FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Translation Contest--Edit 2015-10-23: FiiO X7 awarded to Brandan Lynch
Oct 22, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #409 of 428
Rule Breakers Rule!
cool.gif

Hell, there are no rules here, we are trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

This is almost like either following the letter of the law or the spirit of the law. Sometimes the letter of the law doesn't literally cover what needs to be covered and sometimes the letter of the law is outdated.

There were certainly some posts that weren't trying to be anywhere near the contest parameters, but there were a lot of posts in the spirit but not entirely in the letter of the parameters.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #411 of 428
I'm not a fan of either of FiiO's slogans. You guys may be an ad agency's nightmare.

Do you mean our previous slogans, "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" and "Music, Endless Fun!", or the two new slogans we considered this time around?

I wonder if we can mix this up a bit, e.g. have people each suggest one slogan, but it must be
1. a slogan already suggested before
2. not your own suggestion

To help narrow down the choices to something popular?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 22, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #412 of 428
Do you mean our previous slogans, "Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO" and "Music, Endless Fun!", or the two new slogans we considered this time around?

I wonder if we can mix this up a bit, e.g. have people each suggest one slogan, but it must be
1. a slogan already suggested before
2. not your own suggestion

To help narrow down the choices to something popular?

I actually thought Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO is better than Everblastin' Quality or Music, Endless Fun. I wondered why you changed it.

Everblasting as a unit in a slogan is fine, though I'd echo that it represents a very narrow corridor of music's labyrinthine paths. Everblastin' is terrible. Shortening something that is meant to connect to the eternal shows an ironic misunderstanding of the nuance of the portmanteau.

Quality is a neutral word that takes on the meaning of whatever precedes it, but by itself has a positive connotation.

"Everblasting fun" is a better, but still limited slogan.

I think polling this group may be productive, but not everyone in this thread has good command of the nuances of the English language. Formal focus groups may be better, but would definitely be more expensive.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #413 of 428

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #414 of 428
Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

I completely agree with glassmonkey. The everblasting slogan is very restricted in appeal to a certain demographic. As I've mentioned in my previous posts, the new slogan should be positive and inclusive of all types of music. Also, rather than targeting audiophiles, it should target the average consumer, and that way extend your market reach. Therefore, focusing on promoting FiiO's sound quality may be a better strategy than trying to please a group which prefers a single music genre.

As I understand it, the current slogan in Chinese is a play on words, or rather a play on grammar. It would be extremely difficult to have a slogan which translates to English and retains its meaning from Chinese or any other language. I think it’s more realistic for the company to aim for two different slogans – one in English and one in Chinese.

I did have a few suggestions in my earlier posts that would satisfy the requirements of being positive and emphasising quality, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #415 of 428
My read.

The issue with the competition is that Fiio never identified the actual core message for the slogan.  At most it should be one or two.  They are the things that MUST be in the slogan.  Shadow's first post listed 6 I could see:

1. Music is meant to be enjoyed, while high quality music can bring even more joy.  Thus we hope to bring joy to customers using our music devices.
2. Even quality music brings no joy if it’s hidden behind a frustrating interface. Through extended research in hardware and software user interface design, we strive to make our product more convenient and intuitive to use to play the music you want.
3. We have a large product line with rich customization options for each-these bring “endless” sonic possibilities to match different headphones and different listening tastes, and also cater to the tinkering spirit of the audiophile, giving them fun toying with audio equipment without breaking the bank.
4. Finally, we aim for a pleasurable after-sales experience, with continual high-quality software support, so that users get the most “fun” out of our products throughout their service life.

From this - your core messages boil down to:
Music, joy, quality, simplicity, diversity (product options), service

Take out quality and service - they are "givens" - you don't need to state them in a slogan.  I'd also leave out the diversity of product lines.

This leaves you with Music, Joy, Simplicity

If you look at the major brands - they all list a core message, they make it really short, and it says who they are, what they are about, and what their philosophy is.  EG
* Nike - just do it
* Adidas - nothing is impossible
* Subway - eat fresh
* Sony - make believe
* McDonalds - I'm loving it
* Nokia - connecting people

The best slogan I saw in the whole thread (and it wasn't mine) was:

FiiO - Simply Music

I think it captures everything you're after.

And I'm REALLY not a fan of everblasting

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #416 of 428
I actually thought Love Music, Love Life, Love FiiO is better than Everblastin' Quality or Music, Endless Fun. I wondered why you changed it.

And I thought Like.No.Other was infinitely better than "Make Believe" for Sony too (although they are coming very close to literal adherence to their new slogan in their marketing direction these days :rolleyes: )

"If you can't fix it, don't break it" may be the new motto to go by (too late :p )

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #418 of 428
Yes, congrats to our new M3 winner
wink_face.gif

I believe Paul is correct in the best is short and sweet
bigsmile_face.gif

Still think *FiiO - "Music Matters" conveys the theme for all genre's and to those who love music for the joy it brings them no matter what they listen to
L3000.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #419 of 428
Unlike some other participants, I'm not bitter I did't win, as I posted before, many slogans were just whatever words put together, but I'm just wondering if "Everblasting quality" has a negative meaning, as I understand, and many people would, "everblasting quality" literally means "always (ever) taking down (blasting) - quality", so, it's that really a good thing?, I'm not saying "you are wrong, give the prize to me" or anything, I'm just wondering if the meaning you get from that phrase is the same meaning most people are getting:

EVERBLASTING QUALITY= ALWAYS TAKING DOWN QUALITY
                                                 ever        blasting     quality

But still, congrats to the winner, luckily there was one, and that m3 looks sweet.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #420 of 428
Unlike some other participants, I'm not bitter I did't win, as I posted before, many slogans were just whatever words put together, but I'm just wondering if "Everblasting quality" has a negative meaning, as I understand, and many people would, "everblasting quality" literally means "always (ever) taking down (blasting) - quality", so, it's that really a good thing?, I'm not saying "you are wrong, give the prize to me" or anything, I'm just wondering if the meaning you get from that phrase is the same meaning most people are getting:

EVERBLASTING QUALITY= ALWAYS TAKING DOWN QUALITY
                                                 ever        blasting     quality

But still, congrats to the winner, luckily there was one, and that m3 looks sweet.

Hello Parker75,

We're never gonna live down this one am I? :xf_eek:

In a certain reviewer's view :)rolleyes:), "everblasting" rhymed with "everlasting", an obvious endorsement of quality. I envisioned it to mean quality that last so that your FiiOs would be blasting your favorite tunes forever. Granted that "blasting tunes" may not be the most HiFi image, but well... :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back