[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,761 of 3,679
How about the new version, I don't think there's a big difference, only MQA added and newer ESS chip

They couldn't get the original ESS9218 BTR5 chip from ESS anymore and went with the more expensive ESS9219C that has built-in MQA. The specs are otherwise similar.

"The chip shortage has become more and more serious since 2021, the production of BTR5 hasn’t become an exception even if it doesn’t use chips from AKM . The supply of the chip that BTR5 used was promised by ESS Technology before, so we even placed an order for over hundred thousand Yuan. However, due to the limited capacity of production, ESS Technology can only prioritize the production of the chip with higher price, the ESS9219C, instead of the ESS9218 for BTR5."

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,762 of 3,679
How about the new version, I don't think there's a big difference, only MQA added and newer ESS chip
In theory they should have some minor sound differences due to the difference chip.
I don't own it so I can't comment any further.

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,763 of 3,679
I don't need MQA anyway because I don't use Tidal for now:L3000: So I guess it's fine to go with either one, but I'm leaning towards the new one 'cause you never know:relaxed:
Hope it's a small sound difference, not that it's gonna be a night and day for me anyway

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #2,764 of 3,679
BTR5 2021/BTR5 2021 L-C are on the way to our worldwide sales agents!

5041569.jpg

Dear respected customers,

Thank you for your kind patience and constant attention for our BTR5 2021. Delivery of the BTR5 2021 has started from 25th, October. Please kindly check this post for a daily updated list of countries / regions and agents we have sent goods to.

Thailand: Holysai

USA: USA distributor

HongKong: Carve Link Company

Germany: NT Global Distribution GmbH

TaiWan: Taiwan distributor

Australia: Addicted To Audio

France: Son Video

Switzerland: Portacomp AG

Netherlands: Fiio.nl

UK: EA Audio

Canada: Canadian distributor

Mexico: Audiofilia Mexico

Bulgaria: Bestline l.t.d

Romanian distributor: AVstore

Turkey distributor

Poland: Audio Magic

India: Headphone Zone

Ukraine: Avero

Lithuania: UAB Audio guru

Japan: Emilai

Estonia: Mamear AS

Poland: MIP

Finland: Hifitalo.fi

UKraine: TOV “ELTO” , Avero

Turkey: Hes Audio

Norway: Siv. Ing. Njål Hansson AS

Belarus: Magnit Invest

(* The shipping to other regions will also follow soon, and we will keep updating this post)

In order to get prompt pre-sales and after-sales service, we strongly suggest you to buy FiiO products from our authorized sales agents (Where to buy).

By our estimate, it would take 8 to 12 working days for the parcels to reach our agents abroad, which means all of you can try contacting the local sales agents on about 3rd November.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us or directly contact our local agents.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
Lists have been updated!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,765 of 3,679
I want to use this unit for my iphone and dap and my bluetooth headphones only. What are the benefits of having this if I don't use with wired headphones. My understanding is that wireless headphones have their own internal dac and amplifier. I am new to this and just need a better explanation. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,766 of 3,679
I want to use this unit for my iphone and dap and my bluetooth headphones only. What are the benefits of having this if I don't use with wired headphones. My understanding is that wireless headphones have their own internal dac and amplifier. I am new to this and just need a better explanation. Thanks.
You can't use it like that, it is a Bluetooth receiver only that outputs analogue signal for wired headphones.
So it will not connect to your Bluetooth headphones and then as you said the Bluetooth headphones have their own internal DAC.
So the BTR5 is only for wired headphones.

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,767 of 3,679
I just got my BTR5 2021 today.
Sound is ok - in fact the new chispet is the old one with added MQA capabilities - so just an update not upgrade. Same specs. The filters however are downgraded from 6 to only 2 - Fast and Hybrid Fast.
Menu it's a bit weird at first sight - need some time to accomodate.
Works well with my Huawei P30 on both Bluetooth and USB - with UAPP - actually this is the first DAC working ok. Some like Sabaj Da2 had some heavy noise over the music.
The leather cover sold separately for BTR5 works fine also on this - same dimensions.

Downsides...
1 - the cables just suck - especially the USB-A to USB-C one. Does not fit well in the BTR5 - it took me an hour trying to use it as USB DAC on my PC - not seen by the PC.
In the end I've remembered that I have an other cable from my M5 - a lot longer - not so short like tjhe one in the TR5 box - With this it was instantly recognized. The one provided seems to work only to charge it :frowning2:
2 - Possible firmware issues ? From time to time it disconnects, even on cable. Two time I founf it shut down by itself - had to start again. Three times I had to disconect the cable and connect again.

Still in testing for this weekend.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,770 of 3,679
I'm not sure if this is possible with just a phone and a BT unit (specifically I have the BT3 but it should be the same for the BT5, right?), but could it be set up to have a bluetooth connection from a phone to a BT unit, and then AUX into a car, and have the controls be handled from the vehicle steering wheel?

I can control the volume , but that's just adjusting the volume in the car probably, and not the volume from the BT unit itself. It would be nice to be able to seek, skip, and pause and so on from the steering wheel controls but I don't know how to set that up. Is there a feature like that in the Fiio app maybe, or does anyone have a suggestion on how to set this up? Basically to control phone media while connected to the BT with vehicle controls.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,771 of 3,679
Sound is ok - in fact the new chispet is the old one with added MQA capabilities - so just an update not upgrade. Same specs. The filters however are downgraded from 6 to only 2 - Fast and Hybrid Fast.
Works well with my Huawei P30 on both Bluetooth and USB - with UAPP - actually this is the first DAC working ok. Some like Sabaj Da2 had some heavy noise over the music.
The leather cover sold separately for BTR5 works fine also on this - same dimensions.

Downsides...
1 - the cables just suck - especially the USB-A to USB-C one. Does not fit well in the BTR5 - it took me an hour trying to use it as USB DAC on my PC - not seen by the PC.
In the end I've remembered that I have an other cable from my M5 - a lot longer - not so short like tjhe one in the TR5 box - With this it was instantly recognized. The one provided seems to work only to charge it :frowning2:
2 - Possible firmware issues ? From time to time it disconnects, even on cable. Two time I founf it shut down by itself - had to start again. Three times I had to disconect the cable and connect again.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it in low power when it turn off? Or you may check whether other cable work?

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime!

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 14, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #2,772 of 3,679
Hi. Checked on PC with the M5 cable, as the provided USB-A to USB-C works only to charge - no data transfer.
It turns off or lose connection during music playback. So no low power.
Happened after 10 minutes or after an hour. Even in the middle of the song.
Might be the Beta driver ? As I've tested with his cable an saw it doesn't get recognized with 4.47 I've updated the driver. It didn't work however so I've changed the cable but didn't change the driver again.
Using JRiver for playback on PC.
Used it yesterday for Bluetooth playback from my phone and didn't made any problems this time.

And something else - the old M5 had some protective foil in the package from what I understand from other users - this one has none.
Not a big problem as I bought also the leather case, but I'm curious.

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #2,773 of 3,679

Downsides...

I think you have faulty cable, you should try the cable with your phone or something. if it didn't connect, yeah its a dead cable.
You could try to install BTR5/Q5 app from Fiio website, maybe it'll help with your possible firmware issues

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #2,774 of 3,679
Hi. Checked on PC with the M5 cable, as the provided USB-A to USB-C works only to charge - no data transfer.
It turns off or lose connection during music playback. So no low power.
Happened after 10 minutes or after an hour. Even in the middle of the song.
Might be the Beta driver ? As I've tested with his cable an saw it doesn't get recognized with 4.47 I've updated the driver. It didn't work however so I've changed the cable but didn't change the driver again.
Using JRiver for playback on PC.
Used it yesterday for Bluetooth playback from my phone and didn't made any problems this time.

And something else - the old M5 had some protective foil in the package from what I understand from other users - this one has none.
Not a big problem as I bought also the leather case, but I'm curious.
Dear friend,

You may try to check via another usb port as well. Can the cable work fine with other device instead?

Best regards

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #2,775 of 3,679
Clearly the USB-A to USB-C cable provided has no data transfer. Also need some force to push it in the player connector.
Tried in several ports, and on another PC. Also tried with M5.
The USB-C to USB-C cable provided has no issues.

It remains to check in time and on different PC's also different driver to see if the connection/shut down issue persists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back