Fighting Games thread
Sep 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 69
I'm blown away by the level of details on the artwork. This is going to be badass! Terrible music.

This is how Street fighter should look, with 2d graphics. Actually, looking at it closely, it looks like it's 2d rendered 3d. It's rendered much more 2d like than Street fighter.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 69
I'm blown away by the level of details on the artwork. This is going to be badass! Terrible music.

This is how Street fighter should look, with 2d graphics. Actually, looking at it closely, it looks like it's 2d rendered 3d. It's rendered much more 2d like than Street fighter.

Very late to this thread, but it was fun to look through. You are not a fan of "Smell of the Game" with its very meme filled lined "bull blazing?" Well, it is a strange song, so I do not blame you. I like it, but one of my favorite songs from Xrd was equally ridiculous "Safe Intoxication".

I was in the closed beta test for Guilty Gear Strive last weekend. It was definitely a beta, so connection issues and lobby issues were excusable. As for gameplay, it definitely felt like a deviation for Xrd. I found I did have some fun with Faust and will probably pick the game up when it comes out. I doubt I will abandon Xrd, even though the netcode sucks and I do not really have a local Guilty Gear scene.

I have started to get into Skullgirls and Melty Blood. Skullgirls' tutorial is quite good for one still relatively new to fighting games like me, though now I have the daunting task of figuring out who I want to play.

Melty Blood felt a bit more basic initially compared to Skullgirls or Xrd but I am starting to appreciate its mechanics and style. Still have no real grasp on the moon system (though I have looked it up, I will need to look it up again). And look up the wiki for some information and tips.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #18 of 69
My typical strategy is to mindlessly spam buttons in hopes I discover a command. Once I do, I spam the command but not consecutively. I throw in other moves to try to make it look like I'm doing other things until the right moment to execute something I deem an effective favorite. With that being said. I totally suck at fighting games. However. There will always be a special place in my heart for killer instinct and soul caliber.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 69
I am starting to learn the benefits of training mode and how best to use it. Still not fully utilizing it. For Guilty Gear Rev 2, I follow a streamer who opens lobbies three days a week and have been learning by playing others.. Learning what buttons are safe when, when I can try to sneak in an unsafe button, how to better block. That being said, I do need to face more players to learn more. I am definitely not good. Last week Tuesday I went 2-31 but it was fun.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 69
Very late to this thread, but it was fun to look through. You are not a fan of "Smell of the Game" with its very meme filled lined "bull blazing?" Well, it is a strange song, so I do not blame you. I like it, but one of my favorite songs from Xrd was equally ridiculous "Safe Intoxication".

I was in the closed beta test for Guilty Gear Strive last weekend. It was definitely a beta, so connection issues and lobby issues were excusable. As for gameplay, it definitely felt like a deviation for Xrd. I found I did have some fun with Faust and will probably pick the game up when it comes out. I doubt I will abandon Xrd, even though the netcode sucks and I do not really have a local Guilty Gear scene.

I have started to get into Skullgirls and Melty Blood. Skullgirls' tutorial is quite good for one still relatively new to fighting games like me, though now I have the daunting task of figuring out who I want to play.

Melty Blood felt a bit more basic initially compared to Skullgirls or Xrd but I am starting to appreciate its mechanics and style. Still have no real grasp on the moon system (though I have looked it up, I will need to look it up again). And look up the wiki for some information and tips.
To be honest, I'm most impressed with the animations done on Guilty Gear games. I'm not into fighting games for the gameplay nor am I good at them. I just find the the visual presentations with the moves really interesting to see. I like the animation styles of certain games, particularly the Capcom Sprite games with the character animations.

Some of my favorite animations on games are from Marvel Vs Capcom, Super Street fighter 2, Street fighter Alpha, Street Fighter 3, King of the Fighters, Garou:Mark of the Wolves, Samurai Shodown. I like the style of hand drawn 2D animations, not the modern 3D stuff. This is why I like the visual style of Guilty Gear.

My typical strategy is to mindlessly spam buttons in hopes I discover a command. Once I do, I spam the command but not consecutively. I throw in other moves to try to make it look like I'm doing other things until the right moment to execute something I deem an effective favorite. With that being said. I totally suck at fighting games. However. There will always be a special place in my heart for killer instinct and soul caliber.
Namco fighters, Tekken and Soul Calibur, are like that. It's easy to get a feel of the button sequencies from just random buttom mashing. I suck at them too, but the controls are more intuitive. I'm amazed at some people that can time the moves quickly. I recall when I first saw Street Fighter 2. I saw it at a skating rink, and there was a line of people taking on this little kid that was beating each one of them, one after another. I figured some people are just more capable of fightening games.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 69
If you like 2D hand drawn animation style, you might like Skullgirls' style. It is all hand animate. Diverse cast, fun moves, and visually it is impressive to watch. Hard to play though because like the Marvel vs Capcom games, the main goal of a player is to make it a one player game.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 69
If you like 2D hand drawn animation style, you might like Skullgirls' style. It is all hand animate. Diverse cast, fun moves, and visually it is impressive to watch. Hard to play though because like the Marvel vs Capcom games, the main goal of a player is to make it a one player game.

Interesting. Looks like a lot of effort went into the animation, but I can immedately tell it's non-Japanese creation. The aesthetic mimics Japanese anime style, but it doesn't seem to thave good techical characterizations of Japanese animation visuals.

When it comes to American Production, I always found Joe Madreira's artwork to be superb. He mimicks Japanse cartoon visual style as well, but his is highly technical and polished, and most importantly, developed his own style.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 69
Interesting. Looks like a lot of effort went into the animation, but I can immedately tell it's non-Japanese creation. The aesthetic mimics Japanese anime style, but it doesn't seem to thave good techical characterizations of Japanese animation visuals.

When it comes to American Production, I always found Joe Madreira's artwork to be superb. He mimicks Japanse cartoon visual style as well, but his is highly technical and polished, and most importantly, developed his own style.

Ah, I had not pieced together from your previous post that it was specifically Japanese animation styles. If I had, I would not have suggested Skullgirls because that is definitely a US made game, and its influences are more 1920s US cartoons and noir.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 69
Ah, I had not pieced together from your previous post that it was specifically Japanese animation styles. If I had, I would not have suggested Skullgirls because that is definitely a US made game, and its influences are more 1920s US cartoons and noir.
I see.

Here's another recent one released by Arc system works called Granblue Fantasy Versus. It has really nicely painted back-drops. Not a fan of the design or animation however.

I like Capcom artwork a lot. One of my favorite artist would be Bengus that did the design for Street Fighter Alpha characters.

https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Bengus

SFZ2-Art.png

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #25 of 69
This must be the guy that designed Street Fighter 2 characters. It's interesting to see how his artwork style evolves over time. His skills are very plastic. I've seen artists that are stuck in their younger days styles, and cannot evolve.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #29 of 69
Out in June this year. Can't wait!
Was supposed to be April, but I am glad they are taking the two extra month to polish a few things. The gameplay looks impressive, but the lobbies were a little less than stellar to put it mildly. I was not able to play too much of the Open Beta last month, but I look forward to the lobby being better.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #30 of 69
I don't know where this belongs, but TMNT like the TV shows? Interesting. I think this is an arcade fights like the original arcade 4 player fighter. I don't know why they did the music remix, as it sounds worse than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back