[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,966 of 2,095
How do you figure?

Redbook rate = 1,411 kbps
LDAC 990 = 990 kbps

Even in 100% perfect conditions, LDAC still has to throw away 421 kbps of data. That ain’t lossless.

All I’m saying is - sure, you can crap on iPhones for not supporting the best Bluetooth CODEC standards… but it’s ultimately a minor-league argument when connecting a damn wire is superior performance on either platform anyway.

For SQ, wired > Bluetooth, plain and simple.

Not all records need to use 1411kbps (it's a max bitrate not min or average).. 909Kpbs is still far nearer to 1411 than SBC/AAC.

Then, with most android devices you can switch instantly between AAC and LDAC so you can find quite easily and quickly, by yourself, the real differences with your own ears when music is really busy (probably when it should need a 1411kbps transmission).
I almost never find any particular improvement with different cableswith my IEMs (from cheap to very expansive) => but it is very often quite instant between SBC vs AAC vs LDAC
Aptx adaptive vs LDAC is far more tricky story to catch real improvements for me with my ears (Need a Bluetooth Codec Switcher to make real time codec comparisons with android).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,967 of 2,095
Then, with most android devices you can switch instantly between AAC and LDAC so you can find quite easily and quickly, by yourself, the real differences with your own ears when music is really busy (probably when it should need a 1411kbps transmission).
I almost never find any particular improvement with different cableswith my IEMs (from cheap to very expansive) => but it is very often quite instant between SBC vs AAC vs LDAC
I never said that the higher-bitrate LDAC isn’t superior to AAC or any other given Bluetooth CODEC. I was not suggesting they are all the same. If that’s what you took from my post, you were missing the point.

I was pointing out that even a cheap, non-defective wired solution will have better SQ than any Bluetooth solution. It’s got nothing to do with cheap wires versus expensive wires, and it has nothing to do with LDAC 990 vs. any other Bluetooth CODEC.

It has to do with wired vs. wireless.

Wireless is, no doubt, more convenient. Hands down. However that always comes with a compromise.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,969 of 2,095
I don’t think that is necessarily correct… With wired you get more transmission bit rate than with Bluetooth, so clearly the fidelity of the data is greater with wired.

But SQ also has to do with the capabilities of the transducers, and how they are tuned. Now if you said that the ***same*** earphones or IEMs would sound better via wired than Bluetooth you very likely have a point.

So just because one set of headphones or IEMs are wired, it does not mean they would sound better than a completely different Bluetooth set, a point that often gets glossed over.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,970 of 2,095
How do you figure?

Redbook rate = 1,411 kbps
LDAC 990 = 990 kbps

Even in 100% perfect conditions, LDAC still has to throw away 421 kbps of data. That ain’t lossless.

All I’m saying is - sure, you can crap on iPhones for not supporting the best Bluetooth CODEC standards… but it’s ultimately a minor-league argument when connecting a damn wire is superior performance on either platform anyway.

FLAC compression ratio is 50-70%, so for most Redbook material it will be under 990kpbs, with the few exceptions of course.
Wired is better, but in practice even with bit-perfect UAPP the difference in quality with 990kbps LDAC is negligible at best if noticeable at all.
With OS native oversampling USB audio driver, it's actually better with LDAC.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,971 of 2,095
But SQ also has to do with the capabilities of the transducers, and how they are tuned. Now if you said that the ***same*** earphones or IEMs would sound better via wired than Bluetooth you very likely have a point.
I didn’t think I needed to state the obvious (but perhaps it was not obvious to everyone), but of course I was referring to “all other things being equal”. Comparing completely different headphones/IEMs, one on Bluetooth, the other wired, is an apples vs. oranges comparison.

So let me be more clear:

All other components being equal.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,973 of 2,095
FLAC compression ratio is 50-70%, so for most Redbook material it will be under 990kpbs, with the few exceptions of course.
Wired is better, but in practice even with bit-perfect UAPP the difference in quality with 990kbps LDAC is negligible at best if noticeable at all.
With OS native oversampling USB audio driver, it's actually better with LDAC.
That depends entirely on whether the FLAC decompression is occurring on the source, or inside the Bluetooth IEMs/headphones. I would not be surprised if the FLAC decompression was occurring in the source, and then the uncompressed material is then jammed through the Bluetooth CODEC for (re-)compression and transmission.

I am not saying that I know this for sure (and I am happy to be proven wrong, if it is the truth), but it is my understanding (without digging around more for white papers on it).

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,976 of 2,095
That depends entirely on whether the FLAC decompression is occurring on the source, or inside the Bluetooth IEMs/headphones. I would not be surprised if the FLAC decompression was occurring in the source, and then the uncompressed material is then jammed through the Bluetooth CODEC for (re-)compression and transmission.

I am not saying that I know this for sure (and I am happy to be proven wrong, if it is the truth), but it is my understanding (without digging around more for white papers on it).
If you read the article linked above it uses lossless Huffman coding compression combined with high freq re-quantization on high-res material, so that definitely means that FLAC decoding happens at the source, recompressed using LDAC algorithm, and uncompressed at the receiver. Which also means that even WAV file will be transmitted compressed.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #1,977 of 2,095
My question is BTR7 sound thin with iphone AAC compare to android LDAC or connected with cable?
AAC transfer rate caps at 250kbps which is about standard quality MP3 file, so you will lose some fidelity.

This article covers AAC along with other codecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back