[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Sep 6, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #676 of 2,105
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #682 of 2,105
Ignoring the danger of being pointed out that I overread something again that has been mentioned already.
Has anyone tried the BTR7 with the Meze Elite or the IER-Z1R?
If yes does the BTR7 tame the Z1R top end and give them a little warmer touch?
Does it drive the Elite adequately?

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #683 of 2,105
Out of all the money I've spent on audio gear it's my BTR5 that gets the most use as I use it nightly to stream TV/movie audio from my Nvidia Shield saving me the hassle of firing up a desktop, BTA30 and being tethered to an extension cable to reach the couch. The BTR5 does a fine job powering my MDR-Z7 but as I get so much use from it I could justify an upgrade, benefitting from doing away with the 2.5mm>4.4mm adapter and need for the LC-RE (2.5mm) with my iems, and get an upgrade in SQ.
I find out in the morning if a local store may have some stock that I don't want to miss the opportunity on so I'm quickly trying to read this thread and some reviews.
Is anyone able to please comment on how the bass/sub-bass is compared to the BTR5? I'm not sure how the THX AAA is on the low end. Also to help fund it I could consider selling my BTA30 so was wondering if anyone has used a 3.5mm>RCA to feed an amplifier with satisfying results? Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #684 of 2,105
Out of all the money I've spent on audio gear it's my BTR5 that gets the most use as I use it nightly to stream TV/movie audio from my Nvidia Shield saving me the hassle of firing up a desktop, BTA30 and being tethered to an extension cable to reach the couch. The BTR5 does a fine job powering my MDR-Z7 but as I get so much use from it I could justify an upgrade, benefitting from doing away with the 2.5mm>4.4mm adapter and need for the LC-RE (2.5mm) with my iems, and get an upgrade in SQ.
I find out in the morning if a local store may have some stock that I don't want to miss the opportunity on so I'm quickly trying to read this thread and some reviews.
Is anyone able to please comment on how the bass/sub-bass is compared to the BTR5? I'm not sure how the THX AAA is on the low end. Also to help fund it I could consider selling my BTA30 so was wondering if anyone has used a 3.5mm>RCA to feed an amplifier with satisfying results? Thanks
Like you, I bought my BTR5 a while ago. In fact, the price was about £80, then after Zeo review the price went up. Thankfully, I bought before his review.

The BTR5 has been a regular companion ever since. For me the quality I get from Bluetooth gives me the freedom to move around while I listen to review units and for my own pleasure. Is it worth upgrading to the BTR7? To me, the answer is yes, but do not get rid of your BTR5, as much as the BTR7 has improved the sound quality, better screen, bigger battery etc. the BTR5 is not shamed by its sibling.

On to your specific question, the sub-bass on the BTR7 and how it compares to the BTR5. This came as a bit of a surprise to me. To my ears, the BTR5 sub-bass is marginally more impactful. On the BTR7 the sub-bass seems a bit softer, although the bass quality is the same to me. I stress, the difference is marginal and could be a volume or tuning issue. However I set the volume at the same level both on my source (140 out of 150) and on both devices (15 and then 20). I used the KZ AS16 Pros (all BA) and IMR EDP Ace (DD, Planar and Bone conduction motor). The one variation in my test is that I attached a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter to the 4.4mm cables when using the BTR5.

All in all, the BTR7 is noticeably an improvement on the BTR5 to my ears and I am pleased I bought it.

I hope it helps you.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #685 of 2,105
Like you, I bought my BTR5 a while ago. In fact, the price was about £80, then after Zeo review the price went up. Thankfully, I bought before his review.

The BTR5 has been a regular companion ever since. For me the quality I get from Bluetooth gives me the freedom to move around while I listen to review units and for my own pleasure. Is it worth upgrading to the BTR7? To me, the answer is yes, but do not get rid of your BTR5, as much as the BTR7 has improved the sound quality, better screen, bigger battery etc. the BTR5 is not shamed by its sibling.

On to your specific question, the sub-bass on the BTR7 and how it compares to the BTR5. This came as a bit of a surprise to me. To my ears, the BTR5 sub-bass is marginally more impactful. On the BTR7 the sub-bass seems a bit softer, although the bass quality is the same to me. I stress, the difference is marginal and could be a volume or tuning issue. However I set the volume at the same level both on my source (140 out of 150) and on both devices (15 and then 20). I used the KZ AS16 Pros (all BA) and IMR EDP Ace (DD, Planar and Bone conduction motor). The one variation in my test is that I attached a 4.4 to 2.5 adapter to the 4.4mm cables when using the BTR5.

All in all, the BTR7 is noticeably an improvement on the BTR5 to my ears and I am pleased I bought it.

I hope it helps you.
Thanks for your input.
HeadFi membership requires great financial discipline so I generally sell the old to help pay for the new one.
I doubt I'd notice the sub bass difference and although I never EQ I could always resort to a bit of EQ to beef the low end up a bit.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #686 of 2,105
been rocking the BTR7 for a couple of weeks now. all i can say is good job.

My daily driver before that was the BTR5 (original, not the 2021 refresh) using 2.5mm balanced connected to blessing 2.
Im not sure bass impact is the same, it feels slightly stronger on the BTR7, but not as in more powerful but the microdetail of the impact is improved, texture improved.

The only 2 negatives i found is that for some reason, when i just got it female vocals felt slightly more recesed and that at to feel the difference in detail the BTR7 has to work at more or less 5% more volume. basically the power is there but it dosnt matter if you dont use it, so i have to have shorter listening sessions (if i want to keep my hearing)

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #687 of 2,105
Dear friends,

Thanks for the interested in our BTR7! Now more and more users are joing the BTR7 group. In order to meet the needs of multiple usage, we are developing a leather case with a magnet and a lanyard hole. The leather case will come with a lanyard and a magnetic disc for sticking to the mobile phone. However, wireless charging is not supported when BTR7 is wearing this leather case. How do you think about that?

Best regards

1662622987981.png

1662623008569.png

1662623031631.png

1662623047179.png

1662623068910.png

1662623086194.png

1662623104062.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 8, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #688 of 2,105
Dear friends,

Thanks for the interested in our BTR7! Now more and more users are joing the BTR7 group. In order to meet the needs of multiple usage, we are developing a leather case with a magnet and a lanyard hole. The leather case will come with a lanyard and a magnetic disc for sticking to the mobile phone. However, wireless charging is not supported when BTR7 is wearing this leather case. How do you think about that?

Best regards
It looks great! Especially in the red color instead of brown. Nice touch with the magnetic feature. I know that some people are still going to want a belt clip though…

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #689 of 2,105
@FiiO perhaps give your customers a choice of colours red, black, brown or something like that or even a straw poll?

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #690 of 2,105
Dear friends,

Best regards
I have not been able to find a proper way to handle this matchbox type gadget. Magnet seems good option to stick to mobile but size mismatch between BTR7 and mobiles doesn't seem very convenient. Hanging by neck seems cheap way. FiiO may have to come up with some innovative way of convenient handling.
Handling should be convenient when going out in morning with just T-shirt, shorts and mobile+btr7. It should be convenient and sophisticated when going out for shopping, or when waiting in lounge or when travelling . Also it should look sophisticate when being used in office premises.
The best way I can think .. as shorts/trousers clip tucked in front at waist height in horizontal position. But there may be better options.
May be as waist tucked for formal looks and upper arm banded as casual/jogging looks or as short necklace for brat looks? For me horizontal waist clipped should work with upper arm banded as next possible option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back