[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #2,041 of 2,064
This is the second time that this happened and so I’m now afraid to use my Fiio: During a listening session at low volume (L gain at 27 lvl my ears suddenly received an enormous and very ear destroying static distortion noise that left me with temporary ringing and my body was shaken. It was so bad that it only took 1 or 2 seconds because I literally ripped my IEM cable as fast and hard as I could from my ears. It felt as if that noise went straight into my ears in high gain mode at 100 volume, and trust me, I’m not exaggerating. I yet have to find out if my iem was damaged as well, but this is the only 4.4mm output I have and I’m so hesitant to listen to them again, all I did was play them again at lower volume without sealing into my ear canal and at least like that they still do sound.

The interesting / worrysome thing is that I actually had a similar experience with my first btr7. Only that the first time the distortion artifact static noises where not too horribly loud and they started more intermittently. Also the screen started to flicker and the logos to partially disappear. So I had time to quit the device.

In the 2 instances the btr7 was plugged for power and being used in Bluetooth mode.The last time it happened I noticed that when I unplugged the power line the noise stopped (that’s right, after ripping down my IEM cable my IEMs fell into the bed and i was left starino at them in disbelief because theyy look small and where making such a loud awful noise that they reminded me of two of those very loud noisy insects in the wild). Other settings were: hybrid filter mode, PEQ in use, harmonic protection in use, bal boost on, battery protection charge up to 60% was on, and the second time when the Fiio partially killed my ears I was listening thru an M chip iPad in AAC mode.

the question is: Is the manufacturer aware of this? Has the manufacturer or any of us traced down the problem and found if there is anything to preventing this. Like I said, I have suspicion that the problem is related to the battery state of charge, but I cannot afford to test further knowing that my ears could be gone over a stupid device, or just potentially breaking my earphones.

This is the reason for the first unit return. I doubt is a batch production issue as i bought the 2 units from different sellers.

As much as I been loving my btr7 , if there is no solution to this there is absolutely no way I can keep this unit knowing that my ears could be blown away at any moment. If you are outdoors it can also be extremely dangerous not only from the ear point of view but also affecting your equilibrium and making you lose your balance (yes trust me it gets that loud!).

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #2,042 of 2,064
This is the second time that this happened and so I’m now afraid to use my Fiio: During a listening session at low volume (L gain at 27 lvl my ears suddenly received an enormous and very ear destroying static distortion noise that left me with temporary ringing and my body was shaken. It was so bad that it only took 1 or 2 seconds because I literally ripped my IEM cable as fast and hard as I could from my ears. It felt as if that noise went straight into my ears in high gain mode at 100 volume, and trust me, I’m not exaggerating. I yet have to find out if my iem was damaged as well, but this is the only 4.4mm output I have and I’m so hesitant to listen to them again, all I did was play them again at lower volume without sealing into my ear canal and at least like that they still do sound.

The interesting / worrysome thing is that I actually had a similar experience with my first btr7. Only that the first time the distortion artifact static noises where not too horribly loud and they started more intermittently. Also the screen started to flicker and the logos to partially disappear. So I had time to quit the device.

In the 2 instances the btr7 was plugged for power and being used in Bluetooth mode.The last time it happened I noticed that when I unplugged the power line the noise stopped (that’s right, after ripping down my IEM cable my IEMs fell into the bed and i was left starino at them in disbelief because theyy look small and where making such a loud awful noise that they reminded me of two of those very loud noisy insects in the wild). Other settings were: hybrid filter mode, PEQ in use, harmonic protection in use, bal boost on, battery protection charge up to 60% was on, and the second time when the Fiio partially killed my ears I was listening thru an M chip iPad in AAC mode.

the question is: Is the manufacturer aware of this? Has the manufacturer or any of us traced down the problem and found if there is anything to preventing this. Like I said, I have suspicion that the problem is related to the battery state of charge, but I cannot afford to test further knowing that my ears could be gone over a stupid device, or just potentially breaking my earphones.

This is the reason for the first unit return. I doubt is a batch production issue as i bought the 2 units from different sellers.

As much as I been loving my btr7 , if there is no solution to this there is absolutely no way I can keep this unit knowing that my ears could be blown away at any moment. If you are outdoors it can also be extremely dangerous not only from the ear point of view but also affecting your equilibrium and making you lose your balance (yes trust me it gets that loud!).
my BTR 15 does that at least once every 15 minutes and reboots than. never had such an immature product before. its a shame how faulty the software and experience is.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #2,043 of 2,064

You said in the 2 instances you had the BT7 plugged for power: I suspect you have a bad / low quality charger that might have a substantial amount of AC ripple going on and mess with the BTR7. I normally charge it, either wireless or from phone, never experienced those symptoms.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #2,044 of 2,064
You said in the 2 instances you had the BT7 plugged for power: I suspect you have a bad / low quality charger that might have a substantial amount of AC ripple going on and mess with the BTR7. I normally charge it, either wireless or from phone, never experienced those symptoms.
My chargers are Gan II smart chargers, they supposedly provide even cleaner power than regular chargers. But like I said, I suspect that my problem is linked to the charging system. I replicated once more the problem and I noticed that the FiiO was actually not charging even when the display said it was. Then I believe that when the battery was about to get depleted the screen started to act very crazy and the offending noises shouted again (this time plugged to some cheap headphones). Since the unit died because it was actuallynot charging, I re plugged the power cable and it took the FiiO a couple minutes of flaking acting weird screen displaying charging state to normalize and continue charging normally.

I’m now 24hr on a "dumb" lower quality charger and the problem has not replicated. Will update if something else happens.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #2,045 of 2,064
That happened to Me with the iFi Go Link when I first got it, I was lucky I had an IEMatch in the signal chain or I’d have permaborked my ears. In the case of that unit issue was resolved by flashing different firmware to it. Didn’t have any problems after that.

I’ve never come across the same issue with the BTR7 but I haven’t used any GaN chargers to charge it as far as I Recall. Mostly it gets charged up when I plug it into my laptop at work, but other times I’ve used a USB-PD charger in my car with no ill effects (although I wasn’t listening with it at the time, only charging it) and I’ve charged it wirelessly both off the back of my phone and off a wireless charging pad.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #2,046 of 2,064
Hey all. I've been having some issues recently with Tidal on my Galaxy S23 ultra.

When I connect the BTR7 to the phone via USB I get the prompt asking me allow Tidal access to it. If I grant permission I can only play MQA tracks, if I try to play anything else there's no audio. The BTR7 volume controls work but not the phone ones, as I assume the DAC is bypassing Android.

If I connect the BTR7 and then *don't* allow Tidal exclusive access, the volume controls on the phone work as I guess in this state the DAC isn't bypassing Android's processing. But now I can play any type of track from Tidal!

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #2,049 of 2,064
Hey all. I've been having some issues recently with Tidal on my Galaxy S23 ultra.

When I connect the BTR7 to the phone via USB I get the prompt asking me allow Tidal access to it. If I grant permission I can only play MQA tracks, if I try to play anything else there's no audio. The BTR7 volume controls work but not the phone ones, as I assume the DAC is bypassing Android.

If I connect the BTR7 and then *don't* allow Tidal exclusive access, the volume controls on the phone work as I guess in this state the DAC isn't bypassing Android's processing. But now I can play any type of track from Tidal!

Does anyone know what's going on here?
Yeah, this has been an issue for a couple of weeks now, at least. Tidal is a mess right now, and the lack of a fix for so long is annoying.

As @Andrew_WOT says there is UAPP, but no offline Tidal playback is its own kind of annoying (maybe that has changed after I stopped using it…?).

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #2,050 of 2,064
Yeah, this has been an issue for a couple of weeks now, at least. Tidal is a mess right now, and the lack of a fix for so long is annoying.

As @Andrew_WOT says there is UAPP, but no offline Tidal playback is its own kind of annoying (maybe that has changed after I stopped using it…?).
Ah, it's a known issue? I hadn't realised that. Tidal often crashes for me too, I I wonder if it's something they'll address with an update 🤔

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #2,051 of 2,064
Ah, it's a known issue? I hadn't realised that. Tidal often crashes for me too, I I wonder if it's something they'll address with an update 🤔
Known as in reproduced by more than just you and me 😀. I can’t be certain, but I would assume Tidal engineers are aware. But whether they are working on a fix, I cannot be sure…

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #2,052 of 2,064

No offline for either Qobuz or Tidal due to copyrighted material.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #2,054 of 2,064
@FiiO I’m seeing 2 btr7 connected to my iPad. Sometimes only one is connected,sometimes both are connected (see pic). What’s going on here? Why is the device showing twice? I don’t have much technical abilities to trace down these issues but I have a feeling it’s related to poorly designed drivers. I reinstalled things, reset FiiO, re added network devices, and still shows as 2 bt devices
IMG_0177.jpeg

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #2,055 of 2,064
@FiiO I’m seeing 2 btr7 connected to my iPad. Sometimes only one is connected,sometimes both are connected (see pic). What’s going on here? Why is the device showing twice? I don’t have much technical abilities to trace down these issues but I have a feeling it’s related to poorly designed drivers. I reinstalled things, reset FiiO, re added network devices, and still shows as 2 bt devicesIMG_0177.jpeg
Dear friend,

Hi, I checked with the engineer and now I could tell you the reason.

There are two modes of Bluetooth: BLE and EDR classic Bluetooth, BLE is mainly used for APP connection. If you are not connecting to APP, BLE connection will be off. But when the BTR7 is connected to the FIIO Control app, BLE connection will be enabled, and in the Bluetooth page of iOS devices, you will find 2 BTR7 showing connected. The presence of two devices does not affect audio playback.
The iPad in my hand is showing 2 BTR7 connected as well when I connect the BTR7 to FIIO Control APP:

1712128928887.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back