[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #376 of 3,676
4-Front.jpg
FiiO BTR5 — detailed text review by Porta.Fi

English: https://porta.fi/fiio-btr5-review-more-than-a-mere-bluetooth-receiver/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-fiio-btr5-bolshe-chem-bluetooth-resiver/

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #379 of 3,676
Hi,

I'm planing to upgrade my Xonar U7 1st gen with Topping NX4 or Fiio BTR5.

I will use it with Meze Classics 99 headphones. Will be a true improvement in sound quality?

How about ocasionally gaming and movie. Those two will suitable?
To be honest I think that those are very different kind of audio devices, the Topping is wired only and the Fiio has bluetooth. I haven't heard the Fiio, but I do own the Q5s and the Topping has a more powerful amplifier. I bought an AM5 amp module, but that was 127 USD on top of the 349 for the Q5s itself. The Topping was 149 USD or less, can't remember. If you need bluetooth get the Fiio, if not, the Topping.

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #380 of 3,676
Anybody know what kinda pinout/wiring does the 2.5mm balanced port use on this unit? Im making my own cable for this but there seems to be a bunch of different styles to wire it..

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #381 of 3,676
Anybody know what kinda pinout/wiring does the 2.5mm balanced port use on this unit? Im making my own cable for this but there seems to be a bunch of different styles to wire it..

Not really, there is only one standard for balanced 2.5mm wiring that everyone follows, including all FiiO's DAP / amps, which basically is the same one established by A&K quite a few years ago.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/some-common-headphones-plug-wiring-for-balanced-audio.875730/

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #382 of 3,676
Anyone knows if moving from xdsd to BTR5 will be downgrade or improvement
I have both. Xdsd wins for overall musicality, period. BTR5 portability and slightly brighter treble is different, and the eq ability allows you to play a little more. BTR5 is my on the go pocket movie m music DAC. Xdsd forpre detailed listening, IMO.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #384 of 3,676
Biggest design mistake on the BTR5 was not including a lanyard loop on the BTR5 itself. I have to keep mine in the plastic clip holder to use the Lanyard around neck. Added weight & bulk.

Hope someone bring as slim case with a lanyard loop.

Going top try one of this is sticker part not too wide

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303322275026

s-l1600.jpg

Update to my lanyard idea.

I got one for ~£5 and fitted. Can now leave off the plastic clip case and looks same styling with the BTR5 (hoop is metal, not plastic and hoop rotates).
Total weight with the loop now 63g which is still fine around neck. Doesn't interfere with BT strength and can even use it as a little stand if you like.

20191231_123724.jpg 20191231_124250.jpg 20191231_124316.jpg 20191231_124413.jpg 20191231_124532.jpg 20191231_124859.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #385 of 3,676

I got one for ~£5 and fitted. Can now leave off the plastic clip case and looks same styling with the BTR5 (hoop is metal, not plastic and hoop rotates).
Total weight with the loop now 63g which is still fine around neck. Doesn't interfere with BT strength and can even use it as a little stand if you like.

A Blue Peter badge is on it's way to you!

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #386 of 3,676
Got one this morning with the main use case being the one that probably was not the intended one. Have been looking for a more portable usb DACs to replace my Topping NX4 on the go. was a bit worried to get one of the dongles, and unlike them was able to test it in the store before buying. In usb DAC mode with my iPhone it works and shines very nicely. It currently hangs from two cables - small camera kit and the delivered usb to USB-C cable. Will be looking for a single cable to replace them. BT is obviously a great bonus and need to see how I exploit it. In BT mode my IEM does not sound that different compared to my AirPod Pros but will need to compare a bit more.

happy to hear more use cases from people who play the music from iPhones. In any case for 119 it’s an awesome piece of kit!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #387 of 3,676

This has given me some ideas. I'm gonna try and get a clip that sticks on the back instead of having the plastic case. Going to explore some options.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #388 of 3,676
This has given me some ideas. I'm gonna try and get a clip that sticks on the back instead of having the plastic case. Going to explore some options.

I originally tried to stick on a Sony clip I had but not safe/secure. This is rock solid so if you get some of the 3M pads and a longer clip it should be OK.

Post your solution if you find one.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #390 of 3,676
Happy New Year, Everybody!

I’m waiting for my unit but I have tested the BTR5 pretty frequently in store, & I have planned to be using it with my iPhone.
Same idea with @al2813 ...

Then for the cases’ case, if it’s gonna hooked with direct short USB-C to Lightning cable, the BTR leather case could be the sticker on the back of the iPhone. Some may use the cool Velcro tape and It may attached with the iPhone cases pretty snuggly. OR Maybe FiiO or other brand make an iPhone case that can be (ok that’s too much :sweat_smile:)

Anyway I find the USB DAC function is fantastic (despite some slow/fast playback sometimes happening) I guess FiiO solved it in the latest FW update.

For BT uses, I may like to put them in the pocket just like a small DAP I used to use years ago (iPod nano).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back