FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #376 of 431
There is a difference between technical advancement and product marketing. :)
Absolutely, the latter often masquerades as the former.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #377 of 431
Has anyone noticed increased phone interference using the AM3D over the AM3E? I have a q5s Frankensteind to the back of my pixel 4xl and have noticed that the AM3D gives allot of cellular interference while the AM3E does not.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #380 of 431
But if you phone is near you don't hear any interference? it happens on Bluetooth as well.
DSpezzia
I own 2 separate AM3D amps (on a Q5 and a Q5s) and have no such problems as I use my phone to feed Digital 0's and 1's to my Q5/Q5s and with the AM3D the amps are completely silent (black backgrounds) and NO hiss even on sensitive IEM's i've demoed that are notorious for showing hiss
The phone is either right next to or on top of my AMP/DAC combos and NO problems as you mention

the AM3E is not as quiet as the AM3D's I have

Perhaps your AM3D or your attached DAC/DAP has a shielding issue?

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #381 of 431
DSpezzia
I own 2 separate AM3D amps (on a Q5 and a Q5s) and have no such problems as I use my phone to feed Digital 0's and 1's to my Q5/Q5s and with the AM3D the amps are completely silent (black backgrounds) and NO hiss even on sensitive IEM's i've demoed that are notorious for showing hiss
The phone is either right next to or on top of my AMP/DAC combos and NO problems as you mention

the AM3E is not as quiet as the AM3D's I have

Perhaps your AM3D or your attached DAC/DAP has a shielding issue?
Thanks for the response on this. My scenario is reversed, my AM3E has no his and is silent on my FH7 but the AM3D even with the phone not close has a slight hiss. You reckon it's a faulty module? I have tried another q5s to see if that was the culprit but the issue migrated with the amp.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #382 of 431
But if you phone is near you don't hear any interference? it happens on Bluetooth as well.
No, my '16 iphone se if placed directly on the q5 both will heat up. I use an anker powerbank to power my q5 most of the time to keep it running cooler, and I use the q5 to control all functions and iphone is not in physical contact with q5. I use the fiio fa7 or sony mdr 1am2 with the q5

The change in recent technology has me using the newest powerbeats 4 for even more mobile use with only a very limited downgrade in audio quality. Each new year's micro-electronics has me surprised on how much improvement is being achieved. :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #384 of 431
out of stock ?

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #386 of 431
I've finally ordered one of those and looking forward to check it out. Should be arriving today. I've spend 40 minutes yesterday listing to stock Q5s to get used to original sound to better hear the difference between two. I plan to do same, but longer listening session later today when my amp module arrives.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #387 of 431
Maybe Amazon could not arrange the shipment to your country. It is not out of stock still.

Best regards
i checked Aliexpress

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #389 of 431
It took me some time both to evaluate AM3D and my (mixed) feelings about it. The short story is: it is an upgrade over stock module of Fiio Q5s. The longer story is more complex: it is an upgrade, it makes Q5s more fun to listen. Do you need it? It is not night and day difference. Balanced output is better and once you go this road you will not want to go back in this case. Is it worth it? Depends. If you love Q5s it is probably worth it. If you just like your dac you should think twice before getting one. It is very cool due to size and bility to say you have THX amp in your pocket.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #390 of 431
I still like the AM3D, but I agree it isn't night and day at all. Probably still worth it, but diminishing returns for sure. In multiple trial blind listening could I detect a difference from the stock AM3E module? Somehow I doubt it, and meaning using both module's 4.4mm output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back