[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #481 of 3,679
Yes it's set to 'ON'. Though does it not need to be on in order to charge?

Of course it needs to set to "ON" for charging, otherwise the setting will be useless.

Also, might want to be sure your PC type-C port can output more than 500mA. Some older USB port that are not up to spec might only do 250mA.

How is the line output for ampliffer? The oldest models like btr3 suffers for lack of dynamic and power.

There is no lineout on BTR5 (nor is BTR3).

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #485 of 3,679
I am afraid that the it01s would lack bass.

Well my SE846's have decent bass thump anyway and certainly not dimminished with BTR5 compared to my DFC or Sony A105. If anything there is slightly more kick in the bass.
In a good way.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #486 of 3,679
Hey everyone. Hope you are all well. I have been reading this thread and have watched a few videos about the BTR5 and I am wondering what the cheapest device is that I could get that would take advantage of the apxhd or ldac capabilities when I am already totally submerged in the Apple/iOS pool. All the searches I have done are suggesting android phones but I don’t need another phone etc. Hope that makes sense and thanks for your time and advice.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #487 of 3,679
Hey everyone. Hope you are all well. I have been reading this thread and have watched a few videos about the BTR5 and I am wondering what the cheapest device is that I could get that would take advantage of the apxhd or ldac capabilities when I am already totally submerged in the Apple/iOS pool. All the searches I have done are suggesting android phones but I don’t need another phone etc. Hope that makes sense and thanks for your time and advice.

I have a samsung tablet that I used to try out the ldac world. Now this was with a btr3, but I wasn’t impressed. Not only could I not tell a difference in quality between ldac, aptx, and aac, you can’t use the eq in ldac. I’m deep into the iOS world as well.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #488 of 3,679
I have a samsung tablet that I used to try out the ldac world. Now this was with a btr3, but I wasn’t impressed. Not only could I not tell a difference in quality between ldac, aptx, and aac, you can’t use the eq in ldac. I’m deep into the iOS world as well.
Haha! Thanks for the reply. Maybe I’ll just give it whirl with my phone then. Have a great evening.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #489 of 3,679
Any idea if they are planning on selling it on Amazon Germany or UK? Thinking about giving this a try, but don't know a proper store to buy from in the EU.

EDIT: Turns out, it was already sold on Amazon UK.

Does anyone know how well it drives the Tin AUDIO P1 in balanced output?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #490 of 3,679

Neither LDAC or aptx-HD offer any real world advantages over AAC output from an iOS device for music listening quality in my opinion, so I personally wouldn't bother with a different device

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #491 of 3,679
As far as I know, it is more important to specify what is the quality of your source files. If for example you are sourcing from spotify, even SBC(the default link speed) is enough. But if you are using higher quality formats souch ALAC, then it starts higher rates (aptxhd, ldac) to have meaning. Also it depends on your headphones and your ears training to find the diferences. I cant yet!!!Finaly, iphone and ipod and ipad can connect up to aac, wheareas macbook and imac support higher bitrate connections. BTR5 supports almost all current audio formats except the fairly new aptx adaptive.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #492 of 3,679
Well my SE846's have decent bass thump anyway and certainly not dimminished with BTR5 compared to my DFC or Sony A105. If anything there is slightly more kick in the bass.
In a good way.
I agree. Compared to my DFR, it has a slightly warm signature with a little more bass but retain all the details from DFR. I sold my DFR for the BTR5 and I found myself using LDAC most of the time. The difference between wired and bluetooth is so small that it is hardly noticeable. I'm very satisfied with this purchase.

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #494 of 3,679
As far as I know, it is more important to specify what is the quality of your source files. If for example you are sourcing from spotify, even SBC(the default link speed) is enough. But if you are using higher quality formats souch ALAC, then it starts higher rates (aptxhd, ldac) to have meaning. Also it depends on your headphones and your ears training to find the diferences. I cant yet!!!Finaly, iphone and ipod and ipad can connect up to aac, wheareas macbook and imac support higher bitrate connections. BTR5 supports almost all current audio formats except the fairly new aptx adaptive.
Thanks for the explanation, I may just give it a whirl with the old iPhone then see how I get on.

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #495 of 3,679
Thanks for the advice.
Not necessarily true. This is coming from a person who has an iPhone 7 used solely as a digital transport for audio, because of the bitperfect output. I also use Android phones. With my Audioquest Nighthawk, Campfire Audio Solaris, or Meze 99 Classic, I definitely hear a difference between AAC on iOS, and LDAC, APTX-HD, and in some instances treble presentation with APTX vs AAC. It's the higher frequencies that are the most affected by the different codecs. The treble extension is less in AAC than say LDAC or APTX-HD. AAC doesn't sound bad at all, but I certainly notice the greater Dynamics in presentation on an Android with LDAC. For the record, it's easy to buy a "budget" Android phone, with the ability to expand storage via Micro SD on eBay. For instance, a Samsung j3, which does APTX and LDAC, no APTX-HD, can be purchased used for $60-$70 and a 400gb micro SD card for less than $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back