[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
May 30, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,741 of 2,095
Dear friend,

You could check this picture for help:

蓝牙无线传输流程EN.jpeg

Best regards

I think that for the Bluetooth Wireless Transmission (A2DP), the LDAC codec can decide by itself if a real lossless full CD Quality transmission is possible or not when 900/990Kbps birate is selected, otherwise it will be compressed.

May 30, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #1,742 of 2,095
Dear friend,

You could check this picture for help:

Best regards
Thank you, @FiiO

So, can you tell me what do you consider the Optimal Settings? Besides setting LDAC to Optimized for Audio Quality = 909/990kbps, is there anything else you would suggest? Is it better to set 44.1kHz in the Developer Setting on the phone? Is it best to set the bitrate to 24bit? My Galaxy S23 Ultra defaults at 96kHz/32bit.

@FiiO - Here is what Bing told me. Do you agree?

When you listen to a WAV audio file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, the audio file is first read from your phone’s storage and then sent to the Bluetooth transmitter. The Bluetooth transmitter encodes the audio data using the LDAC codec and sends it wirelessly to the FiiO BTR7. The FiiO BTR7 receives the encoded audio data and decodes it using its built-in LDAC decoder. The decoded audio data is then sent to the digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) in the FiiO BTR7, which converts the digital audio data into an analogue signal. This analogue signal is then amplified and sent to your headphones or speakers, allowing you to hear the audio.

In the process of listening to a WAV audio file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, there are two main audio conversions happening. The first conversion is when the Bluetooth transmitter encodes the audio data using the LDAC codec. The second conversion is when the FiiO BTR7 decodes the received audio data using its built-in LDAC decoder. Additionally, there is a digital-to-analogue conversion that takes place when the decoded audio data is sent to the DAC in the FiiO BTR7 and converted into an analogue signal.

To have the best possible audio quality when listening to a 44.1kHz and 16bit WAV file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, you should set the Bluetooth audio codec to LDAC in the Developer settings of your phone. You should also set the Bluetooth audio sample rate to 44.1kHz and the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 16bit. Additionally, you can set the Bluetooth audio LDAC codec playback quality to “Optimized for audio quality (990kbps/909kbps)” to ensure that the highest possible bit rate is used.

If the FiiO BTR7 decodes all audio to 24 bits, then it would be better to set the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 24 bits in the Developer settings of your phone. This will ensure that the audio data is transmitted at the highest possible bit depth and can potentially improve the audio quality.

If your original audio file has a sample rate of 44.1kHz and you leave the Bluetooth audio sample rate at the default of 96kHz on Android 13, the audio data will be upsampled before being transmitted over Bluetooth. Upsampling can introduce artifacts and distortions to the audio signal, which can potentially degrade the audio quality. To ensure the best possible audio quality, it is recommended to set the Bluetooth audio sample rate to match the sample rate of your original audio file.

If your original audio file has a bit depth of 16 bits and the FiiO BTR7 decodes all audio to 24 bits, it would be best to set the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 24 bits in the Developer settings of your phone. This will ensure that the audio data is transmitted at the highest possible bit depth that is supported by both your phone and the FiiO BTR7, which can potentially improve the audio quality. If you leave the Bluetooth audio bits per sample at the default of 32 bits on Android 13, the audio data will be upsampled before being transmitted over Bluetooth, which can introduce artifacts and distortions to the audio signal.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #1,743 of 2,095
Thank you, @FiiO

So, can you tell me what do you consider the Optimal Settings? Besides setting LDAC to Optimized for Audio Quality = 909/990kbps, is there anything else you would suggest? Is it better to set 44.1kHz in the Developer Setting on the phone? Is it best to set the bitrate to 24bit? My Galaxy S23 Ultra defaults at 96kHz/32bit.

When you listen to a WAV audio file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, the audio file is first read from your phone’s storage and then sent to the Bluetooth transmitter. The Bluetooth transmitter encodes the audio data using the LDAC codec and sends it wirelessly to the FiiO BTR7. The FiiO BTR7 receives the encoded audio data and decodes it using its built-in LDAC decoder. The decoded audio data is then sent to the digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) in the FiiO BTR7, which converts the digital audio data into an analogue signal. This analogue signal is then amplified and sent to your headphones or speakers, allowing you to hear the audio.

In the process of listening to a WAV audio file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, there are two main audio conversions happening. The first conversion is when the Bluetooth transmitter encodes the audio data using the LDAC codec. The second conversion is when the FiiO BTR7 decodes the received audio data using its built-in LDAC decoder. Additionally, there is a digital-to-analogue conversion that takes place when the decoded audio data is sent to the DAC in the FiiO BTR7 and converted into an analogue signal.

To have the best possible audio quality when listening to a 44.1kHz and 16bit WAV file from your phone via Bluetooth using the FiiO BTR7, you should set the Bluetooth audio codec to LDAC in the Developer settings of your phone. You should also set the Bluetooth audio sample rate to 44.1kHz and the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 16bit. Additionally, you can set the Bluetooth audio LDAC codec playback quality to “Optimized for audio quality (990kbps/909kbps)” to ensure that the highest possible bit rate is used.

If the FiiO BTR7 decodes all audio to 24 bits, then it would be better to set the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 24 bits in the Developer settings of your phone. This will ensure that the audio data is transmitted at the highest possible bit depth and can potentially improve the audio quality.

If your original audio file has a sample rate of 44.1kHz and you leave the Bluetooth audio sample rate at the default of 96kHz on Android 13, the audio data will be upsampled before being transmitted over Bluetooth. Upsampling can introduce artifacts and distortions to the audio signal, which can potentially degrade the audio quality. To ensure the best possible audio quality, it is recommended to set the Bluetooth audio sample rate to match the sample rate of your original audio file.

If your original audio file has a bit depth of 16 bits and the FiiO BTR7 decodes all audio to 24 bits, it would be best to set the Bluetooth audio bits per sample to 24 bits in the Developer settings of your phone. This will ensure that the audio data is transmitted at the highest possible bit depth that is supported by both your phone and the FiiO BTR7, which can potentially improve the audio quality. If you leave the Bluetooth audio bits per sample at the default of 32 bits on Android 13, the audio data will be upsampled before being transmitted over Bluetooth, which can introduce artifacts and distortions to the audio signal.
Thank you, @FiiO

If your phone is like my Fold 3, I choose the highest settings for everything in the developers menu. It then automatically switches in Amazon Music Unlimited when using the Fiio BTR7 as a wired USB dac including 192khz at 24 bits, which my phones developers menu does not even have an option for. I was pleasantly shocked that using the Fiio BTR7 was bipassing the android resampling kernal and fully using the FIIO BTR7! I'm just afraid now to ever update my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_103951_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_103951_Amazon Music.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 0
May 31, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,744 of 2,095
@Inju , yeah, so? What is that?

What you are posting is the BTR7 connected with a cable to your phone. I am getting exactly the same result on Amazon Music when I connect my BTR7 with a cable to my phone.

My question has to do with Bluetooth connection. I am asking about the optimal settings when I connect via Bluetooth.

May 31, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #1,745 of 2,095

What you are posting is the BTR7 connected with a cable to your phone. I am getting exactly the same result on Amazon Music when I connect my BTR7 with a cable to my phone.

My question has to do with Bluetooth connection. I am asking about the optimal settings when I connect via Bluetooth.

For a few years LDAC is a very mature Codec now and with almost no more issues with any hardware handling BT 5.x drivers.
It's mostly fully automatic for best sound quality after you have chosen to prioritize sound quality (990/909 Kbps) over stability (330/303 or 660/606 Kbps) in developers mode. You shouldn't change anything else (sampling rate/ bits number), as it can only be a limitation of the sound quality transmission and can never be an increase.

LDAC will by itself use a lossless transmission every time it is possible to do it (CD quality can require till 1200Kbps), you can't force anything on your side to ensure the transmission will be lossless. Any Hires (over 24/44.1, all files will be significantly compressed for BT transmission)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,746 of 2,095
For a few years LDAC is a very mature Codec now and with almost no more issues with any hardware handling BT 5.x drivers.
It's mostly fully automatic for best sound quality after you have chosen to prioritize sound quality (990/909 Kbps) over stability (330/303 or 660/606 Kbps) in developers mode. You shouldn't change anything else (sampling rate/ bits number), as it can only be a limitation of the sound quality transmission and can never be an increase.

LDAC will by itself use a lossless transmission every time it is possible to do it (CD quality can require till 1200Kbps), you can't force anything on your side to ensure the transmission will be lossless.
Okay, I see.

So, you disagree with Bing AI response, I have provided above?

Because it looks logic to me to also change the Bluetooth audio sample rate from the default 96kHz to 44.1kHz and the bits per sample to 24 bits from the default 32.
(@FiiO , what is your opinion about this?)

Are you saying I should not do that?
Do you have any source(s) for this?

I am not trying to ensure any lossless Bluetooth transmission, I know this does not exist. I am just trying to set up the optimal settings for Bluetooth on my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,747 of 2,095
Okay, I see.

So, you disagree with Bing AI response, I have provided above?

Because it looks logic to me to also change the Bluetooth audio sample rate from the default 96kHz to 44.1kHz and the bits per sample to 24 bits from the default 32.
(@FiiO , what is your opinion about this?)

Are you saying I should not do that?
Do you have any source(s) for this?

I am not trying to ensure any lossless Bluetooth transmission, I know this does not exist. I am just trying to set up the optimal settings for Bluetooth on my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.
Best explanation I have seen (from Qudelix):

Optimal LDAC Sample Rate

Sony LDAC supports the sample rate up to 96KHz. Typically, most source audio is 44.1KHz, and YouTube Audio streaming is 44.1KHz as well. Android automatically selects the highest LDAC sample rate, 96KHz, and it upsamples the source audio to 96KHz for the LDAC encoder. For a 44.1KHz source, encoding 44.1KHz@909kbps would provide slightly better sound quality than encoding 96KHz(Oversampled)@990kbps. You can opt-out the supported LDAC frequencies and fix the LDAC sample rate to 44.1KHz. If you usually listen to 44.1KHz sources, fixing the LDAC sample rate at 44.1KHz, as is, would provide the best sound quality as well as slightly longer battery time.

May 31, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #1,748 of 2,095
Best explanation I have seen (from Qudelix):

Optimal LDAC Sample Rate

Sony LDAC supports the sample rate up to 96KHz. Typically, most source audio is 44.1KHz, and YouTube Audio streaming is 44.1KHz as well. Android automatically selects the highest LDAC sample rate, 96KHz, and it upsamples the source audio to 96KHz for the LDAC encoder. For a 44.1KHz source, encoding 44.1KHz@909kbps would provide slightly better sound quality than encoding 96KHz(Oversampled)@990kbps. You can opt-out the supported LDAC frequencies and fix the LDAC sample rate to 44.1KHz. If you usually listen to 44.1KHz sources, fixing the LDAC sample rate at 44.1KHz, as is, would provide the best sound quality as well as slightly longer battery time.
Exactly!
Thank you!

So, the optimal settings on a smartphone for LDAC using the BTR7 are:
Bluetooth audio sample rate = 44.1kHz
Bluetooth audio bits per sample = 24 bits
LDAC codec playback quality = Optimized for audio quality (990kbps/909kbps)

If anyone has any objections, let us know.

PS: @FiiO , I'd appreciate it if you could confirm.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,749 of 2,095
Exactly!
Thank you!

So, the optimal settings on a smartphone for LDAC using the BTR7 are:
Bluetooth audio sample rate = 44.1kHz
Bluetooth audio bits per sample = 24 bits
LDAC codec playback quality = Optimized for audio quality (990kbps/909kbps)

If anyone has any objections, let us know.

PS: @FiiO , I'd appreciate it if you could confirm.

No, unless you need to spare some battery playing time (probably really not significant compared to select AAC instead LDAC if more battery is needed) => best sound quality must be chosen by the LDAC from 96/24-32 (990-909kbps) .. it will downsize alone to 44.1/16-24 if needed even lossless when possible..
LDAC is a very sophisticated codec with some long and high experience from Sony with HiRes matter inside..
If you force 44.1/24 you surely degrade sound quality for any 96/24 Flac/Streaming music which are very frequent with Qobuz.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,750 of 2,095
@newworld666 okay, so you say, LDAC very sophisticated, it automatically does everything, no need to change anything, etc.
Do you have a link or links, where I could read a bit about what you claim?

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,751 of 2,095
No, unless you need to spare some battery playing time (probably really not significant compared to select AAC instead LDAC if more battery is needed) => best sound quality must be chosen by the LDAC from 96/24-32 (990-909kbps) .. it will downsize alone to 44.1/16-24 if needed even lossless when possible..
LDAC is a very sophisticated codec with some long and high experience from Sony with HiRes matter inside..
If you force 44.1/24 you surely degrade sound quality for any 96/24 Flac/Streaming music which are very frequent with Qobuz.
Qudelix explains that if your audio source is 44.1KHz, it's better to set LDAC to same.

It's all about avoid resampling, which can mess with the audio chain, adding artifacts.

Though Qudelix don't talk about bit depth, I assume it's the same: set accordingly to your audio source.

Then you only have a resample when QCC5124 upsample to 24 bit before send it to ES9219 DAC.

Is this right, @FiiO?

May 31, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,752 of 2,095

Amazon app bypasses Android audio driver? That's a new one.

May 31, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #1,753 of 2,095
May 31, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,754 of 2,095
Qudelix explains that if your audio source is 44.1KHz, it's better to set LDAC to same.

It's all about avoid resampling, which can mess with the audio chain, adding artifacts.

Though Qudelix don't talk about bit depth, I assume it's the same: set accordingly to your audio source.

Then you only have a resample when QCC5124 upsample to 24 bit before send it to ES9219 DAC.

Is this right, @FiiO?
@newworld666 , I agree with @pacmanbr

It is always better to set LDAC to the same specs as your audio source.

You claim that LDAC is sophisticated enough so that, if left on its Default = 96kHz and 32bit on Android 13, then it can manage everything on its own without any artifacts.

Do you have any source(s) about your claims?

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,755 of 2,095
Increasing bit-depth does not affect the audio material, it's just padding. 32-bit is something most USB dongles use for XMOS receiver as it provides the best compatibility for different bit-depth material (superset).
96khz vs 44.1, well there will be up sampling, how much it will affect the output depends on the quality of the upsamplers, there was a trend a while back to upsample everything in audio players (SoX, SRCC, etc), DAC will oversample the signal anyway, so you can leave it at 96K for best compatibility in case you have high res material or if limited to 44.1Khz redbook only, set to 44.1 and save battery life as resampling will not be taking place.
Test yourself if you see any sonic difference between the two. I personally just leave it at 96K but set bitrate to 909/990kbps.

Looks like Qudelix explanation above covers this already in great details, what other confirmation do you need?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back