Fiio amp with Neutron Crossfeed settings
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thekash

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've got a quick question. I tried searching the forum and found a few posts about if people use corssfeed and don't use crossfeed but nothing really about how the settings effect the music. I've tried playing around with the crossfeed in Neutron with my note 3 hooked up to a Fiio E18 amp and using P7 headphones and SE535s. I can notice a little difference but i'm fairly sure the effect i'm hearing is one most others using it aren't. I tried playing around with the Neutron Crossfeed settings and and they seem interesting but no matter what Hx or db i set them to there is a slight dip in overall volume (which is easily correctable) but seems to be a significant loss of treble clarity which is fairly noticeable. 

I'm wondering if anyone who uses Neutron has any 'preferred' crossfeed settings they use? also, since i'm using the Fiio E18 amp as my DAC and AMP, wouldn't the amp have some degree of built-in crossfeed to begin with? i can't seem to find any information on this either. 

thanks for the help

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the same amp and use Neutron too. I only use crossfeed sometimes, it depends on the music and my mood. It does sound like a dip in volume (I haven't measured it). The idea is to simulate listening to loudspeakers where, even though the sound - a finger snap for instance - only comes from the left channel your right ear hears it too but with a very slight delay. Crossfeed attempts to replicate this fact. It's also less fatiguing. It's your call. As for settings well, it comes with three presets, 0, 1, & 2. In the FAQ's I'm sure it says something about zero being the most pronounced effect and three the least. I know, sounds illogical to me too but I'm sure I read that.

Hope that's of some help.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the same amp and use Neutron too. I only use crossfeed sometimes, it depends on the music and my mood. It does sound like a dip in volume (I haven't measured it). The idea is to simulate listening to loudspeakers where, even though the sound - a finger snap for instance - only comes from the left channel your right ear hears it too but with a very slight delay. Crossfeed attempts to replicate this fact. It's also less fatiguing. It's your call. As for settings well, it comes with three presets, 0, 1, & 2. In the FAQ's I'm sure it says something about zero being the most pronounced effect and three the least. I know, sounds illogical to me too but I'm sure I read that.

Hope that's of some help.

this is actually what I meant,

Crosstalk: Greater Than 72 dB @ 1 KHz

some specs for the FIIO E18 amp which seemed to indicate that there is an inherent crosstalk built into DAC and Amp.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea then to double crosstalk in neutron as well, should it be only used when the phone is connected directly to the headphones?

Complete specs at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74085_FiiO-E18-Kunlun.html

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Right, now I understand. Crossfeed and crosstalk are two entirely different things. Crossfeed is a handy feature as I've described above. Crossfeed is an undesirable consequence of aging so much complex electronic components all crammed into a tiny metal box. There's absolutely nothing you can do about Crosstalk. I don't even know why they bother listing it to be honest. All electronics suffer from it to a greater or lesser degree.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
this is actually what I meant,

Crosstalk: Greater Than 72 dB @ 1 KHz

some specs for the FIIO E18 amp which seemed to indicate that there is an inherent crosstalk built into DAC and Amp.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea then to double crosstalk in neutron as well, should it be only used when the phone is connected directly to the headphones?

Complete specs at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74085_FiiO-E18-Kunlun.html

Crossfeed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed
Crosstalk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosstalk

As said, two different things and don't confused them.
Right, now I understand. Crossfeed and crosstalk are two entirely different things. Crossfeed is a handy feature as I've described above. Crossfeed is an undesirable consequence of aging so much complex electronic components all crammed into a tiny metal box. There's absolutely nothing you can do about Crosstalk. I don't even know why they bother listing it to be honest. All electronics suffer from it to a greater or lesser degree.

Because it is like listing HP in car spec - it gives you a glimpse of the overall performance, if you know what you are looking for.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Ahhh my mistake! lol feel like an idiot i was so engrossed in finding out about Crossfeed that i completely forgot there's something called crosstalk. Thanks guys! So the fiio dac/amp itself won't actually introduce crossfeed into the music then right?

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 7
No, the Fiio won't introduce crossfeed. You need software for that and not all players have it. Crossfeed's an argument waiting to happen. Some people hate it and some love it. I use I more often with closed-back cans. No idea why. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back