FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,036 of 1,870
Please quantify this. I also have both - and the answer is ..... it depends on.

• Which module the Q5 has, and what headphone you're using
  • Your personal taste in tonality
  • How you want to listen to your music
  • What you value in portability
For example - and these are the first ones I thought of.
  1. if I prefer to have a more minimal and more portable experience, I might find the X5iii or the M9 better than a Q5 - as then I don't have to carry a source device as well.
  2. if I prefer to have my phone decoupled from my music - then the choice is obvious and its not the Q5
  3. If I'm listening to IEMs and don't need the extra power, then it becomes a real choice (preference of tonality)
In terms of sound quality
  1. Both have distortion levels below our audibility thresholds
  2. Both have low impedance outputs
  3. Both have good SNR ratios and cross-talk measurements beyond our audibility
Saying one is better than the other is (IMO) quite silly. The answer is - it depends on what your preferences are. SQ is about the same.

The better answer is:
  • If you're driving a harder to drive headphone the Q5 has better power options - depending on the module
  • If you prefer a warmer, richer tonality, both can be viable options - but with the Q5, you will need a different amp module to achieve this
  • If you prefer a more neutral sound, the Q5 has better module options to achieve this
  • If you prefer a device to uncouple yourself from your phone - then the X5iii or M9 are better options
  • If you prefer your phone's UI and just want better SQ than your phone, the Q5 is probably the better option
I could go on - but you get the gist. Saying the Q5 is "much better" than the X5iii for Spotify listening - without quantifying context is at best misleading, and at worst totally incorrect. At least find out what the person values (attributes), then you can give them a more informed reply.

FWIW, I use Spotify, and have both the Q5 and the X5iii. They are both fantastic sounding devices. Unless I'm using the HD800S, Alara or HD300, 9/10 I'll either be using the X5iii or direct from my iPhone SE. If I'm using my full sized, and moving around the house - then I'd take the Q5.

Good points all of them actually.

X5-3 is less revealing than Q5 due to its lack in treble energy and smooth nature, so Q5 is more detailed. Of course someone might want that smooth / warm signature of X5, but I'm assuming that someone asking this question is asking about detail levels, where Q5 outperforms X5-3, regardless of which AMP module is strapped to Q5.

BTR3 is simply for portability, it doesn't have the detail, clarity, power, and refinement of Q5. BTR3 is a ~70 USD device and performs well for that price range, maybe using below 300 USD IEMs would make them more similar, but Q5 is considerably more detailed and revealing, has a deeper soundstage. I have reviewed BTR3 an the other BTR receivers for their price range, they aren't alternatives to Q5 or iFi xDSD, the BTR modules series are good for what they do, being ultra-small and portable.

My smartphone, Xiaomi Mi Max 3, is so far from either Q5 or X5-3, that I could never in my entire life use it for music, it literally struggles with IEMs to get me the volume I need without distortions.

Had the q5 barely 6 hrs. So far side by side listening vs btr1... Btr1 sounds more fun q5 sounds wider and shot of boring.

Do you have the same feeling if you are using bass boost on Q5?

Also, please try using Q5 wired instead of bluetooth.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,037 of 1,870
BTR3 is simply for portability, it doesn't have the detail, clarity, power, and refinement of Q5. BTR3 is a ~70 USD device and performs well for that price range, maybe using below 300 USD IEMs would make them more similar, but Q5 is considerably more detailed and revealing, has a deeper soundstage. I have reviewed BTR3 an the other BTR receivers for their price range, they aren't alternatives to Q5 or iFi xDSD, the BTR modules series are good for what they do, being ultra-small and portable.

I have found that price is a poor indicator of performance and using it as a comparative tool for subjective quality rather pointless.
The BTR3 is perhaps the finest audio purchase I have made in 25 years! Paired with my phone using LDAC and IEM's I can immerse myself in sound all day. Everything is present in the music and the sound signature is easily changed by changing headphones. I use with DUNU 2000-J and Falcon C. Switching to desktop setup, there is 'maybe' a little more detail and space, but for portable use, external sounds will be far more of a detriment to sound to worry about this extra 2%.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #1,038 of 1,870
I have found that price is a poor indicator of performance and using it as a comparative tool for subjective quality rather pointless.
The BTR3 is perhaps the finest audio purchase I have made in 25 years! Paired with my phone using LDAC and IEM's I can immerse myself in sound all day. Everything is present in the music and the sound signature is easily changed by changing headphones. I use with DUNU 2000-J and Falcon C. Switching to desktop setup, there is 'maybe' a little more detail and space, but for portable use, external sounds will be far more of a detriment to sound to worry about this extra 2%.

Welp :)

Price is a bad indicator of quality and performance sometimes, but Falcon-C and DN2000-J are exactly the type of IEMs where BTR3 would do a really good job. I think that BTR3 and Q5 would also be rather similar with F9Pro and FH5, to keep the setup entirely FiiO.

Something more expensive / revealing, like say, Accoustune HS1650CU reveals the differences between BTR3 and Q5 quite fast.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,039 of 1,870
Welp :)

Price is a bad indicator of quality and performance sometimes, but Falcon-C and DN2000-J are exactly the type of IEMs where BTR3 would do a really good job. I think that BTR3 and Q5 would also be rather similar with F9Pro and FH5, to keep the setup entirely FiiO.

Something more expensive / revealing, like say, Accoustune HS1650CU reveals the differences between BTR3 and Q5 quite fast.
As my hearing is no longer functioning in the ultrasonic frequencies, I'm not sure I would notice these differences in a portable situation unless lack of power was an issue. :bat: As you have rightly noted, changing the IEM is going to have the greatest impact on the presentation.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #1,040 of 1,870
Good points all of them actually.

X5-3 is less revealing than Q5 due to its lack in treble energy and smooth nature, so Q5 is more detailed. Of course someone might want that smooth / warm signature of X5, but I'm assuming that someone asking this question is asking about detail levels, where Q5 outperforms X5-3, regardless of which AMP module is strapped to Q5.

My smartphone, Xiaomi Mi Max 3, is so far from either Q5 or X5-3, that I could never in my entire life use it for music, it literally struggles with IEMs to get me the volume I need without distortions.

Do you have the same feeling if you are using bass boost on Q5?

Also, please try using Q5 wired instead of bluetooth.
I am using it with Bluetooth and not tampering with wired cos I wont use it anyway even if it's good... Too cumbersome
I actually have the bass boost on without knowing. N I thought I just wasted my money on the q5. Also the bass sounded bloated n highs lack shimmer.
But after I turned off the bass boost. Set the low pass filter to slow(no echo) and the reduce the bass knob on my lola from 3 to abt slightly less than 2. Then sound very good now. Wider stage... But not depth. Less warmth than btr1. Very good separation n mids. Lows are there when it's supposed to be there but no overwhelming.
As I have mentioned in previous replies...
1. The low pass filter kept switching back to sharp.
2. Everytime I turn q5 on must press the paring button... Btr is better here. Just on it and it will pair.
Still adjusting to the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,041 of 1,870
I’m torn between this, the Chord Mojo, or the Cozoy Rei or Takt Pro. Not looking for Bluetooth audio. I’d like it to be portable, want to use it between Pixel 3XL or iPhone XS Max and my Noble Kaiser Encore customs.
It's fine, I use it with my Encore customs and iPhone Xs as the daily driver. Have been using this setup since August, it does have a bit of compression artifacts, but then again we're not talking about a $500 DAC/AMP. I considered the other products you mentioned, but decided on the BTR3 because of portability, battery life, and value.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,042 of 1,870
It's fine, I use it with my Encore customs and iPhone Xs as the daily driver. Have been using this setup since August, it does have a bit of compression artifacts, but then again we're not talking about a $500 DAC/AMP. I considered the other products you mentioned, but decided on the BTR3 because of portability, battery life, and value.
Q5 sound isn't very much better than btr1... Just different. I would believe btr3 would be the same... Sound different but can really say it's better or worst...but definitely way better value than q5

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,043 of 1,870
Q5 sound isn't very much better than btr1... Just different. I would believe btr3 would be the same... Sound different but can really say it's better or worst...but definitely way better value than q5
I wasn't even considering the Q5, I wanted something I can clip to the collar of my shirt. I have the E12DIY from Fiio that I'm using for my LCD2.2, which I think sounds better than the Q5, but that's based on comparisons done at CanJam, so the noisy environment could've thrown me off.

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #1,044 of 1,870
I wasn't even considering the Q5, I wanted something I can clip to the collar of my shirt. I have the E12DIY from Fiio that I'm using for my LCD2.2, which I think sounds better than the Q5, but that's based on comparisons done at CanJam, so the noisy environment could've thrown me off.
Ya. btr 1/3 is is way to go for convenience..
For me is all hype around the q5... I need to hear it... Sound is truly subjective. I recently audited the aaw w9000 cos of all the rav review... To me they sounded terrible for its price... I ended up with the lola.. Sounded way better than w9000

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,045 of 1,870
Ya. btr 1/3 is is way to go for convenience..
For me is all hype around the q5... I need to hear it... Sound is truly subjective. I recently audited the aaw w9000 cos of all the rav review... To me they sounded terrible for its price... I ended up with the lola.. Sounded way better than w9000
I listened to Lola and all other JH offerings at CanJam, along with a few dozen others, but resonated the most with the Noble Kaiser Encore, which is what I have now. As you said, it's subjective.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,048 of 1,870
I am using it with Bluetooth and not tampering with wired cos I wont use it anyway even if it's good... Too cumbersome
I actually have the bass boost on without knowing. N I thought I just wasted my money on the q5. Also the bass sounded bloated n highs lack shimmer.
But after I turned off the bass boost. Set the low pass filter to slow(no echo) and the reduce the bass knob on my lola from 3 to abt slightly less than 2. Then sound very good now. Wider stage... But not depth. Less warmth than btr1. Very good separation n mids. Lows are there when it's supposed to be there but no overwhelming.
As I have mentioned in previous replies...
1. The low pass filter kept switching back to sharp.
2. Everytime I turn q5 on must press the paring button... Btr is better here. Just on it and it will pair.
Still adjusting to the sound.

Oh, I see!

Happy you now found happy with it!

I haven't noticed the filter issues as I have been using it only with the filter on the default state :)

The bass boost on Q5 is not exactly what most people are looking for, it is a known thing about it. It should be less warm than BTR1K, which was a bit warm, q5, especially with AM03A should be extremely neutral :) .

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,049 of 1,870
seems im the only one here NOT using these DACs on IEM or headphones, atleast primarily. I use them on my Stereo System (Marantz Integrated Amp / Speakers) and I find differentiating between DACs easier without all the hoopla about impedance matching, under powering etc.

One thing's for sure, compared to my $200 Dragonfly, the BTR3 has more resolving detail and depth (more 3-dimensional). The dragonfly on the other hand sounds alot louder, wider and fuller in the mids -- FR seems flatter too. (BTR3 seem to have a bit of coloration in the bass, with a small dip in the mids.) BTR3 are more layered, Dragonflys are more textured.

And that is judging from AAC only. haven't heard LDAC & aptX-HD yet due to device limitation (apple). I tried APTX (non HD) on my laptop and was sorely disappointed.

For 70$ and judging on the SQ alone without the weak amplification, the BTR3 is a steal.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,050 of 1,870
I listened to Lola and all other JH offerings at CanJam, along with a few dozen others, but resonated the most with the Noble Kaiser Encore, which is what I have now. As you said, it's subjective.
I liked the encore too... Just that I ad the opportunity to get a minty lola of less than 1yr old for usd730. Thought it's better value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back