[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,321 of 3,645
As far as I know on all the BT adapters, only Radsone EarStudio ES100 has ever claimed that their EQ will (and indeed does) work on USB DAC (*the other one is Qudelix 5K, which is by the same designer as ES100, though it is not actually out yet). Assuming EQ will just work in USB DAC mode on any other BT adapter without confirmation from either the manufacturer or the users is not a given, at least not in this point of time. In fact, this is one of the main reason why ES100 is so popular, especially among EQ user. It is the exception, not the norm - otherwise ES100 would have lost its biggest sale point.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,322 of 3,645
Correct. Not mentioning that a specific feature is not implemented is not the same as saying it is implemented and it doesn't work.

No it's not.
Affirming the device has an EQ feature gives the user the right to assume its span encompasses the entire device functionality.
Even more so if - like in this specific case - the manufacturer does explicitly publish one feature limitation (does not work on LDAC).
My mentality, of course.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,323 of 3,645
Apr 7, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,324 of 3,645
@Chris Kaoss
I work in a totally different industry, but - guess what - in sales & marketing. I do know what you're talking about :)
I do also agree that "users should be smart, to avoid being fooled by vendors". Of course.
What would be wrong, though, is to conclude that - therefore - vendors are allowed to be "somewhat" / "up to an extent" "approximative" in their statements. "Allowed to lie... just a bit"
They are not.
In some regulated markets "not at all".
In other markets, like this one, strict regulations are in place for some aspects (safety, mainly - lie on a battery's certification and we laugh loud...), and are missing or loose for others.
What can (and does) work in lieu of regulation is user feedback. Let's all prefer more accurate manufacturers, and the inaccurate ones will quickly understand what they are doing wrong. Keep on "excusing" people like Fiio for "technically not lieing" in a case like this, and they will go on and do worse next time. Simple as that.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share that - to me - their attitude is totally wrong, and for this reason I will not buy from them anymore.
Maybe I'm the only stupid thinking like that. I'll live with it :)
Sure.

My intention was not to force that vendors do lying all the time.
They just don't telling the whole truth. :)
That's a little difference and the costumers have to be careful in any way.

Let's keep looking forward to the day FiiO will release a new firmware to enable eq on all circumstances.
(just dreaming, but sometimes, dreams becoming true) :beerchug:

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,325 of 3,645
(just dreaming, but sometimes, dreams becoming true) :beerchug:

:D

I'll divert my budget to other vendors for the future anyway. A droplet in an ocean, I know.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,327 of 3,645
I have had better luck and sound out of my es100 paired with EE Valkyries which are hard to drive and low impedance. BTR5 starts sounding stressed at same volume level that es100 puts out crisp sound throughout frequency range.

ES100 might has the upper hand on pure output power over the 3.5mm single-ended output, though BTR5's balanced 2.5mm output has several times the output power over ES100. I recalled you are only using the 3.5mm on both, so it might worth a try to get a 2.5mm balanced cable for your EE Valkyries, especially since the 2.5mm output on BTR5 is noticeably better sounding than its 3.5mm output.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,328 of 3,645
I don't own an Xbox, but here's what I did with my PS4: Plugged the ES100 into one of the front USB ports with the supplied USB cable, then plugged my iems into the ES100. For some reason, I couldn't get the ES100 to work with any cable, other than the supplied cable. I'm no techno-wiz, so I can't tell you why this is the case. As for the mic on the ES100, I never tried getting it to function with the PS4. Perhaps someone else can speak to this.
Thanks!!

I got some Sony WF-1000MX3's which I'm going to try pairing to the XBOX by Bluetooth to see what that gets me :) The music quality was rather disappointing (good noise canceling though) but one thing I love is the ease of pairing them to my Fire Stick to watch the Expanse last night.

I was plugging my HiBy R6 Pro in as a USB DAC to my projector and then transmitting the sound to my ES100 with Lola's connected to that. It was a pain in the a$s to set up every time and I got some wicked latency. Could never get the lips to match with the words no matter what I did

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,329 of 3,645
I will look at the cables you linked to but I think I would like to have a more budget friendly option, I don't think I need silver plated MMCX cables for my S215 (gym) IEMs, that will likely break at some point anyway like all the others before did. However, once I got another pair of IEMs for home use like the TinHifi T4 or someting similar, I am willing to spend a bit more on a better cable.
Hopefully a member with knowledge about different asian cable vendors will chime in regarding cables for the HD600, 100+€ for a cable are simply out of my price range as I still have to get a new phone that supports high-res audio and LDAC and some microSD storage to store my lossless music library on.
Please excuse bringing this up again but I am still struggling to find more affordable cables for the balanced output of the BTR 5 (that I don't own yet because of the current delivery situatiuon) and my two headphones, I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me out with some links as the only one I was able to find was this one (but whose reviews aren't too good..).
I would like to order them so I have them ready once the BTR 5 is in stock again.

TIA!

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,330 of 3,645
Please excuse bringing this up again but I am still struggling to find more affordable cables for the balanced output of the BTR 5 (that I don't own yet because of the current delivery situatiuon) and my two headphones, I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me out with some links as the only one I was able to find was this one (but whose reviews aren't too good..).
I would like to order them so I have them ready once the BTR 5 is in stock again.

TIA!
Did you looked at ?
You'll find your cable there, i think. :)

For example
FAAEAL 4Core

Or this on

LN006162 Silber 8 core 2,5mm

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,331 of 3,645
Started to feel worried that I am going to ruin my 3,5 mm audio out on my new laptop by accidentally bumping my hand into the male connector from time to time.
So I just bought the BTR5 from https://www.fiio.eu/

Do any of you guys know if that site is legit? Are there any better deals to be had for a person living in the northern "communist" parts of Europe?

Received my unit. My initial reaction is that the range is not great compared to cheap BT-earbuds from Anker or the Sony MDR-1000X. I live in a house with two floors. The BTR5 is paired to my Laptop which is placed on the second floor. The transmission of sound gets interrupted when I am in my kitchen on the first floor. I have not experienced this problem with the earbuds from Anker or the headphone from Sony.

Any pro tips to extend the range of the BTR5?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,332 of 3,645

You might want to look into what BT codec BTR5 is using when connected to your laptop. The better the BT codec, the less range it has.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,333 of 3,645

TIA!
I’d check out Zynsonix dude. Bryan from there made me a balanced cable to go from my Audeze LCD-2’s to my HiBy R6 Pro. It’s beautiful and the sound is amazing. They could prob make you what you want

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,334 of 3,645
Even if it only happens on low gain? Is it possible the low gain is run through different circuitry that is faulty?
Have you tried any other headphones yet? Do you still have your BTR5?

I was also running the BTR5 at low gain on my IEM's (2.5mm and 3.5mm) and high gain on the over the ear headphones (3.5mm).

Sorry it took so long to respond, it's been weird here lately - did I say that already? :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,335 of 3,645
Received my unit. My initial reaction is that the range is not great compared to cheap BT-earbuds from Anker or the Sony MDR-1000X. I live in a house with two floors. The BTR5 is paired to my Laptop which is placed on the second floor. The transmission of sound gets interrupted when I am in my kitchen on the first floor. I have not experienced this problem with the earbuds from Anker or the headphone from Sony.

Connected to my surface pro, the range of the BTR5 is even worst on aptx compared to connection with my V30 on Ldac.
When a second device is connected to my surface, my logitech MX Master for example, the music starts to interrupt from time to time.

Seems that the bluetooth device in my surface pro is the weak point here.
Never encountered such flaws with the BTR5 connected to my V30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back