Field Monitors for Videographers
Nov 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheAnomoly

New Head-Fier
First off let me say hello to the community, I've been an unregistered member here for a few years (reading posts, comparing information, but never registered to post) and have often come here for recommendations, opinions, tips, and just misc reviews. I realize that someone has a similar post to this from about 4yrs back, and wasn't quite sure how the mods here felt about necro-posting. Technology changes rapidly and much has changed in the past 3 years.

More to the point, I work as a videographer, a assistant producer, and a late-night DJ, so you almost always find me with a pair of monitors on. I was trying to see what suggestions members may have for an all-around set of monitors for video/radio work.

I've used daily several different Shure, Senn, and Sony models as those seems to be quite popular in my industry. Ideally, I'm looking for a set of over-the-ear, closed back, monitors that work well with large ears. I'd love to have a removable cable, and would prefer to not have exposed wires on the cups (some senn's do that, it doesn't seem durable). Most of the time, I'm listening for 2 things, vocal reproduction, and wind noise (more specifically, an absence thereof) so high frequency reproduction is not as critical.

I typically use my phones directly from the cameras headphone out, from the mixer on my editing suite, and from the sound board at the radio station, so a lower impedance would be preferred.

Ideally, I'm seeking a pair under $300, but I'm willing to spend up to $500 for the perfect fit. Hopefully, someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance,
J.D.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 7
I'll recommend you the perfect hps for this job, the GMP 8.35 here is more info about those hps, http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed.

I use the 8.35 in the studio for monitoring mix/editing, and ads a DJ in clubs, or outdoor trance partys. I've change the original pads with the GMP oval pads...http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed/60#post_5904579.

The oval pads will enhance the sibiliance and balanced out the sound that will help you to monitor the wind /noises in the environment Vs the vocals. To be able to monitor directly from the video hps out you'll need a hps with around 35 Ohms.

1. GMP 8.35.
2. AKG K271MKII.
3. Sony MDR 7056.
4. Sennheiser hd 25 SP.
5. Sennheiser hd 280.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 7

Ideally, I'm looking for a set of over-the-ear, closed back, monitors /

I'd love to have a removable cable /

listening for 2 things, vocal reproduction, and wind noise /

Ideally, I'm seeking a pair under $300

Shure SRH-940.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 7
The GMP 8.35 have been a pair I've been looking at for a little while now, as they seem to be a pretty good fit (despite being, in my eyes, ugly)
The AKG 271s also look very promising, I'll have to see if anybody local has 'em i can try out.

I have always been impressed by Shure products in general, and the 940s were a pair i had my eye on already.

I've played with the sony 7056, a few years ago and wasn't impressed with 'em instead bought a pair of ath-m50s that have been my go to pair for the last few years. Several earpads later, these are what I'm replacing. They were ok for when I first started doin' video production, but I really want some higher quality sound.

I'm not really lookin' for Senns, I've tried out several different models, and I've never found a pair sub $300 that seems as good as their competition. I love their mics (most notably their shotguns) but I just don't feel their phones are worth the money most of the time.

So, the GMP 8.35s, the AKG 271s, and the Shure 940s, I'll do some more lookin' into these phones, as I want to get a new pair in the next 30 days of so.

Thanks, for your suggestions so far, I'll be watching for any other recommendations anybody have have.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Originally Posted by TheAnomoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have always been impressed by Shure products in general, and the 940s were a pair i had my eye on already.

I don't actually like any Shure products, especiallhy not the SE535, but they really outdid themselves with the SRH-940 which is in my eyes one of the best headphones bestowed upon mankind under $300.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
So, the GMP 8.35s, the AKG 271s, and the Shure 940s, I'll do some more lookin' into these phones, as I want to get a new pair in the next 30 days of so.

Thanks, for your suggestions so far, I'll be watching for any other recommendations anybody have have.

To try those hps at a local shop will be the best for you...please let us know your findings.
happy_face1.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnomoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most of the time, I'm listening for 2 things, vocal reproduction, and wind noise (more specifically, an absence thereof)...

...which is why I use AKG K81DJ while I'm doing my recordings of industrial soundscapes. They sound pretty awful but they're so ridiculously overdone in the bass register that you'll clearly notice even the slightest hint of a wind problem way before it could cause any real trouble. They're on-ear, however.

Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back