FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,021 of 1,870
Know that the selling point of this item is BT Transmission using APTXHD and LDAC. And as that it offers great sound quality.

It can’t compete with desktop DACs and nor is it meant to. Best you will get is 16/44 or 24/44 I believe.

I would use it only on the move, no desckop. What interests me and that can make the sound a little warmer. Using it with the cable (no Bluetooh) how is the sound?

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,023 of 1,870
Anyone used the fiio q5 vs btr3? Am thinking or either. I can ge t the fiio q5 for a double the price of btr3 used in good condition. Dunno if it's a better deal (with SQ in mind)

The difference is huge, not even a contest :)

Go for Q5 in this situation, if you don't need the portability of BTR3 :)

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #1,024 of 1,870
The difference is huge, not even a contest :)

Go for Q5 in this situation, if you don't need the portability of BTR3 :)
I totally agree!

The q5 is what I use for music.

The btr1k ( I use two) is what I use for all night listening. I listen to spoken word and low volume music during horizontal hours.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,025 of 1,870
I’m torn between this, the Chord Mojo, or the Cozoy Rei or Takt Pro. Not looking for Bluetooth audio. I’d like it to be portable, want to use it between Pixel 3XL or iPhone XS Max and my Noble Kaiser Encore customs.

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,028 of 1,870
Thanks.. So basically I connect q5 to hop via Bluetooth n listen w iem on the q5? Works w android right..? I was thinking w x5iii the decoding within the Dap and won't be limited by Bluetooth...thereforw should be better sounding....plus I could play my collection of songs on it too.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,029 of 1,870
Yes, much much better :)

I reviewed both already, please don't hesitate if you have any questions

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/05/fiio-q5-rule-them-all.html

thanks for the info.
basically my intend of use:
X5iii: connect x5iii via wifi thru my phone(huawei p20pro) hotspot. listen to spotify via app in x5iii. iem( jh Lola) plugged in to balanced 2.5mm port.
Q5:connect to my phone via bluetooth as source. (not going to use OTg to wire out). listen to spotify with iem plugged into balanced port at Q5.

thanks from the comprehensive reivew. now i only have the lola and find the lows sont sit low and tight enough though the amount could be increased via the bass port.was abit concern with the x5 beginning adding too much warmth and bloatedness in the low end. as for the Q5, i read the bass is deeper and tighter. more of what i wanted.
added bonus for x5 is i could listen to my whole collection of music at loseless. then again most of them are avaible on spotify and the difference greatly audible..thus i dont mind going 100% spotify.]
would like to here your advice. thanks!

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,030 of 1,870
Yes, much much better :)

I reviewed both already, please don't hesitate if you have any questions

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2018/05/fiio-q5-rule-them-all.html

Please quantify this. I also have both - and the answer is ..... it depends on.

• Which module the Q5 has, and what headphone you're using
  • Your personal taste in tonality
  • How you want to listen to your music
  • What you value in portability
For example - and these are the first ones I thought of.
  1. if I prefer to have a more minimal and more portable experience, I might find the X5iii or the M9 better than a Q5 - as then I don't have to carry a source device as well.
  2. if I prefer to have my phone decoupled from my music - then the choice is obvious and its not the Q5
  3. If I'm listening to IEMs and don't need the extra power, then it becomes a real choice (preference of tonality)
In terms of sound quality
  1. Both have distortion levels below our audibility thresholds
  2. Both have low impedance outputs
  3. Both have good SNR ratios and cross-talk measurements beyond our audibility
Saying one is better than the other is (IMO) quite silly. The answer is - it depends on what your preferences are. SQ is about the same.

The better answer is:
  • If you're driving a harder to drive headphone the Q5 has better power options - depending on the module
  • If you prefer a warmer, richer tonality, both can be viable options - but with the Q5, you will need a different amp module to achieve this
  • If you prefer a more neutral sound, the Q5 has better module options to achieve this
  • If you prefer a device to uncouple yourself from your phone - then the X5iii or M9 are better options
  • If you prefer your phone's UI and just want better SQ than your phone, the Q5 is probably the better option
I could go on - but you get the gist. Saying the Q5 is "much better" than the X5iii for Spotify listening - without quantifying context is at best misleading, and at worst totally incorrect. At least find out what the person values (attributes), then you can give them a more informed reply.

FWIW, I use Spotify, and have both the Q5 and the X5iii. They are both fantastic sounding devices. Unless I'm using the HD800S, Alara or HD300, 9/10 I'll either be using the X5iii or direct from my iPhone SE. If I'm using my full sized, and moving around the house - then I'd take the Q5.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,031 of 1,870

1. if I prefer to have a more minimal and more portable experience, I might find the X5iii or the M9 better than a Q5 - as then I don't have to carry a source device as well.
  2. if I prefer to have my phone decoupled from my music - then the choice is obvious and its not the Q5
  3. If I'm listening to IEMs and don't need the extra power, then it becomes a real choice (preference of tonality)
Saying one is better than the other is (IMO) quite silly. The answer is - it depends on what your preferences are. SQ is about the same.

The better answer is:
  • If you're driving a harder to drive headphone the Q5 has better power options - depending on the module
  • If you prefer a warmer, richer tonality, both can be viable options - but with the Q5, you will need a different amp module to achieve this
  • If you prefer a more neutral sound, the Q5 has better module options to achieve this
  • If you prefer a device to uncouple yourself from your phone - then the X5iii or M9 are better options
  • If you prefer your phone's UI and just want better SQ than your phone, the Q5 is probably the better option
I could go on - but you get the gist. Saying the Q5 is "much better" than the X5iii for Spotify listening - without quantifying context is at best misleading, and at worst totally incorrect. At least find out what the person values (attributes), then you can give them a more informed reply.

FWIW, I use Spotify, and have both the Q5 and the X5iii. They are both fantastic sounding devices. Unless I'm using the HD800S, Alara or HD300, 9/10 I'll either be using the X5iii or direct from my iPhone SE. If I'm using my full sized, and moving around the house - then I'd take the Q5.
Just for a used 6 month old q5 for usd220. And u are right that it's impossible to quantify which is better. That's why I decided to get one to try it out.
Initially was quite shocked how much warmth it added compare to btr1. Then I realized one can adjust the low pass filter. Switch it too slow its much better.
My final reason for getting the q5..
1. U don't try u will never know...rraaly impossible to correctly to quantify the type of sound but a generalisation.
2. Figured that I am likely to change hp more frequently than amp or Dap. So depending on hp as source and q5 as dac/amp only.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,032 of 1,870
If you are intending to use your phone as source - then Q5 over X5iii. And use the Bluetooth. Everyone I know who tests properly (volume matched) can't tell a difference between wired and wireless.

Pointless getting a DAP if you need a dac/amp and don't intend using the DAPs main feature (ie that its a music player)

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #1,033 of 1,870

The better answer is:

Do you also have the BTR3? Would be interested to know how SQ alone compares to the Q5 and X5. TIA

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,034 of 1,870
If you are intending to use your phone as source - then Q5 over X5iii. And use the Bluetooth. Everyone I know who tests properly (volume matched) can't tell a difference between wired and wireless.

Pointless getting a DAP if you need a dac/amp and don't intend using the DAPs main feature (ie that its a music player)
Got the q5... Irritating thing is the low pass filter had to be set everytime. Set to low keep changing back to sharp each time the q5 is off.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,035 of 1,870
Had the q5 barely 6 hrs. So far side by side listening vs btr1... Btr1 sounds more fun q5 sounds wider and shot of boring.

Anyway I kinda of like the setup. Iem connected to q5 in pocket. Control via phone. Can watch Netflix w it too...
Comparing the difference between q5 n btr1... I think the difference between btr3 vs q5 is going to be huge. But just different

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back