[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #1,862 of 3,670
can anyone confirm if there's any significant battery difference high and low gain?
tl;dr - BTR5 lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes @ High gain 100% Volume (60) driving Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm playing action movies.

High Gain = Higher Volume -> larger battery drain. More power to drive higher impedance and insensitive headphones will take Higher Gain, Higher Volume, and that will take more power.

I plugged in my new Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm headphones into the BTR5 3.5mm port and I am using the BTR5 as a USB DAC (PC Windows 10).

I have the BTR5 Gain set to High and the BTR5 Volume set to 60, yes the 100% maximum volume.

The BTR5 @ 100% volume High Gain is driving the DT880's loud enough to enjoy watching an action film (Battleship, Youtube TV).

Even at the maximum volume of 60 on H Gain the BTR5 isn't distorting, it's been running this way for 2 hours+, but it's not on battery - USB DAC + Charge=On.

BTW, the BTR5 is in the FiiO all black case, and it's not even warm after 2+ hours at H Gain Maximum volume, while charging.

I've turned off USB charging and started another movie (12:40am, Independence Day: Resurgence 1:55)... I'll update here later. :)
DT880 + BTR5 at H Gain 60 Volume.jpg
Update 1:40am: 1 hour in, 3 bars left... 50% battery remaining.
Update 3:00am: Movie over, 2 bars left... 33% battery remaining...10 minute break...
Update 3:10am: Starting "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" 2:01, starting with 2 bars left at 3:10am
Update 3:50am: Down to 1 bar, 15% battery power left...1hr 20 left of the movie, I don't think the BTR5 is going to make it.
Update 3:56am: Well, that didn't take long. Audio dropped out, no bars, screen started blinking, showed the option to turn Charge=On so I did that and the screen stopped blinking - but no audio. Screen shows 44.1khz instead of 384khz. Going to wait and see if it sync's back up on it's own.
Update 4:02am: Battery shows 2 bars and charging, but the BTR5 didn't continue audio, so I power cycled it. The BTR5 is showing 384k and playing fine @ High Gain 60 Volume, with 2 bars solid and a 3rd blinking.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #1,863 of 3,670
"Conservation of energy" states that in a closed system, no energy is lost or gained.
It means, that in our case, the only way the battery can get drained is either by Heat dissipation (Fiio getting hotter) or supplying larger power to the headphones.
Position of any switch is irrelevent, unless it causes one of the above.
Sure higher frequency oscillations, more processing causes the unit to heat up more, using the bluetooth section or not again has an effect, but lower or higher gain does not.
The higher gain setting is for either "Low efficiency" headphones - in which case you have no choice but to use the high gain settings, and YES it will drain your battery faster because it is the headphones that are using the energy.
OR the higher gain setting is for "high impedance" headphones (which may or may not be efficient), as they require higher voltage swing to produce the same loudness of sound.
again it is the efficiency of the headphones that dictates how much POWER it uses and not its impedance or voltage swing.
At any rate, it is advisable to use the right gain settings for your choice of headphones for many reasons.
Play something at low gain, push your volume to max on both the player and the device, if it is loud enough to hurt your ears and/or headphones then low gain is for you, if not, use high gain.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #1,864 of 3,670
Sorry if it was mentioned before but for those of us that want to wear BTR5 around their neck I think Baseus has a perfect solution. Didn't see similar solutions from other manufacturers but stumbled upon this by accident while looking for a lanyard for my BTR5.
Not sure if I can post links to AliExpress here so just search for 'Baseus Lanyard'.
2020-07-09 12.43.17.jpg
2020-07-09 12.45.32.jpg

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,865 of 3,670
Sorry if it was mentioned before but for those of us that want to wear BTR5 around their neck I think Baseus has a perfect solution. Didn't see similar solutions from other manufacturers but stumbled upon this by accident while looking for a lanyard for my BTR5.
Not sure if I can post links to AliExpress here so just search for 'Baseus Lanyard'.
2020-07-09 12.43.17.jpg2020-07-09 12.45.32.jpg
I think you can also use like a phone holder ring thingy.
BTW, mine gets a bit warm if plug in and play via BT

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #1,867 of 3,670
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,868 of 3,670
Jul 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,870 of 3,670
Hi im new on this thread. I have an Iphone is it worth getting the Btr5 or only good with android?(cos the codecs)
I've used it with an iPhone that I use as just a music player. I'm an Android phone guy. Seeing as any Bluetooth you use with iOS is AAC, compared to any other Bluetooth DAV you'd use, you aren't missing out. It's just when compared to LDAC on Android that your really behind. So, if you're looking for bluetooth, may as well get the best Bluetooth DAV you can get for your iOS device.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,871 of 3,670
Hi im new on this thread. I have an Iphone is it worth getting the Btr5 or only good with android?(cos the codecs)

I would say yes, AAC is still a good codec. Maybe not quite as good as AptX HD or LDAC (at 660kbps or 990kbps, which some Android phone can't even achieve), but probably close enough to transparent for most circumstances.

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,872 of 3,670
I'm a couple of days in with my BTR5. Nice! I don't have high-end gear, so I'll leave those comparisons to others. I can say that is sounds *really good* (technical term), particularly when playing high-quality audio files.

When connected to a computer via USB, it sounds like it could be a "real" desktop amp. Overall, the output seems drier/crisper than what comes though my O2+SDAC or Xonar STX, but is not noticeably inferior. It might actually be better for critical listening in some situations (classical). "Clear and capable" are the adjectives that spring to mind. I am sometimes amazed by how good small, wireless devices can sound these days.

I tried the balanced mode with my HD6xx and have no complaints.They sound great. (This is my first try with balanced gear, though, so I have no reference to compare.) I perceive across-the-board improvements vs. single-output mode (using same headphones). Really impressed with the BTR5/6xx combo in balanced mode. I also tried my HD560 Ovations-IIs in single-ended mode and felt there was enough power.

I spent a couple hours in single-output mode with my ie80s found myself enjoying the music but wanting better IEMs. I attribute this to the BTR5 being able to adequately drive my over-ear headphones in a way my previous mobile gear could not. The difference I rationalized as "mobile" vs. "stationary" is erased. So now the deficiencies of the ie80 are obvious.

I think the BTR5 Bluetooth detail lacks just a bit, but only occasionally. Tidal Hi-FI tracks over LDAC are lovely. I streamed FLACs via DLNA from my network using the FiiO Android app and liked that even better.

Sound quality is a *noticeable* step up up from my BTR1, which I liked when new, but always perceived as a bit muddy in the lows and artificial in the highs. The BTR5 doesn't share these weaknesses. Also, I find the signal range of the BTR5 to be much better. I can walk two rooms, often more, from my source and not lose signal. With the BTR1, I have to stay in the same room.

Usability is also good. The clip is strong and the unit is very pocketable. The buttons and features are easy to use and navigate. I haven't tried the microphones, yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I keep reminding myself this was (only) a $120 purchase. I was considering buying a DAP, but this device is so versatile and enjoyable that I might not need one. I can now listen to any of my headphones/earphones wirelessly, while cooking supper or walking around the house, and have perhaps 90-percent of the experience of sitting in a chair with a wired setup. This is exactly what I wanted.

What did you use to connect your 6XX to the BTR5? did you buy a 2.5mm cable for the 6XX or just a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #1,873 of 3,670
What did you use to connect your 6XX to the BTR5? did you buy a 2.5mm cable for the 6XX or just a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Never ever connect a single ended cable to a balanced ended amp output. That very possibly will damage the amp stage.
Your sole "right" option for your purpose is to swap the cans cable.

The viceversa (connecting a balanced cable to a single ended amp - via an adapter ofc) is harmless and "ok", instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back