[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,846 of 3,680
Ah okay, thanks for the confirmation. Have you used it on PC? If yes, how's the sound quality? Currently having the Fiio E10K but after experienced a much better sound quality from the built-in DAC from Asus XG17AHPE monitor, trying to get better sound. I'm returning this monitor btw, IPS will never be without problem.

Yes that's what we're talking about no? PC-connection.
I cant help you much with sq comparisons as I didnt compare it with many others. Used it via usb (and only via usb), and via balanced output (and only via balanced output), BTR5 has great, clean, dynamic output. Very nice on that respect. BT sound quality is quite lacking - which is a general issue, not a particular BTR5 fault. Finally, single ended port is dramatically less powered and dynamic than the balanced one.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,847 of 3,680
Like pretty much all BT adapter that can function as USB DAC, BTR5 is designed first and foremost as an BT adapter. If you need mostly a desktop USB DAC, you will likely find better sounding USB DAC for the same price, or even less.
That's probably a good idea. But it's too hard to find one that meets my wishes. Well, not really difficult ones but I'd like to have a rich dynamic and losless. The built-in DAC in the monitor seem to be the ESS 9118. This one sounds very good to me.

Yes that's what we're talking about no? PC-connection.
I cant help you much with sq comparisons as I didnt compare it with many others. Used it via usb (and only via usb), and via balanced output (and only via balanced output), BTR5 has great, clean, dynamic output. Very nice on that respect. BT sound quality is quite lacking - which is a general issue, not a particular BTR5 fault. Finally, single ended port is dramatically less powered and dynamic than the balanced one.
BT is no concern for me. I'm not critical on the portable/BT aspect but for PC on the other hand... I don't like it try and return, that's why I'm very cautious.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,848 of 3,680
That's probably a good idea. But it's too hard to find one that meets my wishes. Well, not really difficult ones but I'd like to have a rich dynamic and losless. The built-in DAC in the monitor seem to be the ESS 9118. This one sounds very good to me.

You might want to check out E1DA (you can find its thread on the same portable amp forum here, just a few link away from this thread). They have developed a good reputation of making good value and nice sounding USB DAC that also use ESS's chips, but only has 2.5mm balanced output.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,849 of 3,680
You might want to check out E1DA (you can find its thread on the same portable amp forum here, just a few link away from this thread). They have developed a good reputation of making good value and nice sounding USB DAC that also use ESS's chips.
Nice, thanks for suggesting another usb dac. I'm always open for more suggestions/advices.

-edit-

No adapters allowed or it will kill the DAC.
-E1DA thread

That's something new. None of my headphones and earphones are standard with 2.5mm.

What about the Xduoo Link?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,850 of 3,680
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,851 of 3,680
When playing DSD via USB then BTR5 displays DSD64, DSD128, DSD256. That is enough.
When playing DSD512 from my phone in UAPP it is probably internally converted somewhere (probably UAPP) tp PCM and displayed sample rate is 384kHz.
I would also like to see which sample rate/bit depth is going to DAC from LDAC after decoding.

But I found one problem with playing DSD from foobar in Windows 10 and Fiio driver v 4.47.0 (latest one). I have BTR5 (max DSD256) and Q5s (max DSD512).
Problem appears on 2 different windows systems and both Fiio devices.
And it is - highest rate DSD files cannot be played on both devices (DSD256/DSD512) in Windows. The same files can be played in Android/UAPP. So I think it is some problem with Fiio USB driver.
DSD64-128 for BTR5 and DSD64-256 for Q5s is playing well.

Is anybody else who has the same problem?
@FiiO will you please help me with this problem?
Dear user,

The BTR5 and Q5S support DSD up to DSD256.

And you may check whether your settings in foobar app is correct? Please refer to this thread for help: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42714
1593483366983.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,852 of 3,680
Dear user,

The BTR5 and Q5S support DSD up to DSD256.

And you may check whether your settings in foobar app is correct? Please refer to this thread for help: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42714

Best regards
Thanks for reply,I also find out what is the reason. And learned some more things as a result.
Foobar SACD plugin does not send Navive DSD anymore from version 0.9.7. This was a big surprise and disapointment for me. Rolling back to several years old version is not for me because author already did some big change in SACD tagging and I would have to retag all my isos.
Foobar outputs only DSD over PCM now and device max PCM sample rate is not high enough for DSD256/512. Max DoP rate depends logically on PCM max rate. That's clear.
Problem is in Foobar SACD plugin and some other player (don't remeber which one) only, other players may output Native DSD via ASIO.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,853 of 3,680
Just wanna drop in and say this is the best thing I've ever heard via BT (and edge out some DAP as well). Amazing work.
So is the LDAC EQ coming anytime soon?
I'm using Wavelet in the meantime :)
svFwcKX - Imgur.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,854 of 3,680
Just wanna drop in and say this is the best thing I've ever heard via BT (and edge out some DAP as well). Amazing work.
So is the LDAC EQ coming anytime soon?
I'm using Wavelet in the meantime :)
svFwcKX - Imgur.jpg
Dear user,

The engineer is still working on the EQ support for LDAC Bluetooth codec. If everything goes well, it will be supported at the end of this year.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 4, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,856 of 3,680
Does that do as well as LG's V series as a transport/DAP ?

You are asking how well my Xperia 5 as a transport / DAP? Well, like a lot of smartphones these days, it doesn't even have a 3.5mm output so it certainly can't be used as DAP. As for as a transport (feeding to BT adapter), I'll say it works just as well as any.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,857 of 3,680
Thought I would post a short review of the FiiO SK-BTR5 case that I obtained through Penon Audio.

Besides the expected wait to receive the case, it arrived intact and well packaged. The BTR5 fits well in the case by sliding it into the open top of the case while orienting the screen to appear in the cutout provided. There are appropriate openings for connecting cables and embossed designs on the side that mimic the buttons used to control the unit. However, the buttons themselves reside under the case material. As a result, I find a lack of tactile feedback when trying to "find" the correct button to perform a function. Also, the BTR5 can slide up in the case during handling due to its open top and thereby obscure the screen and make locating buttons problematic. While the case seems well made, these issues made me less prone to use the case while trying to operate the BTR5. There is no way it would fit in the provided clip while in the case. It will be fine for protecting the unit during transport or storage.

P.S., you may want to keep the little foam packing that is inside the case when shipped to be able to re-use it to help the case keep its shape when stuffed into storage by itself. It was the first thing I discarded.

So in summary, love the BTR5, not so much the case for it. Hope this helps anyone considering a similar purchase.

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,858 of 3,680
Thought I would post a short review of the FiiO SK-BTR5 case that I obtained through Penon Audio.

Besides the expected wait to receive the case, it arrived intact and well packaged. The BTR5 fits well in the case by sliding it into the open top of the case while orienting the screen to appear in the cutout provided. There are appropriate openings for connecting cables and embossed designs on the side that mimic the buttons used to control the unit. However, the buttons themselves reside under the case material. As a result, I find a lack of tactile feedback when trying to "find" the correct button to perform a function. Also, the BTR5 can slide up in the case during handling due to its open top and thereby obscure the screen and make locating buttons problematic. While the case seems well made, these issues made me less prone to use the case while trying to operate the BTR5. There is no way it would fit in the provided clip while in the case. It will be fine for protecting the unit during transport or storage.

P.S., you may want to keep the little foam packing that is inside the case when shipped to be able to re-use it to help the case keep its shape when stuffed into storage by itself. It was the first thing I discarded.

So in summary, love the BTR5, not so much the case for it. Hope this helps anyone considering a similar purchase.
Thanks for confirming this. I thought about the lack of tactile and I was hesitated :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #1,860 of 3,680
can anyone confirm if there's any significant battery difference high and low gain?

It is mostly the volume output as well as the load impedance that determines the battery life, not the gain setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back