[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #811 of 2,103
Okay so I got my Btr7 in the mail and after first impressions, what the heck?! It sounds cleaner than my iFi Zen stack and gets both my HE-X4 (3.5mm) and M1570 (4.4mm) loud enough comfortably with plenty more power available (currently have it at 50 on the BTR7 and about 5 notches up on my S22 Ultra which is about 1/3rd the volume slider).

Gonna use this a bit more and contemplate getting rid of the Zen stack...

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #812 of 2,103
Okay so I got my Btr7 in the mail and after first impressions, what the heck?! It sounds cleaner than my iFi Zen stack and gets both my HE-X4 (3.5mm) and M1570 (4.4mm) loud enough comfortably with plenty more power available (currently have it at 50 on the BTR7 and about 5 notches up on my S22 Ultra which is about 1/3rd the volume slider).

Gonna use this a bit more and contemplate getting rid of the Zen stack...
THX AAA amps do tend to sound very clean :relaxed:

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #813 of 2,103
Yes, I know that there are some streaming services whose applications allow you to bypass the android mixer and use the DAC in exclusive mode. But I use a service that doesn't have that option.
This is UAPP, it is not streaming service application, Android player with support for some streaming services (Tidal, Qobuz).

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #815 of 2,103
Questyle M15 +++
LP W1 +
to me are superior to BTR7 (own all)
Qudelix 5K is better than BTR7 imho, more neutral and fantastic app, way better BT stability...
I will have to disagree here after using both Questyle M15 and BTR7. Questyle M15 processing power seems lesser than BTR7. It distorts early and lot more when increasing resolution and sampling rate. It almost refuses to play 32B, 384KHz or plays highly distorted when volume is increased and used with full sized cans (Arya in my case). Distortion is lesser in case of BTR7. BTR7 can play high resolution and high sampling rate with much lesser distortion. These are just empirical observations but measurements should confirm/deny these.
So two important points:
1. This is why measurements are important. Basically to identify glitches/boundaries of the device.
2. These devices should not be used for purposes they are not meant to be used for (i.e. stress loads .. high resolution, high sampling rate, high volume, demanding full sized cans :) )

SQ wise .. if played under normal conditions (reasonable resolution/sampling rates and IEMs) M15 seems to provide more power and hence louder sound at lesser volume when compared to BTR7. That is why they may seem to sound better. Volume matched .. I doubt they are "+++" sounding better than BTR7! :) To me they seem at par or even at sub par than BTR7.
For loaded conditions, for lack of battery .. and for price, I think BTR7 are +++ than M15.

Just my views as observed from my "ears" :) Let the numbers and measurements speak.

Update: Also Volume control on device is huge benefit on BTR7.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #816 of 2,103
Does anyone knows if BTR 7 can show MQA through Tidal app on Android. Not like BTR 5 2021.
I am considering it, because I had problems after the newest firmware on BTR5. Still have to use UAPP

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #817 of 2,103
Bought the BTR7 yesterday, arrived today. Nice wee device.

Currently using with Fiio FF3, using wireless it has a nice musical warm sound, this is probably due to the bass if the FF3 earbuds.

Not tried it wired, can't see me using it wired to be honest, bought it for the Bluetooth capabilities

I struggled to find one in the UK with the USB-C option.
Hifonix was where I bought, seem to be the only place with stock

Pictured with some new iems that arrived today as well

20220930_160831.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #819 of 2,103
I struggled to find one in the UK with the USB-C option.

My understanding is that both versions are 100% identical (USB-C), just that the Apple version comes with an extra cable for the Lightning connector.

So had you bought the Apple version, you would have had the same thing, just with an added cable you don’t need (and for a little bit extra money).

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #820 of 2,103
@FiiO It's great to see the effort your team is putting in developing and updating the iOS app. Can I make a request that the PEQ parameters can be entered in a table format? It will be much easier to enter and see all the numbers together.

I am fine for you to take inspiration from Qudelix:

97DF9439-CD8A-467A-97B3-C07DBB0D4001.png

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #821 of 2,103
I just received my BTR7. I'm sure they did, but has anyone compared the Balanced output vs the Unbalanced output and noticed any sound quality differences? If so, can you point me where the post was or can someone chime in with their thoughts?

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #822 of 2,103
I just received my BTR7. I'm sure they did, but has anyone compared the Balanced output vs the Unbalanced output and noticed any sound quality differences? If so, can you point me where the post was or can someone chime in with their thoughts?
As a general rule, balanced connections will sound clearer and also have more power than single-ended (SE)/unbalanced, all other things being equal. That being said, a great pair of SE headphones and SE connection can definitely sound better than some Balanced setups. Balanced is not always, automatically better. There are many pieces to the combined audio puzzle, and a Balanced connection alone is not a fix-all for everything, of course. Power-wise, the official BTR7 specs definitely show more power, better THD+N, and greater channel separation/crosstalk on Balanced though, so that's one datapoint... yet oddly, lower SNR?

I realize this does not directly answer your question (specific listening comparison of the two connections on the BTR7), but I felt it was worth saying. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #823 of 2,103
As a general rule, balanced connections will sound clearer and also have more power than single-ended (SE)/unbalanced, all other things being equal. That being said, a great pair of SE headphones and SE connection can definitely sound better than some Balanced setups. Balanced is not always, automatically better. There are many pieces to the combined audio puzzle, and a Balanced connection alone is not a fix-all for everything, of course. Power-wise, the official BTR7 specs definitely show more power, better THD+N, and greater channel separation/crosstalk on Balanced though, so that's one datapoint... yet oddly, lower SNR?

I realize this does not directly answer your question (specific listening comparison of the two connections on the BTR7), but I felt it was worth saying. 🤷‍♂️
Yes that's good information for people. My problem is I don't have any 4.4 cables that are the same exact build as the 3.5 I have. So any differences would be uh....questionable, probably. Unless you don't believe in cables sounding any different.

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #825 of 2,103
Yes that's good information for people. My problem is I don't have any 4.4 cables that are the same exact build as the 3.5 I have. So any differences would be uh....questionable, probably. Unless you don't believe in cables sounding any different.

Search Head-fi or the web for any references to your IEMs scaling with power. For example, the L&P W2 dongle’s balanced output is twice the voltage compared to its SE. For an IEM that is barely adequately powered by the SE, there most likely will be beneficial results from the balanced out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back