[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #691 of 3,650
Connecting the Btr5 via bluetooth (aptX HD) to my Surface Pro looks like a bad decision, especially with the use of a Logitech bluetooth mouse and the Surface pen.
You'll get a lot if cracks and interrupts while , even when the Btr is close to the Surface.
Without moving the mouse or pen the cracks persist irregularly without any interrupts.
The bluetooth connection with the Surface isn't as stable as with a smartphone.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #692 of 3,650
I'm a couple of days in with my BTR5. Nice! I don't have high-end gear, so I'll leave those comparisons to others. I can say that is sounds *really good* (technical term), particularly when playing high-quality audio files.

When connected to a computer via USB, it sounds like it could be a "real" desktop amp. Overall, the output seems drier/crisper than what comes though my O2+SDAC or Xonar STX, but is not noticeably inferior. It might actually be better for critical listening in some situations (classical). "Clear and capable" are the adjectives that spring to mind. I am sometimes amazed by how good small, wireless devices can sound these days.

I tried the balanced mode with my HD6xx and have no complaints.They sound great. (This is my first try with balanced gear, though, so I have no reference to compare.) I perceive across-the-board improvements vs. single-output mode (using same headphones). Really impressed with the BTR5/6xx combo in balanced mode. I also tried my HD560 Ovations-IIs in single-ended mode and felt there was enough power.

I spent a couple hours in single-output mode with my ie80s found myself enjoying the music but wanting better IEMs. I attribute this to the BTR5 being able to adequately drive my over-ear headphones in a way my previous mobile gear could not. The difference I rationalized as "mobile" vs. "stationary" is erased. So now the deficiencies of the ie80 are obvious.

I think the BTR5 Bluetooth detail lacks just a bit, but only occasionally. Tidal Hi-FI tracks over LDAC are lovely. I streamed FLACs via DLNA from my network using the FiiO Android app and liked that even better.

Sound quality is a *noticeable* step up up from my BTR1, which I liked when new, but always perceived as a bit muddy in the lows and artificial in the highs. The BTR5 doesn't share these weaknesses. Also, I find the signal range of the BTR5 to be much better. I can walk two rooms, often more, from my source and not lose signal. With the BTR1, I have to stay in the same room.

Usability is also good. The clip is strong and the unit is very pocketable. The buttons and features are easy to use and navigate. I haven't tried the microphones, yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I keep reminding myself this was (only) a $120 purchase. I was considering buying a DAP, but this device is so versatile and enjoyable that I might not need one. I can now listen to any of my headphones/earphones wirelessly, while cooking supper or walking around the house, and have perhaps 90-percent of the experience of sitting in a chair with a wired setup. This is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #693 of 3,650
I'm a couple of days in with my BTR5. Nice! I don't have high-end gear, so I'll leave those comparisons to others. I can say that is sounds *really good* (technical term), particularly when playing high-quality audio files.

When connected to a computer via USB, it sounds like it could be a "real" desktop amp. Overall, the output seems drier/crisper than what comes though my O2+SCAD or Xonar STX, but is not noticeably inferior. It might actually be better for critical listening in some situations (classical). "Clear and capable" are the adjectives that spring to mind. I am sometimes amazed by how good small, wireless devices can sound these days.

I tried the balanced mode with my HD6xx and have no complaints.They sound great. (This is my first try with balanced gear, though, so I have no reference to compare.) I perceive across-the-board improvements vs. single-output mode (using same headphones). Really impressed with the BTR5/6xx combo in balanced mode. I also tried my HD560 Ovations-IIs in single-ended mode and felt there was enough power.

I spent a couple hours in single-output mode with my ie80s found myself enjoying the music but wanting better IEMs. I attribute this to the BTR5 being able to adequately drive my over-ear headphones in a way my previous mobile gear could not. The difference I rationalized as "mobile" vs. "stationary" is erased. So now the deficiencies of the ie80 are obvious.

I think the BTR5 Bluetooth detail lacks just a bit, but only occasionally. Tidal Hi-FI tracks over LDAC are lovely. I streamed FLACs via DLNA from my network using the FiiO Android app and liked that even better.

Sound quality is a *noticeable* step up up from my BTR1, which I liked when new, but always perceived as a bit muddy in the lows and artificial in the highs. The BTR5 doesn't share these weaknesses. Also, I find the signal range of the BTR5 to be much better. I can walk two rooms, often more, from my source and not lose signal. With the BTR1, I have to stay in the same room.

Usability is also good. The clip is strong and the unit is very pocketable. The buttons and features are easy to use and navigate. I haven't tried the microphones, yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I keep reminding myself this was (only) a $120 purchase. I was considering buying a DAP, but this device is so versatile and enjoyable that I might not need one. I can now listen to any of my headphones/earphones wirelessly, while cooking supper or walking around the house, and have perhaps 90-percent of the experience of sitting in a chair with a wired setup. This is exactly what I wanted.

And there sits the beauty of the btr5, 90 percent in a ultra portable stick/clip, turns your favourite iems/headphones more portable ............ *sounds really good* is easily the most universal technical term and definitely describes the btr5 to a T :)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #695 of 3,650
Some very persuasive people here, consider me persuaded - just ordered.

Next to zero BT experience from before, and didn't like any BT headsets I auditioned lately, so have got high hopes for the BTR5. Will be going LGV30-UAPP-Tidal-BTR5/LDAC-Nightowls.
If you haven't already done so, enable developer options in settings. This will allow you to force highest transfer rate for LDAC (as opposed to best effort). Note (a) you will need to do that every time you connect the BTR5 (v30 thing) and that while this gives you highest quality it will dramatically cut the range so have nothing in between the phone and BTR5, and keep them pretty close.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #696 of 3,650
I also bought one :)

This will replace my crappy work headset. When I read, that it has NC for calls and 2 mics, I was sold.

What I have read in the past few weeks, is that when connected with USB it appears somewhat laggy.
Is this still the case?

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #697 of 3,650
I also bought one :)

This will replace my crappy work headset. When I read, that it has NC for calls and 2 mics, I was sold.

What I have read in the past few weeks, is that when connected with USB it appears somewhat laggy.
Is this still the case?

It doesn’t have 2 mics built-in. There’s only one. But if you plug in a pair of earphones that has mic, then it will make use of both mics for NC, but I think it only works on the 3.5SE and not the 2.5BAL.

I have used it in USB Mode on both my iPhone and laptop, no lag for YouTube and Netflix.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #698 of 3,650
It doesn’t have 2 mics built-in. There’s only one. But if you plug in a pair of earphones that has mic, then it will make use of both mics for NC, but I think it only works on the 3.5SE and not the 2.5BAL.

I have used it in USB Mode on both my iPhone and laptop, no lag for YouTube and Netflix.

Thank you for clarifying.

I really looking forward to this device :)

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #700 of 3,650
Some very persuasive people here, consider me persuaded - just ordered.

Next to zero BT experience from before, and didn't like any BT headsets I auditioned lately, so have got high hopes for the BTR5. Will be going LGV30-UAPP-Tidal-BTR5/LDAC-Nightowls.

If you haven't already done so, enable developer options in settings. This will allow you to force highest transfer rate for LDAC (as opposed to best effort). Note (a) you will need to do that every time you connect the BTR5 (v30 thing) and that while this gives you highest quality it will dramatically cut the range so have nothing in between the phone and BTR5, and keep them pretty close.

I run my BTR5 with V30, it works really well. I leave it in best effort mode and I can't for the life of me hear any SQ diff between that and forced 990 :) - YMMV but certainly, my advice is not to get too bogged down with the numbers and just enjoy the music.

In 990 mode it's just too choppy for me to use it consistently, and also seems to stutter (even) more when using higher bitrate files like 24/96. IMHO the dev option is a bit of red herring. It seems a bit of a non-sequitur to have to keep the units almost stuck together physically just to maintain a signal, lol. Sort of defeats the object of having a bluetooth dongle :)

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #701 of 3,650
I run my BTR5 with V30, it works really well. I leave it in best effort mode and I can't for the life of me hear any SQ diff between that and forced 990 :) - YMMV but certainly, my advice is not to get too bogged down with the numbers and just enjoy the music.

In 990 mode it's just too choppy for me to use it consistently, and also seems to stutter (even) more when using higher bitrate files like 24/96. IMHO the dev option is a bit of red herring. It seems a bit of a non-sequitur to have to keep the units almost stuck together physically just to maintain a signal, lol. Sort of defeats the object of having a bluetooth dongle :)

The connection also gets choppy for me on Note8 LDAC set to 990. I tested with a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3, and it too was choppy with 990. So I think the problem is with the phone and not the BTR5 or 1000xm3. Anyway 660 has been very stable and I don’t really hear a difference between 990 vs 660. My tracks are mainly 16bit 44.1khz.

I do hear a difference from 24bit 96/88.2khz, but that’s only when I listen to the same song in two sampling rate back to back, then the difference becomes barely apparent for me. So I just settle for 16bit 44.1khz, as it’s too much hassle to get Hi-Res files.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #702 of 3,650

Good points. Nonetheless the option is there and should at least be known by all. For my use case, which is commuting, having the phone and BTR5 close together is not an issue at all. If you were in an office or home environment and wanted to have the two separate for whatever reason (leaving your phone on your desk while walking around within 30 feet or so of it) or just had too many things in pockets to keep the phone and BTR5 close to each other then the Best Effort mode is great.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #703 of 3,650
I use 990kbps if at home and don't want to go wired and its fine with my Samsung S10+ and the ZX507 I had. When out & about I leave at default.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #705 of 3,650
What about a Mac version? No one I know uses a PC here in the United States.

Maybe US will see sence one day and stop buying overpriced tech :).

Only people I ever come across in UK using Macs are directors with little tech ability.

Bit behind as was released beforw new year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back