[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Dec 2, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #1,981 of 2,081
If you read the article linked above it uses lossless Huffman coding compression combined with high freq re-quantization on high-res material, so that definitely means that FLAC decoding happens at the source, recompressed using LDAC algorithm, and uncompressed at the receiver. Which also means that even WAV file will be transmitted compressed.
You sharing the article happened while I was typing out that reply (so I didn't see it until afterwards - my completed longer reply came 2 minutes after you shared the link in one line). That being said, I do recall seeing that article before, but it was quite some time ago. I'm glad that my understanding of where the FLAC decompression occurs was indeed correct.

The larger point - the fact that the (lossless) FLAC decoding takes place in the source, and then the (lossy) LDAC coding takes place after that, undercuts the idea that 990 kbps for LDAC is "enough" to retain lossless audio. Put another way - LDAC compression is simply not as good as FLAC... proven by the fact that the former is lossy, and the latter isn't. Of course, they have somewhat different use cases - or else LDAC would possibly be using FLAC compression to transmit.

I have nothing against lossless compression, but I'd like to avoid lossy compression wherever I can, and that means avoiding Bluetooth when SQ is most important to me... and only using Bluetooth when convenience is more important.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #1,982 of 2,081
Don't think so, Huffman is just lossless compression algorithm, in order to fit high res into 990kbps they need to go lossy on unaudiable frequencies by decreasing bit depth, but for CD in most cases there is no need. From the article

Based on that and the graphic above, it appears that a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz CD-quality file would pass through the codec unaltered, as the available bit-depth more than exceeds the required 16-bits. This is also backed up by Sony’s marketing material claims, which show that the output of its compression provides “the same as CD quality”.

And these are measurements from another article proving that.
The 990kbps setting works as advertised. The codec transmits audio right up to 47kHz before slowly rolling off, granting it Hi-Res status.

I do agree on wired connection being the best. But unless you are on Android with UAPP, OS resampling will make it sound worse than BT. And after using UAPP with Qobuz I've just switched back to LDAC as step down UAPP UI comparing to original Qobuz app was not worth the mostly imaginable step up in sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,983 of 2,081
I didn’t think I needed to state the obvious (but perhaps it was not obvious to everyone), but of course I was referring to “all other things being equal”. Comparing completely different headphones/IEMs, one on Bluetooth, the other wired, is an apples vs. oranges comparison.

So let me be more clear:

All other components being equal.
Thank you for this response. I have read many of your posts on the topic of wired vs wireless and i don't recall you adding the caveat (though it simply could be I missed it). Since without the caveat it could come across as a wired is better than wireless regardless of what is being compared it could be confusing.

Since we are almost never (yes, there are a few exceptions) faced with the choice of wired vs wireless for the very same device, it comes down to the use case and listener preference.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #1,984 of 2,081
Since we are almost never (yes, there are a few exceptions) faced with the choice of wired vs wireless for the very same device
BTR7 is actually such a device. You can compare USB with LDAC 990 and draw the conclusion, it's that easy. :smile:

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,985 of 2,081
BTR7 is actually such a device. You can compare USB with LDAC 990 and draw the conclusion, it's that easy. :smile:
Absolutely agree, I had completely overlooked the situation where we can use a dongle like the BTR7 - Brilliant! I am traveling for the week, but will try some experiments when I am home!

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,986 of 2,081
Dear friend,

If you would like to connect two device at the same time: one via Bluetooth, one via USB, it is supported.
But the BTR7 is only a Bluetooth amp, so it could not transmit Bluetooth signal and connect to Bluetooth headphone.

Best regards

Hi @FiiO, just to confirm; I would like to use this device connected to my PC as a DAC for headphones (connected via USB) while also connected to my phone via Bluetooth.

That way, if I am listening to music from my PC through the DAC and a phone call comes in, I will be able to take the call using my headphones seamlessly?

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #1,987 of 2,081
Hi @FiiO, just to confirm; I would like to use this device connected to my PC as a DAC for headphones (connected via USB) while also connected to my phone via Bluetooth.

That way, if I am listening to music from my PC through the DAC and a phone call comes in, I will be able to take the call using my headphones seamlessly?
Dear friend,

BTR7 cannot use Bluetooth input and USB output at the same time, you can choose the input method you need.
How to select the input priority: Turn on BTR7, long press the power button, use the volume keys to select View, enter "Input Priority", select Bluetooth or UAC, and press the multi-function button to confirm to select the input priority.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,988 of 2,081
Getting close to selling my last DAP as my BTR7 over LDAC 660/990 sounds so good with my Sony M9's via 4.4mm, and my S23+ 256GB has plenty storage, fast and strong connectivity with the BTR7.
Quoting my earlier post, my S23+ just updated to Android 14 which can now allow bitperfect on other apps than UAPP.

Spotify sounds better via my BTR7 over USB now. Before it would upscale as per Android but now show 48/32 on the BTR7. Seems clearer/cleaner. Sure it showed something like 384/32 before.

PS If I just plug in via USB to Android it defaults to 384/32 for system sounds. Play a track via Spotify and changes to 48/32.

Saying that, isn't Spotify at 44.1/16? Maybe the App itself outputs to DACs at 48?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,989 of 2,081
Quoting my earlier post, my S23+ just updated to Android 14 which can now allow bitperfect on other apps than UAPP.

Wow, Spotify sounds better via my BTR7 over USB. Before it would upscale as per Android but now show 48/32 on the BTR7. Seems clearer/cleaner. Sure it showed something like 384/32 before.

PS If I just plug in via USB to Android it defaults to 384/32 for system sounds. Play a track via Spotify and changes to 48/32.

Saying that, isn't Spotify at 16/44.1? May the App itself outputs to DACs at 48?
If I may ask, what about Amazon Music Unlimited? I am using an S23 Ultra with my BTR7. And, what about Qobuz? Are those bit-perfect now?

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #1,990 of 2,081
If I may ask, what about Amazon Music Unlimited? I am using an S23 Ultra with my BTR7. And, what about Qobuz? Are those bit-perfect now?
Just trying now, same as before for Android and IPhone the App defaults to output at 192/32 for all USB output.

Screenshot_20231212_230250_Amazon Music.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,991 of 2,081

Spotify sounds better via my BTR7 over USB now. Before it would upscale as per Android but now show 48/32 on the BTR7. Seems clearer/cleaner. Sure it showed something like 384/32 before.

Saying that, isn't Spotify at 44.1/16? Maybe the App itself outputs to DACs at 48?
AFAIK 48kHz is the default Android sample rate

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,992 of 2,081
AFAIK 48kHz is the default Android sample rate
No, depends on phone. For example Samsung was 48 then they changed to 192 and with latest 384.

For Android OS BTR7 now show 384/32, if playing Spotify it now shows 48/32 where before OS 14 showed 384/32 and Amazon Music now shows 192/32 instead of 384/32 before.

UAPP still changes per song as before.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,993 of 2,081
Just signed up for Apple Music 1 month free trial and the App is changing per track, so 48/32 for normal lossless and 192/32 for Hi-Res lossless.

Looks like it's down to each music App now as Android 14 is allowing bitperfect.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #1,994 of 2,081
It still needs app support to use that feature, right now RedBook is resampled to 24/48, and high-res to 24/192. So it's not bit-perfect yet.
Here's more info.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,995 of 2,081
It still needs app support to use that feature, right now RedBook is resampled to 24/48, and high-res to 24/192. So it's not bit-perfect yet.
Here's more info.
Well Apple Music is changing per track so seems to be updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back