[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #497 of 3,670
Thanks for the advice.

Test with your own ears. AAC out of an iPhone doing standard AAC BT sounds dead/flat/bland/lifeless compared to LDAC at 600-990kbps. It very much depends on the LDAC adapter/headphones too. Both my BTR5 with SE846's or my Audeze Mobius headphones sound best over LDAC (aptx-hd close).

As for files, don't agree. Spotify Extreme Ogg files can sound just as good as Tidal FLAC. Take the standard vs Hi-Def tests online too (with decent kit, in my case DFC/SE486's). You will be surprised how little difference you will notice (if any).

Even after listening to the same 10s section 10 times when seriously concentrating on what your hearing you marginally tell the difference, it doesn't actually mean that non-HD tracks aren't just as enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #498 of 3,670
Test with your own ears. AAC out of an iPhone doing standard AAC BT sounds dead/flat/bland/lifeless compared to LDAC at 600-990kbps. It very much depends on the LDAC adapter/headphones too. Both my BTR5 with SE846's or my Audeze Mobius headphones sound best over LDAC (aptx-hd close).

As for files, don't agree. Spotify Extreme Ogg files can sound just as good as Tidal FLAC. Take the standard vs Hi-Def tests online too (with decent kit, in my case DFC/SE486's). You will be surprised how little difference you will notice (if any).

Even after listening to the same 10s section 10 times when seriously concentrating on what your hearing you marginally tell the difference, it doesn't actually mean that non-HD tracks aren't just as enjoyable to listen to.
Thank you so much for the advice. Time to open the wallet and test some stuff I reckon. Have a great day.

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #502 of 3,670
Is degradation in volume as well as sound quality significant when applying EQ? Planning to use my DT770s with the device

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #505 of 3,670
Mine is on the way, too.
Should arrive tomorrow, i hope so. :o2smile:

So it was worth it to order, even though it wasn't available. I didn´t know that. The FiiO Site still says: not available.
In the meantime I have chosen the Hiby R3. It can also receive LDAC streams from my Smartphone.
But I mainly use it as a normal player with remote control via hiby link.

Well, FiiO that would have been your money. Not available for so many weeks ....
It is the year 2020!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #506 of 3,670
Single-ended headphone + singled-ended-to-balanced adapter + balanced output = NEVER
Might be true for most of them, including FiiO, but it's not "NEVER", as iFi's "S-balanced" design exists which does support shorting out the negative terminals and connecting single-ended headphones. IIRC.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #507 of 3,670
Might be true for most of them, including FiiO, but it's not "NEVER", as iFi's "S-balanced" design exists which does support shorting out the negative terminals and connecting single-ended headphones. IIRC.

Technically S-balanced is really not a balanced circuit in the sense of a BTL circuit that we typically associate with balanced audio used for headphone or loudspeaker. A true balanced circuit has an non-inverted (normal) amp stage as well as a invented amp stage (thus they kind of 'balance' each other out), where an S-balanced used a buffer stage to sink the ground channel and doesn't have a inverted signal. The idea is that the buffer stage will give similar sinking effect as an invented signal, but technically there is no inverted signal and thus the invented (=ground) left and right channel of a balanced headphone can be shorted together as neither channels have any active signal of its own. The idea is of an actively sinking ground channel on its own is not a completely new idea as Meier Audio does something similar in concept with their active balanced ground circuit (though not by a sinking ground buffer but by an inverted active ground sum).

I think for simplicity reason in discussion, balanced output = non-inverted amp stage + inverted amp stage, which is not what S-balanced is

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #509 of 3,670
So it was worth it to order, even though it wasn't available. I didn´t know that. The FiiO Site still says: not available.
In the meantime I have chosen the Hiby R3. It can also receive LDAC streams from my Smartphone.
But I mainly use it as a normal player with remote control via hiby link.

Well, FiiO that would have been your money. Not available for so many weeks ....
It is the year 2020!
Ordered and paid on Jan, 7th at FiiO Germany website, aka. NT Global Distribution.
I've received an e-mail from Deutsche Post about the shipping.
I'm happy, and my PM-3 also. :)

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #510 of 3,670
Good stuff ...eager for you to let us know what you think of it :)

It arrived with 80% charge. The first thing I plugged into it is my FH7, obvious pairing I thought. I won't go into too much detail but I do get breakups when listening from my V30 with LDAC, Aptx HD though seems fine.

My ZX300->BTR5 using LDAC is also perfect when using best quality mode, so I know it can work fine without breaking up.

Looking forward to trying various combinations of gear now with the BTR5, some of which make logical sense some not so much. I'm also looking forward to trying it with my current favourite full size headphone the Aeon Flow closed back.

I used to own the EarStudio ES100 which I sold and was missing having a device like it for those travelling light kind of situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back