FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,322 of 3,064
Nope straight pull.  You can wiggle side to side slightly - but it won't twist because of the tab.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,325 of 3,064
Time to talk to the vendor I think.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,326 of 3,064
  Time to talk to the vendor I think.

I bought it used
mad.gif

I have a Shure cable incoming but anyone know of any other sources for a good cable at a decent price?

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,327 of 3,064
Update: i tried to clean the right cable connector with a cleaning tissue dabbed in alcohol. The intermittent audio cutting disappeared. Maybe the contacts become dirty so that there is audio cutting. In any case, I'm glad that i saved on buying a replacement cable today. I'll consider one soon if i have spare funds. :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,328 of 3,064
Update: i tried to clean the right cable connector with a cleaning tissue dabbed in alcohol. The intermittent audio cutting disappeared. Maybe the contacts become dirty so that there is audio cutting. In any case, I'm glad that i saved on buying a replacement cable today. I'll consider one soon if i have spare funds.
biggrin.gif

That's a thing that some people seem to have with stock removable cables. I wonder if it's just a thing that happens every so often. I can't imagine why a product of this caliber would skimp on the connectors so that they would have this issue even when a cheap replacement MMCX cable wouldn't. On the $45 VSonic VSD3S, it makes sense, but this is a $300 flagship IEM we're talking about. With, in my opinion, a really top-notch cable I might add even though above the y-split it's a little stiffer than I'd like and I've never been a huge fan of memory wire. All that said, I haven't had any issues with my connector and it's too bad you did. Glad to hear you cleared it up!

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,329 of 3,064
I got the Shure 49" cable. Love that prime shipping from Amazon! Anyways this could be placebo but the Shure cables sound better than stock to me.Doesn't look as good but it feels better worn as well.

Another question gents (and ladies), driver flex. Do your a83 have em? My left driver has 0 flex while the right has it quite loud on insertion (monster audiophile foam tips).

Btw the fidue a83 brings electronic to a whole new level! Its a fun sound but really well executed!

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,330 of 3,064
I've spent a full week exclusively with DX90 / A83 over my usual Alien pairing. While I think DX90 sounds 'good' with A83, extremely detailed it just doesn't have natural flow or soundstage I get from the Alien, when I use Alien the stage is quite explosive reaching out wide left/right whilst DX90 doesn't give the same sensation. It's not only this, I do not achieve goose bumps with the DX90. Believe me, I was trying to make the DX90 work as the screen is nice, but it's really a situation of sound quality wins over anything else.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,331 of 3,064
deadhorse.gif

Some day you'll try the Pono and see what you're missing.  Get a balanced cable and see even more what you're missing.
smile.gif
  The Fidues and the Pono have a very nice friendship.

Though I have to say I prefer my new Shure 846 with the Moon balanced to the Fidue with same, it's not a major "oh my god" difference.  Better, yes, maybe 20%, but at three times the cost.  Smoother, better separation of instruments, more defined bass, clearer, smoother and more forward mids.  The Fidues are still a great deal, giving close to TOTL performance for a reasonable amount of money.  

If anyone is interested, I'm putting mine up for sale, so pm me.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,332 of 3,064
But does SE846 give you goose bumps? That's all that really matters isn't it now. I'm still sceptical about SE846 mixed opinions, possible purchase justification. :wink:

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,333 of 3,064
Goose bumps?  No, but a real big smile every time I hear something I wasn't hearing with the Fidues on the same song.  Just listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service's 1st album (hippie rock), and on the first song, in the first 10 seconds, the tone of one of the guitars was so much more clear and present I had to play that section twice to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing.  I've been listening to this album for <mumbled> years (alright, since the damn thing came out, Google if you are curious) and never heard that guitar sound like that before.  

I got goose bumps when I first tried my Pono expecting ehh and got ahhhh.  I got goose bumps when I put the Moon balanced cable on the Fidue and got an entirely different (fuller) sound signature. With the 846 it's like a better Fidue.  That's why I said, maybe 20+% better but three times the cost.  For people on a budget, the Fidue is an excellent buy, giving you an experience close to TOTL for a third or less of the cost.  If you have the money, the 846 is better.  I made the choice.  I'm selling the Fidue and the X5, as I really like the 846 with the Pono.  Oh, and the fit is better as well, once they are in there's no fiddling around (I walk with them and the Fidues would sometimes need a wiggle to reseat them).  

What do YOU need purchase justification for?  You are H20Fidelity, master of sound.  You want 'em, get 'em.  You know you deserve them.  And a Pono.  And a nice expensive cable (balanced) to go with them.  If you buy the Moon Shure SE cable it will work on the Fidues AND the 846s.  How can you resist?

And, and Happy Australian Labor Day tomorrow (or so says my American calendar). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back