FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Translation Contest--Edit 2015-10-23: FiiO X7 awarded to Brandan Lynch
Oct 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #391 of 428
I also think that we should contribute maybe 2, 3 max slogans next time, once that we submit something is because we truly believe is a great line and can actually win, if we throw 50, 60 or even more, is because we don't think our previous 59 or whatever were good enough, with just a couple limit, is forces us to really think, instead of just putting whatever words we think, if we go back and read the slogans, some have nothing to do with the basic words we were supposed to translate, some are not even related to music in any way (like weather, rain, the planet), I'm not saying that mine are better, may be the worst, but we were told "translate this few words in a cool way" and we just put together any words we tought at the moment, then more, and then even invented words..., hopefully someone among us will win, but if we don't we should take it like big guys and the next time quality over quantity should prevail.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #392 of 428
  I also think that we should contribute maybe 2, 3 max slogans next time, once that we submit something is because we truly believe is a great line and can actually win, if we throw 50, 60 or even more, is because we don't think our previous 59 or whatever were good enough, with just a couple limit, is forces us to really think, instead of just putting whatever words we think, if we go back and read the slogans, some have nothing to do with the basic words we were supposed to translate, some are not even related to music in any way (like weather, rain, the planet), I'm not saying that mine are better, may be the worst, but we were told "translate this few words in a cool way" and we just put together any words we tought at the moment, then more, and then even invented words..., hopefully someone among us will win, but if we don't we should take it like big guys and the next time quality over quantity should prevail.

Parker, thanks , we did appreciate all of our users'supports , fortunately , we have received almost 2000pcs slogans, and we did read it one by one with our whole team yesterday,  we understand that it is not easy for our fans to help us create the slogans. one more again , we will try our best to find out the one is suitable for us. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #393 of 428
Hallelujah!!!

No offense, but if you run a similar contest again I'd suggest setting a limit on the number of slogans any individual can submit. People went absolutely bat-Schiit crazy!

nmatheis,  we are going to run a new activity named "FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Design Contest",and warmly welcome to join us again.

We will give out our final SLOGAN and LOGO , and all the users can join us to design it to get the prize as well.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #395 of 428
You should set a limit to the logo contest this time IMO, otherwise you'll get sooo many images of the sun, rain, planets, trains, cats, triangles, circles and whatever we see around without even thinking about it, if you allow maybe 1 or 2 per user, we'll be forced to really think about it instead of just throwing images around, and also maybe specify to make the logo audio related?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #397 of 428
Personally, I think that if people are willing to take the time and creative energy to put forward multiple designs, slogans or suggestions for product enhancements and new features, then I think that says a lot about the company and its users.

The company respects it's users and the users like to have their voices heard and at least considered. Sure, it may take serious time to sift through all of the ideas, but considering that there could be some great ideas buried in there, it is worth the time to consider the ideas. And cost effective too. Some companies spend a pile of money to engage marketing companies and conduct focus groups, etc.

I think the exercise helps to build customer engagement and the company gets a lot of free ideas... sounds good to me. :)

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #398 of 428
I do agree with the part were you say about take it serious and creative energy, but when some of us post 20 slogans, then another 20 and the same next day, that's not taking it seriously, that's just putting words together, like I don't believe a marketing company (which I know we are not) will throw 80 slogans to a customer, like "fiio, mermaids in the rain in space", "fiio, fiiontasctifabulous" or whatever, and wait for the check, hopefully we won't scare companies away with this one, and let's start drawing the logo since right now, so when the new contest is here, instead of sending hundreds of stars, puppies, unicorns and weather, we will have a winner just waiting to be posted.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #399 of 428
  You should set a limit to the logo contest this time IMO, otherwise you'll get sooo many images of the sun, rain, planets, trains, cats, triangles, circles and whatever we see around without even thinking about it, if you allow maybe 1 or 2 per user, we'll be forced to really think about it instead of just throwing images around, and also maybe specify to make the logo audio related?

Parker75, thanks for your kind suggestion , yep , you are right .we should set a limit to the event before. so many slogans we have now, but there are not so many slogans are related to "Music , endless fun"

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #400 of 428

I disagree with this. Each person writing a slogan cannot possibly know what FiiO's preferences will be. We don't have the time, nor are we being paid enough to do research on what our client is looking for. Also, any translator will tell you that translation is creative; what you make will not be an exact copy of the original, it will be an interpretation. There would be no point to this exercise if we were planning to go completely literal, and no reason for FiiO to reward us.

If FiiO decides that they want to go with the most literal translation instead of the best slogan, they are making a big mistake, and sticking to a slogan that says next to nothing about them as a company or what they do for their customer's experience of music. Ultimately it is up to FiiO, and I look forward to their decision tomorrow, if it can be made. I hope that there hasn't been a filter that eliminates anything that doesn't directly link with "Music, endless fun." It would be a mistake, even with labour savings from doing this sort of crass elimination.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #401 of 428
But dude, come on, the very basic idea of the contest was "take this 3 words and turn them around until it sounds cool", only that rule, if the rule was "make a slogan for whatever you guys want", nice, our slogans nailed it, slogans about time, weather, cosmic stuff? come and get them, we have them all, but really, we went overboard with this one, so many slogans and only a couple with the words fun or music on them, or even related to those words? I want to win as much as anyone else here, but if I had sent something like "fiio, happy summer sky in the rain of bliss" or something like that, I won't be waiting for the ups guy with my x7 anytime soon, that is just my opinion, which can be expressed now that the contest is over, let's keep our fingers crossed, but only if we truly think we deserve it, if I just threw words away, I know I won't win, and congrats if the one that wins understood the rule and went with just a couple of slogans related to fiio and music, because that was the contest, that was the rule and we should respect that because we knew it from the very beginning.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #402 of 428
I have an idea

For me at least, collect all of your own slogans and put them in a big spoiler (so it doesn't bother anyone) with little explanations next to them when you open spoilers, sorting them by relevance and stuff.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #403 of 428
Rule Breakers Rule! :cool:

Hell, there are no rules here, we are trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #405 of 428
To all who participated in the FiiO slogan translation competition:

Today is when we announce the winner of the competition :xf_eek:

Firstly, a recap of the translation task:
The Chinese slogan is “音乐,乐无限”, where 音乐 stands for music, 乐 (same as the last character of “音乐”) stands for fun, and “无限” stands for “unlimited / endless / infinite”.
The slogan gives out the meaning of “Music, Endless Fun” in 5 syllables, in a way where “Fun” and “Music” rhymes together; the slogan is also supposed to convey the following meanings:
1. Music is meant to be enjoyed, while high quality music can bring even more joy. Thus we hope to bring joy to customers using our music devices.
2. Even quality music brings no joy if it’s hidden behind a frustrating interface. Through extended research in hardware and software user interface design, we strive to make our product more convenient and intuitive to use to play the music you want.
3. We have a large product line with rich customization options for each—these bring “endless” sonic possibilities to match different headphones and different listening tastes, and also cater to the tinkering spirit of the audiophile, giving them fun toying with audio equipment without breaking the bank.
4. Finally, we aim for a pleasurable after-sales experience, with continual high-quality software support, so that users get the most “fun” out of our products throughout their service life.

From the outset we knew that translation of the slogan would be an uphill battle. Ideally we want it to be short and catchy, while conveying all the meaning of the Chinese slogan. “Music, Endless Fun” fulfils the “short” part (being 5 syllables, just like the Chinese slogan), but fell short on the other counts.

By the end of the competition, we had received close to 2000 slogan translation suggestions. Sifting through the mountain of submissions promised to be a Herculean task. And yet, early in the review process, one slogan especially caught a reviewer’s eye:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782106/fiio-s-2015-slogan-translation-contest/15#post_11943937

And as other reviewers continued sifting through the mountain of submissions, he came back again and again to this submission, until he was utterly convinced that it was the best slogan anybody can come up with. His rationale was as follows (distilled from the contestant’s dictionary snippets):

“Everblasting”: “Ever” stands for “forever”, which is “unlimited” in the sense of time. “Blast” (as in “having a blast”) stands for having fun. “Blasting” is most often written as part of “blasting music”, which is the way a powerful amplifier (as FiiO is known for) makes your music sound. There we go—“Music”, “Endless” “Fun”, with the meaning of “amplification” added in to boot! In only 4 syllables! It’s even a semi-neologism with only 3750 google hits that FiiO can surely claim top ranking for in no time!
He even added his own embellishment to the slogan to produce his own submission:

But FiiO is a company of many people, each with their own ideas. The choice of any slogan was a very controversial one. Though the one reviewer considered this submission to be completely brilliant, it was not without its drawbacks. The meaning behind the slogan was not immediately obvious. The connation of the word “blast” is not universally positive. In the end, the review team decided to award Brendan Lynch (who submitted this slogan) for this competition, but we decided against adopting any slogan from the competition as the company slogan. So we still haven't decided on our new slogan :frowning2:

It was written in the rules that “The person who first proposes the slogan (on facebook OR head-fi) that is finally chosen by our company (if any) will be awarded an X7”. I.e. if no slogan is chosen, no prize would be given. However, given the overwhelming enthusiasm of the participants and the sheer amount of submissions we received, it seems more like our fault than the participants’ that we couldn’t choose our new company logo from the lot of them. Thus we decided to award a consolation prize of a new M3 to our “winner” :)

Best regards,
The FiiO team

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back