Fiio D3 / D5 Mini DACs
May 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Posts
565
Likes
19
Fiio had announced two new products - D3 and D5, at the Spring Headphone Festival 2011 in Japan. These DACs are pretty small in physical dimensions (from the picture, D3 may be just slightly bigger than the E5 amp). The D3 has optical and coaxial input and RCA output. It has a switch but I can't tell if that is for switching gain or input. The D5 has USB input and RCA and headphone out.
 
Both are scheduled to be released in this summer. Prices are currently not determined.
 
 

 

 
May 9, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 37

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Posts
4,481
Likes
72


Quote:
Fiio had announced two new products - D3 and D5, at the Spring Headphone Festival 2011 in Japan. These DACs are pretty small in physical dimensions (from the picture, D3 may be just slightly bigger than the E5 amp). The D3 has optical and coaxial input and RCA output. It has a switch but I can't tell if that is for switching gain or input. The D5 has USB input and RCA and headphone out.
 
Both are scheduled to be released in this summer. Prices are currently not determined.
 
 

 


thanks for that find.
 
 
May 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 37

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,629
Likes
10,536
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
The switch on D3 is for optical / Coaxial input selection, I think. The new D series is marketed more toward the regular consumer market (as far as practicality is concerned), which is different from the current E series where it begins to be more audiophiles oriented. AFAIK, there will be another device similar to D5 coming out on the E series as well.
 
May 9, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 37

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Posts
565
Likes
19


Quote:
The switch on D3 is for optical / Coaxial input selection, I think. The new D series is marketed more toward the regular consumer market (as far as practicality is concerned), which is different from the current E series where it begins to be more audiophiles oriented. AFAIK, there will be another device similar to D5 coming out on the E series as well.


Yes, you are right. It is easier to tell from the smaller picture that the switch is for optical / coaxial selection. If there is something similar to D5 in the E series, I am wondering how will it perform against the E7 when paired together with the E11? And is there something similar to D3 in E series too?
 
 
May 9, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 37

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Posts
565
Likes
19


Quote:
This is interesting.  Any word on what DAC this uses?  I'm assuming the same wolfson one in the E7.  If so, I wonder if they've upgraded the USB chip in the D5?

 
This is as much as I can gather. Maybe Feiao will be kind enough to reveal some details?
 
 
May 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 37

JoetheArachnid

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 10, 2010
Posts
702
Likes
42
Subbin'.
popcorn.gif

 
May 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 37

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,629
Likes
10,536
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
May 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 37

JoetheArachnid

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 10, 2010
Posts
702
Likes
42
Looking closer, are those perspex end panels? And if so, are they placeholders or permanent? Because my tech-fetishism dictates that being able to see the innards of things is kind of cool.
 
May 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 37

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Posts
565
Likes
19


Quote:
Looking closer, are those perspex end panels? And if so, are they placeholders or permanent? Because my tech-fetishism dictates that being able to see the innards of things is kind of cool.


Yes, the end plates do look like perspex but the D3 may not be the final product so the plates may be changed to something else, just like the front panel on E7. Anyway, I suppose it will be too small to catch a glimpse on what's inside
tongue.gif

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top