FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
May 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #362 of 431
It is unfortunate that FiiO has moved on from their amp module system. I know the Q5 & Q5S are quite popular & well-reviewed. I actually still have my X7ii w/AM3D; it provides a very clean sound. I do suggest picking up the AM3D from their aliexpress store while you can.
Thank you for your comments and they are well appreciated.

As micro-electronics continue to make progress, it seems that newer complete products rather than module improvements for current products are now fiio's marketing stratagy. I will wait to see what future products and from other manufacturers will becoming out in the next six months and make further considerations for upgrades at that time.

May 29, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #363 of 431
As I heard, AM3E is a bit more powerful but AM3D more accurate and transparent. I dont know whether more accuracy and transparency in this case also means more pleasurable sound. I hope so. Anyway, if AM3D is better I have no need of a AM3E and would like it to be replaced with AMD3 instead of having to pay for both. If Fiio does not offer such, then at least I hope they may offer a bundle Q5s + AN3D with a lower price than when I buy them separately.
MailinYamato

Back on April 24th of this year in the Q5s Forum, I posted my thoughts about the Q5s vs Q5 using both the AM3D and the AM3E with the IEM's I own
It was by no means an exhaustive comparison vs what I see people like Twister6 or Wyville conduct in these forums, and it is 100% my opinion.
But I've been around audio long enough to know the sound signature I like, so YMMV.

Take a look and see if any of my comments ring true to you.
For some in this forum it will not, others on this forum are also on the Q5s Forum and supported my comments.
I had another post about in the Q5s forum regarding High/Low Gain and the same 2 amps, but Sonic Defender's comments were much more to the point so I did pull that post, but my impressions post in that form is still there, and you can read it at the link below if you'd like/if it helps

And again before anyone other than you says I'm wrong, it is and was 100% IMO, and sound is subjective so I do not expect everyone to agree with my findings or methodology but thought I'd send to you since your question was very close to what I wrote, and why I chose to buy a Q5s with a AM3D, go out and find someone selling a AM3E on Head-Fi, all despite also already owning a Q5 with a AM3D I purchased for it (to clarify I have 2 AM3D amps, a AM3E Amp and a AM3A amp along with both a Q5 and Q5s, and pretty sure the Q5 with the AM3A or AM3E will be going up into the classified section soon)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...uetooth-spdif-line-input.902614/post-15576849

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #364 of 431
MailinYamato

Back on April 24th of this year in the Q5s Forum, I posted my thoughts about the Q5s vs Q5 using both the AM3D and the AM3E with the IEM's I own
It was by no means an exhaustive comparison vs what I see people like Twister6 or Wyville conduct in these forums, and it is 100% my opinion.
But I've been around audio long enough to know the sound signature I like, so YMMV.

For some in this forum it will not, others on this forum are also on the Q5s Forum and supported my comments.
I had another post about in the Q5s forum regarding High/Low Gain and the same 2 amps, but Sonic Defender's comments were much more to the point so I did pull that post, but my impressions post in that form is still there, and you can read it at the link below if you'd like/if it helps

And again before anyone other than you says I'm wrong, it is and was 100% IMO, and sound is subjective so I do not expect everyone to agree with my findings or methodology but thought I'd send to you since your question was very close to what I wrote, and why I chose to buy a Q5s with a AM3D, go out and find someone selling a AM3E on Head-Fi, all despite also already owning a Q5 with a AM3D I purchased for it (to clarify I have 2 AM3D amps, a AM3E Amp and a AM3A amp along with both a Q5 and Q5s, and pretty sure the Q5 with the AM3A or AM3E will be going up into the classified section soon)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...uetooth-spdif-line-input.902614/post-15576849

Hope this helps!
There is no absolute right or wrong and like time itself it is relative; our views are merely an abstract and conjectural.

Like music and literature themselves listening is subjective and no opinion is wrong.

The 1950 Japense film Rashomon directed Akira Kurosawa and based on the writing of Ryūnosuke Akutagawa is an example that absolute truth is beyond certainty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon

May 29, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #365 of 431
MailinYamato

Hope this helps!
Hi, thank you very much for speeding so much of your precious time providing me with exactly what I need to make a successful purchase decision, I am touched. I read through your concise review. It is the most useful and honest review about this unit and its corresponding modules I have read so far. I appreciate that you focused on testing it in wired mode as that makes better sense when validating true sound performance with respect to different modules. btw, as you I am also pretty much an on-the-go frequent flyer audiophile, who always listen in wired mode and wants the best sounding portable USB DAC/AMP possible, which is sufficiently small and doesn't drain my phone. Enlightened with your review, Q5S with AHD3 appears to be the closet to an end game this far. Thanks :thumbsup::slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #366 of 431
thank you for the enlightenment. That Fiios has been releasing new players without the module solution, is yet another strengthening factor to your worries that Fiio has abandoned the module system, which makes investing in AM3D less attractive as a future investment. What a pity! Do you suggest getting X7ii instead of Q5S just for better SQ?

Without having heard the Q5s I can’t speak to which has better SQ, but I have only read good things about the Q5s. Of course there is also the factor of what source you’re using with the Q5S, so it is more versatile than the X7. The main reason I prefer the X7 is for Android. I use my DAPs as media devices for videos as well, not just pure DAP.

May 30, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #367 of 431
Without having heard the Q5s I can’t speak to which has better SQ, but I have only read good things about the Q5s. Of course there is also the factor of what source you’re using with the Q5S, so it is more versatile than the X7. The main reason I prefer the X7 is for Android. I use my DAPs as media devices for videos as well, not just pure DAP.
All the more reason the Q5s is so darn compelling. You can use the very advanced Android builds typical in good smartphones as your source, either with Bluetooth or USB. I know that for myself as I am not an active social media person and I generally use my phone as a camera, music player or phone so I don't find that I get many interruptions on my phone. Regardless, I love both Q5 iterations, but whichever one I use I have to say that I do find the inky blackness and natural clarity that the AM3D provides makes it my module of choice. Still enjoy the AM3E and for a time I was rotating it and the AM3D, but over time I just came to leave the AM3D attached all of the time.

May 30, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #368 of 431
Hi, thank you very much for speeding so much of your precious time providing me with exactly what I need to make a successful purchase decision, I am touched. I read through your concise review. It is the most useful and honest review about this unit and its corresponding modules I have read so far. I appreciate that you focused on testing it in wired mode as that makes better sense when validating true sound performance with respect to different modules. btw, as you I am also pretty much an on-the-go frequent flyer audiophile, who always listen in wired mode and wants the best sounding portable USB DAC/AMP possible, which is sufficiently small and doesn't drain my phone. Enlightened with your review, Q5S with AHD3 appears to be the closet to an end game this far. Thanks :thumbsup::slight_smile:
MailinYamato

Thank you for the kind words above!
I sensed you were at a point I was and that was with me already owning a Q5 with an AM3D amp.
My Q5 has seen numerous crossings of the Pacific to Japan and back, and at least 1 to Europe. I can't even count how many across the US trips. Now the Q5s has taken its place
My Q5s was in the air in 2019 since I purchased it, around 24,000 miles back and forth across the US, so I've had LOTS of time to listen and enjoy
The only thing I would change in my review, I recently changed out the cable on my CIEM (chasing a sound signature I want, and think have finally found) and I've had to return the gain switch from High back to Low as the new cable is much more efficient and using it to "tune" the sound the high gain on both the AM3E and AM3D was a little too fatiguing.
Depending on your IEM's, which cables you pair your headphones to (I just moved to a PlusSound Tri-Silver) my only suggestion is try different settings, and if you are a fan of it, EQ curves (many are not and I think I count myself in that camp).
In any case I do NOT think the combination of the Q5s with the AM3D will disappoint. I was resistant at first since I already owned the Q5, but after doing some head to head testing at a Can Jam meet, I was sold and glad I made the plunge. Now I just need to sell off the Q5 and other amps since they sit idle now.
I've owned a number of AMP/DAC combos, and I just really enjoy the Q5s/AM3D combo than any others I've owned that are truly air travel ready.

My only other advice, you may want to purchase one of the cable from DD Audio for the Q5s
They are just a little more robust than what comes with the Q5s Stock. Not that they are bad, but travel just takes a toll on cables.
Since I use it with either an iPad or iPhone I'm a little more limited in cable choices that those with Android based devices or when I use my PC as the source
the DD Audio cables are a little more robust, have a nice cloth covering for protection and come in different lengths and cable ends. (Apple Lightning, USB-C, Micro USB, etc)
The link below is one I posted cautioning those using Apple Lightning to Micro USB cables.
If you an Apple user, it may help.
Just trying to help a fellow Audio enthusiast from having to make the trial and error mistakes I've made.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mfi-lightning-to-micro-usb-cable.853496/post-15599834

Thanks again for the kind words, and good luck with your journey through your audio choices!

May 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #369 of 431
The release date for fiio am3d was March 2019 and that people are still not able to order easily as of May 2020 is the problem.

Fiio has manufactured good products, but if not easily available as promoted, it is still a problem for both fiio and at least some of their would be customers. :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #371 of 431
Has anyone listened to the X7 2nd Gen/AM3D vs M11 Pro?
I'm sure someone has, but likely very few people. Should sound pretty much the same if level matched I would think.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #372 of 431
Surely the M11 Pro has a better DAC and other tech compared to the X7ii after three years of R&D, so the fact they would have broadly the same amp with the AM3D wouldn't make up for that, would it?

I'd be happy if it did, as I could get an AM3D and sell my Pro and have lots of money left over for beer and crisps. I only use my DAPs for music in file browsing mode, so the extra zippiness of the Pro isn't really utilized.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #373 of 431
The X7II with AM3D is just a wonderfull combination, all I use it for is playing music with Neutron and the sound quality is just great. I personally don't care if another device is faster, the X7II does handle everything it supposed to do.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #374 of 431
Surely the M11 Pro has a better DAC and other tech compared to the X7ii after three years of R&D, so the fact they would have broadly the same amp with the AM3D wouldn't make up for that, would it?

I'd be happy if it did, as I could get an AM3D and sell my Pro and have lots of money left over for beer and crisps. I only use my DAPs for music in file browsing mode, so the extra zippiness of the Pro isn't really utilized.
Once you reach the level of audible transparency it doesn't matter and we arrived there with DACs and amps (properly designed ones) several years ago. It is possible that in the output stage between the two devices there is an audible signature difference, but that in itself has nothing to do with technology and more to do with the engineering decisions made. I would bet that in blind listening, level matched tests the two would be extremely difficult to tell apart.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #375 of 431
Once you reach the level of audible transparency it doesn't matter and we arrived there with DACs and amps (properly designed ones) several years ago. It is possible that in the output stage between the two devices there is an audible signature difference, but that in itself has nothing to do with technology and more to do with the engineering decisions made. I would bet that in blind listening, level matched tests the two would be extremely difficult to tell apart.
There is a difference between technical advancement and product marketing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back