[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #676 of 3,687
With BTR5 it really makes you wonder why bother messing around with expensive DAP's its that good. Just tried & returning a ZX507 mostly due to EU volume cap as it does sound great, but does make you question if worth spending nearly 8x as much if sound quality is main requirement rather than a BTR5+Android smartphone combo.

If your a novice head-fi'er with a limited budget you have to check-out a BTR5 over LDAC BT or as a wired DAC/AMP.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #677 of 3,687
With BTR5 it really makes you wonder why bother messing around with expensive DAP's its that good. Just tried & returning a ZX507 mostly due to EU volume cap as it does sound great, but does make you question if worth spending nearly 8x as much if sound quality is main requirement rather than a BTR5+Android smartphone combo.

If your a novice head-fi'er with a limited budget you have to check-out a BTR5 over LDAC BT or as a wired DAC/AMP.

I agree, its made me think exactly the same at times....amazing for the money.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #678 of 3,687

Not to forget that almost every smartphone operates so much smoother than any DAP on the market, especially if you use streaming services.

I came to your conclusion, too, already some years ago, after trying out XB10 after using many different DAPs. Sound quality of recent (and not only recent) BT-DACs is a lot better than their reputation amongst audiophiles and the SQ differences of DAPs are way overrated in my opinion. In the end, source is much less important in the audio chain than earphones/headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #679 of 3,687
I've tested the Btr5 with a regular Usb-C to Usb-C cable purchased at amazon.
It do work with V30 and UAPP. :wink:

Can you please share your experience of V30 with BTR5 over USB C Balanced output Versus V30 headphone out.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #680 of 3,687
Can you please share your experience of V30 with BTR5 over USB C Balanced output Versus V30 headphone out.
Sure.
But it needs a bit of listening time.
Its hard till impossible to match volumes by hearing. :wink:
Don't know how it'll effect audio from se to bal with nearly 100mW more on the Btr5.
:)

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #681 of 3,687

I'll +1 that as well! I do have a very nice DAP (R6 Pro) but the BTR5 with LDAC is so good, and my v30 is just so much smoother (and has to always be with me anyway) that I am almost exclusively using the BTR5... Considering I have been a never-ever anti-Bluetooth snob, that's a big change for me.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #682 of 3,687
I'll +1 that as well! I do have a very nice DAP (R6 Pro) but the BTR5 with LDAC is so good, and my v30 is just so much smoother (and has to always be with me anyway) that I am almost exclusively using the BTR5... Considering I have been a never-ever anti-Bluetooth snob, that's a big change for me.

I too was one of the bluetooth naysayers....never did I think I would compare to wired....the btr5 is everything us type of guys are hyping , I've been trying to sell it's worth to other naysayers too.... @KEV G is a true skeptic lol....come on my friend you know your gonna.

Jan 29, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #683 of 3,687
Just started using the BTR5 also with my PC and realised it wasn't changing to correct Sample Rate as tracks changed so went looking for a Fiio USB driver and found the Fiio Control Panel install which now shows BTR5 in Control Panel as FiiO Q series and in Applet does show as Fiio BTR5 and now changes to correct Sample Rate (single unfold with Tidal Masters to 96000 or 88200)

Couple of interesting points:

• Does BTR5 not support ASIO as shows as "not active" ?
  • The BTR5 only seems to support 16 or 32 bit (not 24bit) so if a Tidal track is 24/96 is there some kind of scaling going off to 32 bit?

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #684 of 3,687
Just started using the BTR5 also with my PC and realised it wasn't changing to correct Sample Rate as tracks changed so went looking for a Fiio USB driver and found the Fiio Control Panel install which now shows BTR5 in Control Panel as FiiO Q series and in Applet does show as Fiio BTR5 and now changes to correct Sample Rate (single unfold with Tidal Masters to 96000 or 88200)

Couple of interesting points:

• Does BTR5 not support ASIO as shows as "not active" ?
  • The BTR5 only seems to support 16 or 32 bit (not 24bit) so if a Tidal track is 24/96 is there some kind of scaling going off to 32 bit?
I have dabbled with the BTR5 using Roon and PC, and am getting "bit perfect" signal which is a good start. Moreover, I have BTR5 ASIO and BTR5 Wasapi modes

upload_2020-1-29_10-54-40.png

Looking at the signal path for a 24bit Flac, all is good...

upload_2020-1-29_10-58-49.png

The Fiio panel still says 32bits.

I had the same issue with the Fiio M11 and asked fiio about it, and they told me it's just showing the default max bitrate.

Hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #685 of 3,687
I have dabbled with the BTR5 using Roon and PC, and am getting "bit perfect" signal which is a good start. Moreover, I have BTR5 ASIO and BTR5 Wasapi modes

Looking at the signal path for a 24bit Flac, all is good...

The Fiio panel still says 32bits.

I had the same issue with the Fiio M11 and asked fiio about it, and they told me it's just showing the default max bitrate.

Hope this helps.

Did you install the Fiio USB driver on PC or something else. I don't think all apps support ASIO (don't currently use Roon).
Sound fantastic anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #687 of 3,687

Even as a wired DAC to PC (or USB with UAPP on Android) its up there with much more expensive DAC's including the Mojo IMO. Even Spotify sounds great though I mostly use Tidal and own HD FLAC files (few DSD's).

In office I'm using it wired to PC (keeps it charged too) then while out & about BT via LDAC. Since I fitted my little cable clip instead of case it just all-in-one awesomeness!.

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #688 of 3,687
yeah i did install the fiio driver. You can get a Roon trial for a couple of weeks. It's a great system.

I did trial it and agree its great, but as a tight Yorkshireman the cost is more than the benefit/need for me :smile: (unless costs have come down).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back