[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #826 of 2,095
I just received my BTR7. I'm sure they did, but has anyone compared the Balanced output vs the Unbalanced output and noticed any sound quality differences? If so, can you point me where the post was or can someone chime in with their thoughts?
I just tested it and with Balanced there is a slightly wider stage size and maybe slightly better Imaging, I am surprised to find that the improvement isn't that big going from SE to Balanced. With some of my previous DACs like BTR5, Sparrow, Gryphon... the SE output used to be a lot softer sounding and closed in compared to Balanced which sounded wider and clearer.

I used IEM's for my testing (Hook-X, Diana...) so if you don't mind an intimate presentation and aren't limited by power then just using SE on BTR7 is not going to be an issue. Details & clarity is the same between both outputs, it's mostly the soundstage that's different.

While I haven't compared the two outputs with Headphones, my guess would be Balanced would be the better option in the case cause of the extra power.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #827 of 2,095
I've run the BTR7 on "Boost Balanced Out Mode" on LCD 2.2 PF and LCD 3. It drove them great. I'm really impressed by this thing. I can't wait until they come up with something new for the BTR9.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #829 of 2,095
Well, some conclusion after receiving my unit:

- Sound: the amplification is nice, sounds like it should be. Using the WHIZZER HE03D that need some powa to work, it sounds just perfect.
- charging: the ability to get energy from the phone/pc is nice, and you got a button to on/off the feature
- update, on the go via Bluetooth, impressive.
- Mqa, total unfold via UAPP

Compared to the BTR5 or the BTR3K is in another level, I prefer the more serious design of the old ones, but this is build like a tank.

Btw, the review of the WHIZZER is coming soon, but I can told you, Im really surprised by the quality of the driver and the package for 150€
Question - when you listen to MQA, does the unit display the correct unfolded bit rate? Mine (from Android phone) shows MQA, but always 48K, not the actual unfolded bit rate. I am on the latest FW.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #831 of 2,095
How does the btr7 perform used as a usb-dac? Any restrictions regarding functionallity?
Needs to be charged to be used as a USB DAC but if you're plugged into something like a desktop, it isn't an issue.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #832 of 2,095
How does the btr7 perform used as a usb-dac? Any restrictions regarding functionallity?
aside from the obvious (better sound quality), you cannot use the PEQ in USB Mode. Other than that, I don't notice any other limitations. If you are a tidal user, you get extra decoding (8x if I remember right) with USB Input.

Because it has an internal battery, it dosen't drain the phones battery (RU6 had that issue for me) just make sure to toggle the charge button to off.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #833 of 2,095
aside from the obvious (better sound quality), you cannot use the PEQ in USB Mode. Other than that, I don't notice any other limitations. If you are a tidal user, you get extra decoding (8x if I remember right) with USB Input.

Because it has an internal battery, it dosen't drain the phones battery (RU6 had that issue for me) just make sure to toggle the charge button to off.
So if I understand correctly, if you connect with usb, to get better sound quality, the option of PEQ dissapeares, so if there is any freq you’d like to adjust because you don’t like it, you have to accept the sound amplification and quality as is… that is really a downer to my honest opinion.

Why would you do that in a design???

I am not a eq fan, mostly like it flat, but on more than one occassion I adjust lower bass frequenties, I really hate too loud bass, hurts my ears.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #834 of 2,095
Thank you
I made the firmware update yesterday when I got the BTR7 and it's FW1.71... I just saw a Graphic EQ and just tried to activate the equilizer, but I get a message that I am connected in LDAC ..

When I am not in LDAC mode I could see et PEQ parameters .. so sorry ..

Any reason that EQ is not allowed in LDAC mode ? do I miss something ?
Propably messed the design up, so list now, ldac no peq, connected to usb no peq… what is the benefit if this dac is the best option is removed the moment you connect it to usb??

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #835 of 2,095
What is the benefit if this dac is the best option is removed the moment you connect it to usb??
Bit-perfect mode

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #836 of 2,095
So if I understand correctly, if you connect with usb, to get better sound quality, the option of PEQ dissapeares, so if there is any freq you’d like to adjust because you don’t like it, you have to accept the sound amplification and quality as is… that is really a downer to my honest opinion.

Why would you do that in a design???

I am not a eq fan, mostly like it flat, but on more than one occassion I adjust lower bass frequenties, I really hate too loud bass, hurts my ears.
It is not because of some mysterious reason why PEQ can't be used on USB DAC mode - the PEQ function is built upon the DSP function of the Bluetooth controller chip / SoC. When used as USB DAC however, the XMOS USB chip will take control and bypass the BT chip all together (*this allows BTR7 to decode hires PCM as well as MQA that otherwise won't be supported by the BT chip). Since BT chip is not in use, it is only natural that the DSP / PEQ function doesn't work.

On extra note, you can use PEQ enabled app on your PC / Android / whatever source with BTR7 as USB DAC and the result should be near identical to that of using the BTR7 internal PEQ function, so you shouldn't lose any functionality that way.

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #837 of 2,095
On extra note, you can use PEQ enabled app on your PC / Android / whatever source with BTR7 as USB DAC and the result should be near identical to that of using the BTR7 internal PEQ function, so you shouldn't lose any functionality that way.
I was going to say that too, but you already did. In USB mode, there's always the option to EQ from the source itself - people often seem to forget that. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #839 of 2,095
I agree, but not with every source.

I don't know of any portable DAC that offers PEQ with USB. You can use Wavelet or Poweramp Equalizer at the source if you are using Android 9 or above, or Roon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #840 of 2,095
I don't know of any portable DAC that offers PEQ with USB. You can use Wavelet or Poweramp Equalizer at the source if you are using Android 9 or above, or Roon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think for powerampEQ and Wavelet you need Android 10 or above to access all features..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back