[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,291 of 3,676
Has somebody here managed to connect the btr5 with a ps4?

If yes, what magic have you done. I just cannot do it :frowning2:
I've been searching online for the same question. Anybody here have luck with connecting the btr5 to a PS4? I've connected an es100 without issue, but can't seem to get sound to come out of the btr5. I've tried both USB 1 and 2 settings, and neither work. The display shows 44.1khz as if it's connected, but no sound comes out. Thoughts?

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,292 of 3,676
I just received by BTR5 and noticed when paired with my EE Valks that it clips at relatively low volume on low gain.... This is while streaming apple music over BT. I noticed my Es100 does not do this so I am trying to diagnose the issue. Any ideas?
Maybe the Btr5 doesn't handle this extremly low impedance ciems ( 3 ohm ) very well.

The EE Valkyrie has a 3 ohm impedance?! That's insanely low! :astonished:

I can just about guarantee that is why the BTR5 is having trouble driving them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of portible DAC-amps will also have trouble driving that difficult of a load (regardless of their power rating) because that low of an impedance is getting close to being seen by the amp as a dead-short, and it's protection circuit will then kick in.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,293 of 3,676
The EE Valkyrie has a 3 ohm impedance?! That's insanely low! :astonished:

I can just about guarantee that is why the BTR5 is having trouble driving them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of portible DAC-amps will also have trouble driving that difficult of a load (regardless of their power rating) because that low of an impedance is getting close to being seen by the amp as a dead-short, and it's protection circuit will then kick in.

Yea, I'm learning these things are insane lmao. Maybe i'll just buy the Legend X to avoid these pairing issues.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,294 of 3,676
Yea, I'm learning these things are insane lmao. Maybe i'll just buy the Legend X to avoid these pairing issues.
The Legend X is 100% legit. They have the deepest, cleanest bass response I've ever heard from an IEM, and the rest of their spectrum sounds pretty fantastic too.

Definitely on the pricey side, but they are an end-game-level IEM for sure. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,295 of 3,676
I've been searching online for the same question. Anybody here have luck with connecting the btr5 to a PS4? I've connected an es100 without issue, but can't seem to get sound to come out of the btr5. I've tried both USB 1 and 2 settings, and neither work. The display shows 44.1khz as if it's connected, but no sound comes out. Thoughts?
I actually just got an Xbox one this weekend and I’d love to do something like what you’re talking about with the ES100. So how would that work? Pair the ES100 with the Xbox and then plug my Lola’s into the ES100? Would the ES100 act as a game mic?
Thanks!

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,296 of 3,676
I actually just got an Xbox one this weekend and I’d love to do something like what you’re talking about with the ES100. So how would that work? Pair the ES100 with the Xbox and then plug my Lola’s into the ES100? Would the ES100 act as a game mic?
Thanks!
I don't own an Xbox, but here's what I did with my PS4: Plugged the ES100 into one of the front USB ports with the supplied USB cable, then plugged my iems into the ES100. For some reason, I couldn't get the ES100 to work with any cable, other than the supplied cable. I'm no techno-wiz, so I can't tell you why this is the case. As for the mic on the ES100, I never tried getting it to function with the PS4. Perhaps someone else can speak to this.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,298 of 3,676
Is it a good idea to buy BTR5 just to know decibels at listening ?

It will not be a good idea since BTR5 will not tell you what decibel you are listening. In fact, no BT adapter will be able to tell you what decibel you are listening. Only a dedicated decibel meter on special setup will be able to tell you what decibel you are listening.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,299 of 3,676
It will not be a good idea since BTR5 will not tell you what decibel you are listening. In fact, no BT adapter will be able to tell you what decibel you are listening. Only a dedicated decibel meter on special setup will be able to tell you what decibel you are listening.

It can at least calculate/estimate the decibel level of listening with the app. Am I wrong ?

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,300 of 3,676
It can at least calculate/estimate the decibel level of listening with the app. Am I wrong ?

Yeah it does, but between the calculation and the reality are 20-25 db difference, in my case.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,301 of 3,676

It only does if you are going to listen to pure 1kHz sine wave all the time.

As an industry wide practice, headphone sensitivity in spec is always measured with a pure 1kHz sine wave test tone, so if you rely on FiiO app to calculate the dB SPL using the listed spec, it only reflects / estimate dB under a 1kHz tone. On the other hand, music goes from 20Hz to 20kHz with the fact that it is not gong to be a flat frequency response (both on the music as well as on the headphone), so the actual dB SPL will likely be significantly higher than the dB SPL under 1kHz tone, which makes the "estimated dB" pretty much pointless. A closer, more accurate estimation will be based on sensitivity measured using white noise (*which is equal in intensity from 20Hz to 20kHz), except that you can't really find listed spec on those since almost no manufacturer publishes it.

If dB SPL is a concern for you, the best practice is not to rely on some kind of estimation but the practice of listening to your headphone at the lowest volume possible. If that still feel too loud, that means you either need better noise isolating headphone (i.e. IEM), noise cancelling headphone, or perhaps you shouldn't have listened to music in such a noisy environment (if that's the case).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,302 of 3,676

I could not find anything in the internet. As if no one who has a BTR5 has a PS4.

I tried a few times to connect. Sometimes the BTR5 is visible for my PS4, sometimes not. Never managed to get a connection. I gave up on it.

Happy for you the ES100 works!

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,305 of 3,676
this or ES100?
Depends on the headphone you're going to use with.
With easier to drive ones, i'd pick the ES100.
The Btr5 has more power.
ES100 has better software/app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back