[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #976 of 3,678
Just like to update others and let them know the glitches I was experiencing with BTR5 to V30 over USB C are resolved.

The problem as suspected was because of the cable I was using. A USB C to Micro USB with with a USB C adapter. I guess it was having some kind of bandwidth bottleneck when it came to playing back highest level 384 recordings.

A basic short £3 USB C to USB C cable arrived today and I’m a happy man. Everything is now playing perfectly through UAPP app.

Now I need more time to evaluate using V30 via 3.5mm vs connected over USB C to BTR5 2.5mm for highest quality listening experience.
LDAC is working so well that it will have to be a fair improvement to bother going the USB C route at all.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #977 of 3,678
I haven't been very active in this hobby lately so I was wondering did FiiO increased the Price of BTR5 from $100 to $150 USD?

I think not. This is more likely retailers responding to demand that has been repeatedly running through their stock. I was able to get my seller to match the 109. I paid for mine at the beginning of the year on a reorder for 2 more as gifts. 139 on Aliexpress.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #978 of 3,678
I use usb connection on the Btr5 just to connect to my Surface pro.
With V30, i'm going bluetooth or just the 3.5 socket. :)

Nice to hear about the problem is solved.

Have a great listening.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #979 of 3,678
Just like to update others and let them know the glitches I was experiencing with BTR5 to V30 over USB C are resolved.

The problem as suspected was because of the cable I was using. A USB C to Micro USB with with a USB C adapter. I guess it was having some kind of bandwidth bottleneck when it came to playing back highest level 384 recordings.

A basic short £3 USB C to USB C cable arrived today and I’m a happy man. Everything is now playing perfectly through UAPP app.

Now I need more time to evaluate using V30 via 3.5mm vs connected over USB C to BTR5 2.5mm for highest quality listening experience.
LDAC is working so well that it will have to be a fair improvement to bother going the USB C route at all.

Honestly bluetooth sounds amazing, but I feel if you're doing dsd or very high quality files you get a large boost using usb. It's still more even and balanced on usb out on regular files but man it's so close with ldac.

I mean it sounds fantastic with ldac. Oh and glad you got the problem sorted.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #980 of 3,678
Full MQA unfolding using BTR5 in a future firmware.

Due to the outbreak, I doubt FiiO is having all their stuffs back to work at this moment. Also doubt they will be back on full swing before mid~later March

On the other hand, I don't see the important of MQA technically on what mainly designed as a BT devices (as BT can't do MQA). Most people who buy BTR5 is going to use it as a BT adapter, but MQA only works over USB. It will add to the cost (at least for FiiO to get the license, as MQA fee is paid on per device basis) yet won't be used on most owners.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #981 of 3,678
Plus you can always stream Amazon HD which I find superior to mqa and get the full bandwidth via usb out if you want hd streaming.

Free trials available :) ha ha. I really can't notice much difference on ultra high bit rate stuff, I notice more if the recording master is well done. Now DSD I do notice the difference.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #982 of 3,678
Can anyone recommend a short usb c to usb c cable to connect this as a dac or will any do?
(No knowledge of transfer of audio over usb c).
The 6" Amazon basics cable was a buck cheaper at the time, but I wanted a shorter cable and this one is 10cm (3.9"), $7.90 when I bought it, currently unavailable:

DD TC05 Type C to Type C Audio Data Decoding Cable for FiiO K3/BTR1K/M9/M6 10 cm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJZBYVH/

Currently available here sold by DD, but it's $13.99:

DD TC05 TypeC to TypeC Audio Data Decoding Cable for Android phone to USB DAC&AMP device.
https://www.amazon.com/DD-TypeC-Audio-Decoding-Cable/dp/B07NZV515X

The DD TC05 looks to me like a shorter version of the FiiO LT-TC01 ($17.99) 50cm / 0.5m:

FiiO LT-TC1 TypeC to TypeC Audio Data Decoding Cable for K3/M9/M11/M5/BTR5
ttps://hifigo.com/collections/fiio/products/fiio-lt-tc1-typec-to-typec-audio-data-decoding-cable-for-fiio-k3-m9-m11-m5-btr5-btr3

It works great between the BTR5 and Note 10+. It is directional, so if it "doesn't work", turn it around... the arrow directions need to point toward the BTR5.

For my use 10cm is nice to use right next to the phone. I use a much longer USB A Male to USB A Female extension cable to the PC with the USB A Male to USB C Male tail to the BTR5 as provided by FiiO with the BTR5.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #983 of 3,678
I haven't been very active in this hobby lately so I was wondering did FiiO increased the Price of BTR5 from $100 to $150 USD?
I think not. This is more likely retailers responding to demand that has been repeatedly running through their stock. I was able to get my seller to match the 109. I paid for mine at the beginning of the year on a reorder for 2 more as gifts. 139 on Aliexpress.
When the BTR5 first came out I wondered the same thing as $99 was the rumored(?) price but it was pretty much $139-$150 everywhere, until it first hit Amazon and FiiO as a seller had the BTR5 at $109.99 - briefly, and that's the lowest I've seen it so far - right now it's unavailable on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK3M6XK

So perhaps the BTR5 MSRP is $109.99?

Hifigo.com has it for $129.99 discounted from $139.99, but orders will queue up waiting for fulfillment (China):
https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-btr5-dual-es9218p-dac-native-dsd-decoding-bluetooth-amplifier

HiFiGo also has the BTR5 leather case by DD, you can get the DD logo (Red / Black) or the FiiO logo embossed (all Black), here's the DD Logo link - make sure to select the one you want before adding it to the cart. Mine is waiting to ship.
https://hifigo.com/products/leather...th-adapter-cover-black?variant=31570124636209
leather-case-for-fiio-btr5-bluetooth-adapter-cover-black-hifigo.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #984 of 3,678
So perhaps the BTR5 MSRP is $109.99?

There is no real MSRP for BTR5. FiiO doesn't set the final price and allows for the reseller to set their own price.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #985 of 3,678
...Now I need more time to evaluate using V30 via 3.5mm vs connected over USB C to BTR5 2.5mm for highest quality listening experience.
I agree, LDAC is great and APT-X isn't "bad", I don't mind switching back and forth between USB-C and BT when I am roaming.

I connect via USB-C to Note 10+ / PC when seated. I have the BTR5 set to Prefer USB DAC so when I connect to USB C the BTR5 automatically switches back from BT to DAC. The BTR5 disconnects "seamlessly" switching to BT LDAC (phone) BT and APT-X (PC) when I roam.

I've A/B'd balanced and unbalanced KB Ear 16 core 2.5mm and 3.5mm - same cable spec - I prefer the balanced 2.5mm, and not only because of the higher volume. I find the balanced 2.5mm has a wider sound image expanding outwards slightly more from my head side to side.

KB EAR 16 core silver cable with metal 2pin/MMCX/QDC Connector Use For TRN V90 BA5 KZ ZSX ZS10 PRO AS10 BLON BL-03 CCA C12 QDC
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33045414046.html

It depends on the source material too of course. For now I am listening with HD / Ultra HD on Amazon Music HD, Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, etc. I've tried to switch back to 3.5mm, but I keep going back to 2.5mm balanced after a short time - balanced sounds better to me.

I have the Gain set to L most of the time, I prefer to have a little more play in the volume control.

Of note, I see 384k when I connect via USB-C to the phone but as soon as I play something the BTR5 shows 192k.

When connected via USB-C to the PC using the Sound Settings for the device entry for the BTR5 I can set the connection to 32 bit 384k and whatever I play it shows 384k on the BTR5.

At 16 bit 384k I can tell a distinct difference from 32 bit 384k - it sounds smoother at 32 bit or edgier / sharper in a not good way at 16 bit, similar differences at 192k 32/16 bit. The BTR5 display tracks the changes showing 192k / 384k.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #986 of 3,678
There is no real MSRP for BTR5. FiiO doesn't set the final price and allows for the reseller to set their own price.
That's unusual, most companies set an MSRP and from that reference point let the market price be set by the re-seller's.

We customers and re-sellers need an MSRP to set a reference point as somewhere to start negotiating.:)

FiiO themselves as a retail seller on Amazon set the BTR5 price at $109.99, defining the Manufacturers Retail Price directly through actual sales. When FiiO are able to ship again I expect FiiO to re-open sales at the same $109.99, and the other sellers will need to adjust their prices to match - as long as FiiO has them in stock at that price.

It is the same for any company world-wide no just FiiO. There can be regional pricing to account for the variance in regional costs.

On Amazon US I expect to see US MSRP at most for all of the products I end up purchasing, I shop for lowest price from reliable sources, Amazon Prime primarily. It's not unusual to see the newest products come out at elevated prices when they are in short supply, but I usually wait until I see them for at least MSRP before buying.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #987 of 3,678
The MSRP at the official FiiO store in Germany is 119 €, if that helps.

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #988 of 3,678
The MSRP at the official FiiO store in Germany is 119 €, if that helps.
$128 USD - ~19% VAT(?) = $104 USD, a bit closer to $99.99 than $109.99 - was that price with VAT? Does it come with anything else?:

On the USA side FiiO either sends me to their AliExpress FiiO shop and there is no BTR5 there at all. Another USA FiiO link sends me to TaoBao, and the BTR5 shows "This item has been taken off the shelves", but the price there equates to $99.69-$122.62, at the higher price you get a Balanced 2.5mm or 3.5mm cable added - I guess they didn't notice only the 2.5mm on the BTR5 is balanced.

FiiO Store on Aliexpress, oddly it sends me to a German page => .DE., and there is no .EN., but I can click "Send me to Global Site (English)", and that's the 2nd link:
https://fiio.de.aliexpress.com/store/1473108
https://fiio.aliexpress.com/store/1473108?spm=a2g0o.store_home

FiiO store on TaoBao:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=604099078511&scene=taobao_shop

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #990 of 3,678
That's unusual, most companies set an MSRP and from that reference point let the market price be set by the re-seller's. FiiO themselves as a retail seller on Amazon set the BTR5 price at $109.99, defining the Manufacturers Retail Selling Price directly.

We customers and re-sellers need an MSRP to set a reference point as somewhere to start negotiating.:)

If FiiO set a strict worldwide price, they need to consider that the price will need to be high enough so EU reseller is going to make enough money out of it after paying not just for BTR5 itself, but also import tax, international shipping fee as well all the hidden cost of running a business. But on the other hand, Ali express seller will not get affected as a higher price means they make much more money than EU seller (or they will lower the price to undercut EU seller). There is also the problem that Chinese buyers will actually pay a much higher price even though there isn't any tax or shipping fee.

While BTR5 itself is sold for the same price from FiiO to the all resellers, the cost of running a business for different resellers in different part of the world is not the same, so the only way to have an universal price is to set the price really high, which ends up hurting the consumers. FiiO on the other hand prefers to go the other way, allowing the reseller to set the final price that makes most sense to their targeted market group. For example, EU buyer might pay a higher price for EU reseller, but they get better / easier service in exchange. If EU buyer want to get a lower price and get it from China, then they knows they are not going to get as fast or easy a service as they will get from EU reseller. It will never be perfect regardless of whether FiiO allows or not allows the reseller to set their own price, just different in compromise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back