[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,277 of 3,676
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #1,278 of 3,676
BTR3K-对比表-EN.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 31, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,279 of 3,676
I just received by BTR5 and noticed when paired with my EE Valks that it clips at relatively low volume on low gain.... This is while streaming apple music over BT. I noticed my Es100 does not do this so I am trying to diagnose the issue. Any ideas?

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,280 of 3,676
I just received by BTR5 and noticed when paired with my EE Valks that it clips at relatively low volume on low gain.... This is while streaming apple music over BT. I noticed my Es100 does not do this so I am trying to diagnose the issue. Any ideas?

What's an 'EE Valks'?

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,282 of 3,676
Empire Ears Valkyrie

Clipping is usually the term used to describe a particular analog output gain exceeding the hardware max voltage output, causing the signal to 'clip off' at the very top and bottom of the signal, thus know as 'clipping'.. Since we are talking about an IEM here with BTR5 on low volume / low gain, this is probably not clipping. Clipping happens on very high volume, but FiiO usually designs their gear so they won't clip (*gain < max voltage)

Anyway, can you describe in more detail about what happens?

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,283 of 3,676
Clipping is usually the term used to describe a particular analog output gain exceeding the hardware max voltage output, causing the signal to 'clip off' at the very top and bottom of the signal, thus know as 'clipping'.. Since we are talking about an IEM here with BTR5 on low volume / low gain, this is probably not clipping. Clipping happens on very high volume, but FiiO usually designs their gear so they won't clip (*gain < max voltage)

Anyway, can you describe in more detail about what happens?
Thanks for that. On low gain at about 35 volume the bass sounds like a blown speaker. It sputters and the sound quality goes to garbage. No other DAC/AMP or DAP does this.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,284 of 3,676
Maybe the Btr5 doesn't handle this extremly low impedance ciems ( 3 ohm ) very well.
Too much current needed?
Sadly i'm not able to reproduce your behavoir bc i don't have such low imp earphones.

Is this happen with usb connection to the Btr5 too?
Is it on SE or balanced?

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,285 of 3,676
Maybe the Btr5 doesn't handle this extremly low impedance ciems ( 3 ohm ) very well.
Too much current needed?
Sadly i'm not able to reproduce your behavoir bc i don't have such low imp earphones.

Is this happen with usb connection to the Btr5 too?
Is it on SE or balanced?
It maybe due to the low impedance. I’ve just never experienced anything like it before. I’ve only been able to test on SE 3.5mm port of BTR5. I don’t have a balanced CIEM termination for the Valkyries.

Apr 1, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,286 of 3,676
Thanks for that. On low gain at about 35 volume the bass sounds like a blown speaker. It sputters and the sound quality goes to garbage. No other DAC/AMP or DAP does this.
It maybe due to the low impedance. I’ve just never experienced anything like it before. I’ve only been able to test on SE 3.5mm port of BTR5. I don’t have a balanced CIEM termination for the Valkyries.
You might have a bad BTR5. I'm running in that volume range on 3.5mm for over the ear headphones, Blon BL-03, NICEHCK DB3, and none of them have any audio anomalies at high volume. On 2.5mm the volume range is much lower as the output is much higher, but I run the KZ ZSX, ZSN at high volume without distortion. I'd try other headphones and IEM's and see if the same problem occurs.

If you aren't happy I'd return the BTR5 for another one before your return period expires, or RMA if it's past the return date.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,287 of 3,676
You might have a bad BTR5. I'm running in that volume range on 3.5mm for over the ear headphones, Blon BL-03, NICEHCK DB3, and none of them have any audio anomalies at high volume. On 2.5mm the volume range is much lower as the output is much higher, but I run the KZ ZSX, ZSN at high volume without distortion. I'd try other headphones and IEM's and see if the same problem occurs.

If you aren't happy I'd return the BTR5 for another one before your return period expires, or RMA if it's past the return date.
Even if it only happens on low gain? Is it possible the low gain is run through different circuitry that is faulty?

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,288 of 3,676
Even if it only happens on low gain? Is it possible the low gain is run through different circuitry that is faulty?

Pretty sure the gain setting doesn't work that way. It is probably just software controlled within the DAC chip - which means if it affects low gain, it should show on high gain as well.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #1,289 of 3,676
Just got mine. Love clear everything sounds.
However, when my BTR5 is connected to my Mac bluetooth with Amarra Player, the music/songs speed is slightly faster.
Through USB it's fine and iPhone bluetooth is fine too. Only with Mac with Amarra. Any ideas?

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,290 of 3,676
I've been searching online for the same question. Anybody here have luck with connecting the btr5 to a PS4? I've connected an es100 without issue, but can't seem to get sound to come out of the btr5. I've tried both USB 1 and 2 settings, and neither work. The display shows 44.1khz as if it's connected, but no sound comes out. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back