[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #601 of 2,101
Hi,

I had a question about the BTR7 i don't think this has been asked and was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this?

Would it be possible to connect USB C headphones so using the USB C as an audio out?

I tried this with some Audeze Mobius headphone with a USB C connection and I couldn't get it to work. The Audeze Mobius also has a 3.5 connection so isn't an issue with these but potentially there are some headphone I might purchase in the future that only has USB C and no 3.5 connection.

I've seen some cables that are USB C to 3.5 but seem to work USB C to 3.5 and I want 3.5 to USB C that might be a work around if you can't have the BTR7 straight to a USB headphone connection.

Thanks all
USB-C is a digital interface, not an analog one. If you were to (able to) plug them into a BTR7, you would be completely bypassing both the DACs and the AMPs in the BTR7, which just about defeats the purpose of using a BTR7 in the first place. USB-C headphones will have their own tiny little internal DAC and AMP (almost certainly inferior to those in the BTR7), and that is what you would be using instead.

So... yeah. Not much point, IMO. 🤷‍♂️

Aug 29, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #603 of 2,101
So I did some full charge cycles to test out the battery life of the BTR7 unit I have on hand.
1661795373377.png
I got a bit over 8 hours high gain with moderate volumes LDAC mode. The Fiio FF3 45 ohm buds in balanced 4.4mm out
In single ended using one of my IEMs I got a bit over 10 hours in high gain.

I fully charged both rounds of battery test and just let music play via my Fiio M15 for the necessary test.
To me this is very acceptable as far as battery life goes considering its SQ and power output.

As far as pocketablilty goes. I use them in one of my shirt pockets during the day. Thing might not be tiny but I doubt you can get the same SQ and power from anything smaller. It is very pocketable. Can't wait for the new case with the clip however.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #604 of 2,101
No doubt that is the case for you. Do you have a BTR7? I think it would be useful to hear from BTR7 owners. Do they see this solely as a desktop replacement?

I own the BTR5 and based on the side by side photos with the BTR7 I have seen, I would have no issue using the BTR7 on the go - BTR7 still seems quite pocket friendly. But that is just me, and just based on photos. Obviously you feel differently.
I do travel a lot and fly international twice a year and stay for a month or two. I use the M0 when flying and when I’m out. It’s small and when paired with a very efficient iem it gets the job done. I did just buy the AP80 pro-x to replace the M0. I do take my ADI-2 and an over ear on these linger trips which is paired with my laptop and stays in the hotel.

Now to answer your question.. No, I do not own the BTR7 yet but will soon own before December for an up coming trip. By then the bugs get ironed out to. Which also means I will no longer be lugging the RME.
to me, the BTR7 is very pocket friendly. Used it throughout the weekend while doing yard work, replace it with the BTR5 when the battery needs charging ( a lot of yard work this weekend). BTR3 is the backup to the backup but rarely, if ever, need to use it
I’m pretty sure anything can be pocket friendly if one wants it to be. I just see it differently for my intended use. When backpacking the BTR7 would be perfect to me but not so when it’s bulging in my jeans/pants pocket.

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #605 of 2,101
No doubt that is the case for you. Do you have a BTR7? I think it would be useful to hear from BTR7 owners. Do they see this solely as a desktop replacement?

I own the BTR5 and based on the side by side photos with the BTR7 I have seen, I would have no issue using the BTR7 on the go - BTR7 still seems quite pocket friendly. But that is just me, and just based on photos. Obviously you feel differently.

I am with @quimbo and @Dsnuts the BTR7 is easily pocketable. If anything is the definition of "small", it must surely be able to fit in the jeans (pocket watch section of a pair of jeans (denims).

The BTR7 just slides in that tiny pocket with ease and I mean all of it goes down that pocket, I just thought I would pull it halfway out in order that the BTR7 is easily identified.

20220829_192243.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #606 of 2,101
I am with @quimbo and @Dsnuts the BTR7 is easily pocketable. If anything is the definition of "small", it must surely be able to fit in the jeans (pocket watch section of a pair of jeans (denims).

The BTR7 just slides in that tiny pocket with ease and I mean all of it goes down that pocket, I just thought I would pull it halfway out in order that the BTR7 is easily identified.

20220829_192243.jpg
No doubt it’s pocketable, anything that fits in the pocket is “pocketable”. How pocket friendly tho? Is it comfortable to sit down with the BTR7 in the 5th pocket? Does it feel like it’s not there? Or do you feel like you want to stick it out a bit in your jean’s 5th pocket?

Anyway, everyone has different views in correlation to personal use application.

BTR7 is an impressively spec’d device and will be acquiring one soon as stated but for other reasons and not as an EDC.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #607 of 2,101
Heya, i've got a quick question.
Does anyone know if you can connect the BTR7 to a Playstation 4 or Playstation 5 as a BT audio source?
Reason im asking is because if i can plug my Focal Utopia via the 4.4mm and be able to sit on the bed away from the tv and watch movies on my ps4. that would be amazing and i'd definitely pull the trigger. I've read that it works with a Nintendo Switch via USB-C interface. so thats ok.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #608 of 2,101
No doubt it’s pocketable, anything that fits in the pocket is “pocketable”. How pocket friendly tho? Is it comfortable to sit down with the BTR7 in the 5th pocket? Does it feel like it’s not there? Or do you feel like you want to stick it out a bit in your jean’s 5th pocket?

Anyway, everyone has different views in correlation to personal use application.

BTR7 is an impressively spec’d device and will be acquiring one soon as stated but for other reasons and not as an EDC.
As you correctly stated the answer to your question, whether or not the BTR7 is "pocket friendly" is entirely subjective. I would also point out that my use of the "fifth pocket" is to illustrate the size of the device (which I understood was the original question). It follows that given the BTR7 fits in the smallest pocket in most attires, it should fit in most other pockets, if discomfort becomes an issue.

As you correctly stated, the BTR7 is an "impressively spec'd device" and I trust your experience with the BTR7 (when you aquire your unit) would be a pleasure.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #609 of 2,101
No doubt it’s pocketable, anything that fits in the pocket is “pocketable”. How pocket friendly tho? Is it comfortable to sit down with the BTR7 in the 5th pocket?
Depends on tightness of your pants and size of the thing inside them.
Silly discussion to be honest, as you still have to have your much larger phone somewhere.
For people questioning portability of match box size dongle, just remember where we were not that far ago with cables, DACs, portable amps all piled up and held together with some rubber bands.

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #610 of 2,101
Silly discussion to be honest, as you still have to have your much larger phone somewhere.
For people questioning portability of match box size dongle, just remember where we were not that far ago with cables, DACs, portable amps all piled up and held together with some rubber bands.
Not really a silly discussion as like you mentioned, one has to carry a phone or in some cases 2 phones (I carry an iPhone and android phone), wallet and keys. Yeah it can get ridiculously crowded in one’s pants fast. Valid points to consider IMO.

Anyway, the BTR7 is indeed on a different league and category of what it’s able to do and offer. I am getting one mainly as a travel desktop DAC/amp replacement and keep using small dap (M0 to be replaced by an AP80 pro-x) during 14-18hr long flights.

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #611 of 2,101

An idea... if you are looking for a desktop replacement, and larger size is not an issue since you intend to use it as something other than EDC, what about the new Topping G5? That looks like quite a desktop replacement...

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #612 of 2,101
it is silly discussion indeed. people have the size information available and still have these questions about size and pocket-ability.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #613 of 2,101
Not really a silly discussion as like you mentioned, one has to carry a phone or in some cases 2 phones (I carry an iPhone and android phone), wallet and keys. Yeah it can get ridiculously crowded in one’s pants fast. Valid points to consider IMO.

Anyway, the BTR7 is indeed on a different league and category of what it’s able to do and offer. I am getting one mainly as a travel desktop DAC/amp replacement and keep using small dap (M0 to be replaced by an AP80 pro-x) during 14-18hr long flights.
Ever thought of something like this?
8149NuNzN3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #614 of 2,101
@FiiO, may I suggest a couple of software improvements.

The notification for "low battery" seems to be about five minutes before the battery runs out. There is a notification which comes up on my phone, which is a great addition compared to the BTR5.

I suggest, like on the BTR5, there ought to be two notifications, for example one notification about fifteen minutes before the battery runs out and the other five minutes before the battery runs out both with sonic notifications, exactly what the BTR5 offers now.

The wireless charging works well. Although I have not had the opportunity to charge the device wirelessly for a meaningful length of time. However, what I noticed is that when taken off the charger, the visual battery meter goes missing.

My suggestion is to keep the visual battery meter on after the BTR7 is taken off wireless charging.

Great device, which requires a few software tweaks.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #615 of 2,101
@FiiO, may I suggest a couple of software improvements.

The notification for "low battery" seems to be about five minutes before the battery runs out. There is a notification which comes up on my phone, which is a great addition compared to the BTR5.

I suggest, like on the BTR5, there ought to be two notifications, for example one notification about fifteen minutes before the battery runs out and the other five minutes before the battery runs out both with sonic notifications, exactly what the BTR5 offers now.

The wireless charging works well. Although I have not had the opportunity to charge the device wirelessly for a meaningful length of time. However, what I noticed is that when taken off the charger, the visual battery meter goes missing.

My suggestion is to keep the visual battery meter on after the BTR7 is taken off wireless charging.

Great device, which requires a few software tweaks.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. I will report to the engineer for assessing about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back