have the Takstar Pro 80, an excellent bass-tilting headphone that doesn't respond well to EQ, it sounds disgusting with the E07k. I have the very bassy SHE3905, which gets amazing bass with this amp with a great slam, as the SHE3905 is known to be very EQ'able.

If you are using it just for desktop purposes, obviously the E10k should be taken instead. And yes there are other options such as SMSL, I have never tried them however.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,582 of 1,676
Hi,

I've been using the E07K with my LG G2 thought an OTG cable. The sound seems much better then when I'm using a regular 3.5mm (which would be caused by the fiio's DAC?).
The problem is that de Fiio is draining too much battery of my cellphone. Is there a way to solve this? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,583 of 1,676
@Starfield Have you tried to turn off USB charging on the F07K when connected to the phone?
I presume the E07K has such a setting (the E17K does)

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,585 of 1,676
You're welcome. It happens to the best of us, @Starfield
wink.gif

From what I've read, apparently, depending on your phone connectors USB current rating etc, there still may be a battery drain to some small extent. It would depend on your phone and it's ratings. So, keep a check on your battery anyway, lest you find yourself in some emergency without the juice.

FiiO took out E18 specifically for proper connectivity with Android phones without a battery drain issue with most phone (rather it has a big battery to charge the phone as well). It is bigger and of a different price range.

On a side note: I am not having any luck connecting my E17K with the Samsung Note 2 via OTG.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,586 of 1,676
  You're welcome. It happens to the best of us, @Starfield
wink.gif

From what I've read, apparently, depending on your phone connectors USB current rating etc, there still may be a battery drain to some small extent. It would depend on your phone and it's ratings. So, keep a check on your battery anyway, lest you find yourself in some emergency without the juice.

FiiO took out E18 specifically for proper connectivity with Android phones without a battery drain issue with most phone (rather it has a big battery to charge the phone as well). It is bigger and of a different price range.

On a side note: I am not having any luck connecting my E17K with the Samsung Note 2 via OTG.

I had to try all compatible programs and went for the one that gave me the best results: HibyMusic.
After that I didn't get any conection problems.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,587 of 1,676
Thank you @Starfield. I didn't have any luck with HibyMusic either (the sound was usually like "slow sound under-water"). Based on your suggestion, I'll try players.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,588 of 1,676
@hEddy, you can also try to turn the E17k on first and then pkug it to your note 2. Or even try to unplug and plug right after when you get that kind of sound.
Happens to me sometimes and re-plugging usually solves the problem (keep the e17k on).

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,589 of 1,676
If anyone has experience with both, do you think the nearly double priced E17k is worth it? The E07k is ridiculously warm, so much so I'm even thinking of leveling down to the E7 even though the bitrate will suffer.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,590 of 1,676
  If anyone has experience with both, do you think the nearly double priced E17k is worth it? The E07k is ridiculously warm, so much so I'm even thinking of leveling down to the E7 even though the bitrate will suffer.

The E17 has the same Wolfson 8740 as the E07k. The WM8740 is known for its warm and slightly bassier characteristics. However, I have not heard the E17k before so I can't judge but just because they use the same DAC chip again, it could sound different due to many factors (implementation, output characteristics/power, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back