[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
May 31, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,756 of 2,107
@newworld666 , I agree with @pacmanbr

It is always better to set LDAC to the same specs as your audio source.

You claim that LDAC is sophisticated enough so that, if left on its Default = 96kHz and 32bit on Android 13, then it can manage everything on its own without any artifacts.

Do you have any source(s) about your claims?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec) ..
Only Sony knows how they manage exactly their hybrid coding scheme based on the modified discrete cosine transform and Huffman coding .... But, I never seen any measurements showing that to select manually the source format bits or frequency is better than the automatic selection by Sony's codec while reading the file..

For sure with many of my devices and Bluethooth Codec Changer android 's app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter&hl=fr&gl=US, I can easily make a direct A/B comparison with profiles based on AAC vs LDAC and LDAC at 330kbps vs LDAC 990 kbps.. But 44.1khz vs 96khz on a 44.1 khz file => absolutely ZERO impact for sound..
Try by yourself with your own ears, it's very simple..

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,757 of 2,107
Amazon app bypasses Android audio driver? That's a new one.

I don't think so. Amazon music is a mess, at one time it upsampled everything to 192 kHz (on some DAPs). Now it's inconsistent and can vary depending on the hardware. On some DAPs, it's 192 kHz and others 44.1 kHz. Same issues via USB as well.

May 31, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,758 of 2,107
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec) ..
Only Sony knows how they manage exactly their hybrid coding scheme based on the modified discrete cosine transform and Huffman coding .... But, I never seen any measurements showing that to select manually the source format bits or frequency is better than the automatic selection by Sony's codec while reading the file..

For sure with many of my devices and Bluethooth Codec Changer android 's app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amrg.bluetooth_codec_converter&hl=fr&gl=US, I can easily make a direct A/B comparison with profiles based on AAC vs LDAC and LDAC at 330kbps vs LDAC 990 kbps.. But 44.1khz vs 96khz on a 44.1 khz file => absolutely ZERO impact for sound..
Try by yourself with your own ears, it's very simple..
Exactly! Only Sony knows. This is why your claim, that LDAC is sophisticated enough to manage the up/down sampling non-destructively cannot be proven, unless you have access to the code and the knowledge to interpret it.

So, for me personally, and since all my FLACs and WAVs are on 44.1kHz, and YouTube Premium as well, I will be setting at 44.1kHz / 24 bit, in the Developer Settings. Now, for Amazon Music Unlimited, I might leave it at 96kHz. Amazon is kind of a mess, anyway.

Finally, all these questions had absolutely nothing to do with what I, you, or anyone else can hear. I might not be able to hear any difference but I would surely like to know the Optimal Settings for Bluetooth Audio.

PS: I hope @FiiO , who has been mentioned multiple times in the recent posts, will chime in, as well, and offer a reply about their product.

May 31, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,759 of 2,107
double post - site glitch - deleted

May 31, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,760 of 2,107
Exactly! Only Sony knows. This is why your claim, that LDAC is sophisticated enough to manage the up/down sampling non-destructively cannot be proven, unless you have access to the code and the knowledge to interpret it.

So, for me personally, and since all my FLACs and WAVs are on 44.1kHz, and YouTube Premium as well, I will be setting at 44.1kHz / 24 bit, in the Developer Settings. Now, for Amazon Music Unlimited, I might leave it at 96kHz. Amazon is kind of a mess, anyway.

Finally, all these questions had absolutely nothing to do with what I, you, or anyone else can hear. I might not be able to hear any difference but I would surely like to know the Optimal Settings for Bluetooth Audio.

PS: I hope @FiiO , who has been mentioned multiple times in the recent posts, will chime in, as well, and offer a reply about their product.

For me, it sounds like silly to imagine manual selection codec's limits (in android dev mod) for each songs in a playlists would be better for sound quality than Sony's automated proper selection by reading each file's header..
We are maybe living in different worlds :L3000: :L3000: :L3000: .. I wish you to have a nice time switching parameters manually in developpers mode for each files you want to listen !!!

May 31, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,761 of 2,107
For me, it sounds like silly to imagine manual selection codec's limits (in android dev mod) for each songs in a playlists would be better for sound quality than Sony's automated proper selection by reading each file's header..
We are maybe living in different worlds :L3000: :L3000: :L3000: .. I wish you to have a nice time switching parameters manually in developpers mode for each files you want to listen !!!
For me it sounds silly and funny that you cannot understand the obvious ---> All my Music files, stored on my phone, are WAV files, all of them at 44.1kHz. YouTube Premium plays at 44.1kHz, as well. So, for an entire day I can set it once and forget it. Now, on the next day if I decide to listen to Amazon, I won't touch these specific settings. That's all :)

I can imagine I am setting it at Optimal, exactly the same way you can imagine that LDAC sophisticatedly and automatically converts everything non-destructively.
Sony's automated proper selection by reading each file's header...? From where did you get that and how do you know what exactly does it do?

Anyways, we disagree about this, so you can move on. You have not proven your point, though.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,762 of 2,107
And discussion on this very topic on ASR.
Afraid there is no definite answer, in theory matching transmission to source bitrate might be beneficial, but with already lossy encoding in place it's more of a toss.
If flipping bitrate in Developer Option each time you connect the device or use different res track makes it sound better, by all means do it, I personally wouldn't bother as chances of hearing any difference are null.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,763 of 2,107
And discussion on this very topic on ASR.
Afraid there is no definite answer, in theory matching transmission to source bitrate might be beneficial, but with already lossy encoding in place it's more of a toss.
If flipping bitrate in Developer Option each time you connect the device or use different res track makes it sound better, by all means do it, I personally wouldn't bother as chances of hearing any difference are null.
Thank you for the link!

You have a valid point. On the other hand, If me or anyone else is willing to listen to an entire session of their 44.1kHz FLAC/WAV/mp3 files, I do not see why not. You're going once into the Developer Settings, already, to set it to Optimised for Audio Quality.

May 31, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #1,764 of 2,107
@Inju , yeah, so? What is that?

What you are posting is the BTR7 connected with a cable to your phone. I am getting exactly the same result on Amazon Music when I connect my BTR7 with a cable to my phone.

My question has to do with Bluetooth connection. I am asking about the optimal settings when I connect via Bluetooth.
It's the same settings for Bluetooth, just choose the highest rates and it will switch. Make sure to enable LDAC by going to your Bluetooth settings and enabling LDAC (second photo). Keep in mind these settings only appear when the BTR7 is connected, so don't try to make the changes if it's not connected to your phone. Also, sadly you have to reapply the play back quality everytime you reconnect because it always resets to best effort. Also strangely Amazon Music will show the Bluetooth device playing at 192, so it's likely upsampling at the BTR7. Keep in mind when using bluetooth it won't be exactly perfect because of LDAC resampling, which is not lossless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_103858_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_103858_Amazon Music.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230531_190417_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_190417_Settings.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230531_190523_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_190523_Settings.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 0
May 31, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,765 of 2,107
It's the same settings for Bluetooth, just choose the highest rates and it will switch. Make sure to enable LDAC by going to your Bluetooth settings and enabling LDAC (second photo). Keep in mind these settings only appear when the BTR7 is connected, so don't try to make the changes if it's not connected to your phone. Also, sadly you have to reapply the play back quality everytime you reconnect because it always resets to best effort. Also strangely Amazon Music will show the Bluetooth device playing at 192, so it's likely upsampling at the BTR7. Keep in mind when using bluetooth it won't be exactly perfect because of LDAC resampling, which is not lossless.
Sorry didn't read the comments below your response to my post. I had believed that ldac would not resample but would match the stream up to 92Khz but after reading the comments and seeing the strange 192Khz on Amazon Music unlimited on the Bluetooth device I believe it would be setting your settings based on your streaming source. What a pain.

May 31, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,766 of 2,107
Thank you for the link!

You have a valid point. On the other hand, If me or anyone else is willing to listen to an entire session of their 44.1kHz FLAC/WAV/mp3 files, I do not see why not. You're going once into the Developer Settings, already, to set it to Optimised for Audio Quality.
I would suggest you simply do what you want to do. What you see is that there are many opinions, and a bit of uncertainty. I don’t think you will get the definitive answer you are looking for, and you clearly have a strong opinion, so just do what you want, and enjoy the music.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #1,767 of 2,107
Okay, I see.

So, you disagree with Bing AI response, I have provided above?

Because it looks logic to me to also change the Bluetooth audio sample rate from the default 96kHz to 44.1kHz and the bits per sample to 24 bits from the default 32.
(@FiiO , what is your opinion about this?)

Are you saying I should not do that?
Do you have any source(s) for this?

I am not trying to ensure any lossless Bluetooth transmission, I know this does not exist. I am just trying to set up the optimal settings for Bluetooth on my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.
Dear friend,

We have not examined this. But regardless of 44.1K or 96K the source , the transmission process of cell phone audio will be to re-encoded into LDAC (lossy encoding) and then sent out to the Bluetooth receiver. We could not tell the sound quality difference between 44.1k or 96k since sound preference is individual.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,768 of 2,107
Managed to pickup a BTR7 box damaged for only £119, so even though perfectly happy with my original BTR5 I thought 'why not' 🙂

Sounds even better as most of you know, and case nearly matches that of my Sony A307 !

I put a little sticky back clip on the back for attaching to shirt (short cable) or belt (long cable).

Here with my Fiio FD7 4.4mm

20230606_133057.jpg

20230606_133107.jpg

Here with short 2.5mm Fiio cable with dd 4.4mm adapter and Shure SE846.

20230606_133611.jpg

Very practicle walking/biking and sounds better than any buds I've tried. Buds can be a pain cycling with gloves on while no issue with BTR7 (or BTR5).

20230606_134740.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,769 of 2,107
I don't think so. Amazon music is a mess, at one time it upsampled everything to 192 kHz (on some DAPs). Now it's inconsistent and can vary depending on the hardware. On some DAPs, it's 192 kHz and others 44.1 kHz. Same issues via USB as well.
Mine does switch and matches most times. Let me check right now. Kate Bush Running Up That Hill, 24 bit 44.1 weirdly goes to 16 bit 44.1 (1st image). Cold Play, 24 bit 192 goes to the expected 24 bit 96khz in LDAC (2nd Image). This is so strange, then Tron Derezzed stays at 24 bit 44.1 to 24 bit 44.1 (3rd image). I just noticed something though. Kate Bush Running Up That Hill is labelled as HD, while Tron is labelled as Ultra HD though both are showing track quality as 24 bit 44.1. So either Kate Bush is actually 16 bit and not 24 and/or Amazon is mislabeling it's music? For me since I use Amazon Music the most for streaming music and don't mind plugging in, I will set mine to the highest level of 192 since it does switch accurately most times and when wired 192 stays as 192.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607_163441_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_163441_Amazon Music.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230607_163548_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_163548_Amazon Music.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230607_164120_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_164120_Amazon Music.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230607_164859_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_164859_Amazon Music.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230607_164908_Amazon Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_164908_Amazon Music.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,770 of 2,107
I'll likely be returning the BTR7. It just keeps dropping signal for me. For some reason it keeps trying to reconnect. I told myself if it drops the signal one more time I'm returning it. I said this like seven times before finally saying it has to go, because I was really enjoying the device when it works. It seems to be happening mostly in the same location of my gf's apartment which makes me believe a neighbor may have some sort of bluetooth device that's always pairing and the BTR7 is just sensitive to this, I really don't know. I just ordered an A & K SR35 DAP to replace this with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back