Fighting Games thread
May 29, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #31 of 69
The newest Samurai Shodown looks very good visually. I always found Samurai Shodown characters to be the coolest designed fighter characters. Hanzo is probably the coolest looking ninja.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #33 of 69
Got attracted by these characters the first time I saw the game. That was 1995 in an arcade room, with Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood.
Personally, I think the characters are better designed than street fighter. The style put into the characteristics is very creative.

I think 3 times I've been impressed at the arcades. When I first saw street fighter 2, and then Samurai Shodown, and then lastly, Marvel Super Heroes.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #34 of 69
Street Fighter Alpha Ken. The best Ken.
Was about to color it but I think it's good enough 😀
2yby5.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #36 of 69
On a lark, I decided to figure out how to install Dong Dong Never Die and get it running (this is actually a process as there is a bit of finessing necessary to get it to run properly). It is ridiculous and full of referencing, many of which I am probably missing.

It was a project by fighting game fans in China, and the character art for most of the characters is done in the old Mortal Kombat method of taking pictures of actors dressed as the characters and using that for the in game frames. This will never get an official release as there are way too many things borrowed from other franchises. (There is a Ryu clone who yells 'hadouken' when doing a fireball, there is a woman who calls in Optimus Prime as an assist during a super, and Mario is a character).

Yesterday I finally sat down to play a bit more of it, and I can say the mechanics are delightfully broken. Any hit causes meter gain, so if you use a super that has multiple hits, you can regain a decent chunk of meter. Additionally, some supers can be cancelled into themselves. For example, Ming Zi (sometimes translated as Ming Boy) has a super where he throws a giant paper airplane that hit multiple times. This can be cancelled into itself to allow for two planes to be on the screen at once. Ming Zi also has a super that heals him for at least 50% of this health. (To be a meme, I will say he needs it. He does not have much health to begin with so it is useful. Also, its long start up and long recovery makes it easy to stuff or punish respectively).

Given how broken and inbalanced it is, I would never consider this to be a competitive game, but a fun game to just sit with friends and laugh at how over the top everything is.

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #40 of 69
I remembered Mortal Kombat and cried. By the way, have any of you played a game like Ghostrunner? I tried to play it. I liked it very much. Seems to me it even fits the Fighting Games theme. What do you think? Because I just bought it at a discount this shop. Because there was a discount on the theme and I got it. And just now started playing it. But I really like it. The game has a great soundtrack, you have to give Daniel Deluxe a lot of credit for that. Nice enough, clear and beautiful gameplay. Char is quite well felt, which is very important for a "one mistake and you're wrong" style game.

Attachments

• header_400 (1).jpg
    header_400 (1).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #41 of 69
I heard good things about it, but I'm not so much into first person view action unless it's something like 'Call of Duty.'

a JRPG that's like a fighting game would be the recently released 'Tales of Arise.' There's a lot of insane and cool looking combos.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #42 of 69
I liked Samurai Shodown a lot.
Against the background of modern fighting games Samurai Shodown may seem a little old-fashioned, but that's the beauty of it. The colorful characters in hanfu are fascinating. When I played it, I really wanted to have such an outfit. And I was able to get it in this site. Now I look forward to when I can put it on

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #43 of 69
It would be cool is Arc System works that's behind Guilty Gear works on it. It would look so badass!

This is what they are capable of! This kind of style of Japanese aesthetics really died off since the 90's , and then waifu art still arrive. Why?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #44 of 69
If the topic is fighting games, for me there is no better game in the world than Tekken. I played it on my first Sony Playstation. Iakere characters, costumes and punches. Each character has his own special style. I really liked Kazumi, she's a very strong character and has cool punches. Once when I was in China, I saw a very similar girl in exactly the same hanfu, she must have taken it here. Now I'm getting nostalgic . Maybe I should play this game again.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 69
Tekken is fun though I have not put much time into it. I liked Kunimitsu when I last played. I should also try it again at some point.

My recent exploration has been Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. With less than an hour of playing, the AI crushes me still, but that is ok. Not knowing what characters do an how to block them is a big issue for me so far. Also, I am not greatest at tag in games, but it is always fun to try. Mechanically, it falls into the 'simple but has depth' category. There are no fancy command inputs (fancy being anything more than pressing a single direction when you press a button). There are two nice defensive options for getting out of pressure, however they do not work if you are already in hit stun (at least from what I can tell).

I bought just the base game so roster is somewhat limited, but I am not yet ready to drop the money for all of the DLC characters yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back