FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,156 of 1,676
Gonna buy this to match with the Beyer DT770 32 ohm headphones. Source will be iPod classic and HP Laptop. Should I buy the e17 instead?

You'll be more than good with the E07K. Buy with confidence.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,162 of 1,676
Hello,

It is probably because of the damping factor. It is not ideal to use low impedance headphone with amp with high output impedance. Your headphone is 32Ohm at 1KHz. It is recommended to use headphone amp with output impedance lower than 4Ohm. The FiiO E07K itself have output impedance lower than 1 Ohm. I recommend you to use that for your low impedance headphone or headphone with impedance of lower than 80Ohm. Use the E09K for headphone with impedance higher than 80Ohm.

The reason why you do not find it a problem pairing your Grado with E09K mainly because the Grado have flat impedance vs frequency thus, IMO any output impedance would not affect it much.

Hope it helps,
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Billson, I tried. I promise I did. I have tried to look up explanations on this concept and I can't seem to get it down. I know this has to do with a low impedance headphone not being able to work with a high output impedance amp. Bottom line, I don't get it. Is there something someone can point me to that will help me understand this concept or can someone give me a simplified answer? Also, what's are the specifications I should be looking for and what is the math that needs to be done with those specs in order to know if a certain can will work with a certain amp?

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,164 of 1,676
  Is there a 3.5mm Male to Lightning adapter for the iPhone 5? I mean I'm sure there is, I just have yet to find it I will continue to look though!

FiiO does need to step up and make one that will work properly like they did with the L9.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,165 of 1,676
Billson, I tried. I promise I did. I have tried to look up explanations on this concept and I can't seem to get it down. I know this has to do with a low impedance headphone not being able to work with a high output impedance amp. Bottom line, I don't get it. Is there something someone can point me to that will help me understand this concept or can someone give me a simplified answer? Also, what's are the specifications I should be looking for and what is the math that needs to be done with those specs in order to know if a certain can will work with a certain amp?

Maybe try understanding this:

You want to make sure the ratio of Headphone's impedance vs amp output impedance is 8:1. The "1" can be lower say 0.3 or lower than 1. Let's take Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ohm version as example.

DT770 impedance: 80 Ohm
Ideal ratio 8:1

80Ohm / 8 = 10Ohm

Therefore, you want to make sure the amp's output impedance is lower than 10 Ohm to avoid damping factor.

At the end of the day, you also want to "check" the amp's signature as well. Some amp may change a headphone's sound signature by a lil but not very noticeable most of the times

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,168 of 1,676
I'm trying to decide between a Fiio E10 and a Fiio E07K and want to ask a couple of questions:

Does the device turn itself on and off automatically when plugged into a computer as an E10 would? and
Can I use my regular pc volume controls in place of the buttons on the gadget itself? Does it affect the sound quality noticeably?

I'm asking this because i think it would be uncomfortable to always fiddle with the small buttons on the E07K if I had to turn it on and regularly change volume.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,170 of 1,676
Hello,

You will have to turn on the E07K with a button :) it bypasses both your amp and DAC of your PC thus changing the volume on your desktop does not really affect the sound except for the volume for sure.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back