FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,261 of 3,064
I miss my Fidue, had to send them to repair
frown.gif

What happened?

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,263 of 3,064
I wonder if that's why they've come out with a fixed version A83?

FWIW, mine did same (right ear).  Got a replacement from Fidue and all has been good - but in the end I've been using them with a Shure Se series cable anyway.

Fidue are great with customer service though.  A company that cares about its customers - at least that is my experience with them.

I see they have an A73 coming out soon.  Keen to see if that is a 2 driver with similar sig to the A83 (like the A71 was to the A81). 

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,264 of 3,064
From what I read throughout the various threads, intermittant connections with mmcx connectors are common complaints regardless of the brand of IEM maker.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,265 of 3,064
My first set of A83s had intermittent problems on one channel (crackle, cutting out).  Could have been the connector, I don't know.  I returned them (to Amazon) and got a replacement set that has been perfect.  Really worth it and glad I stuck with them.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,266 of 3,064
So far, I do not have any issues with the stock Fidue A83 cables. Although Penon Audio's (free included with A83) Lunashop silver plated cable will cut out or cause a channel imbalance if I move the connector too much, which is a problem with portable use.

I wonder if that's why they've come out with a fixed version A83?

FWIW, mine did same (right ear).  Got a replacement from Fidue and all has been good - but in the end I've been using them with a Shure Se series cable anyway.

Fidue are great with customer service though.  A company that cares about its customers - at least that is my experience with them.

I see they have an A73 coming out soon.  Keen to see if that is a 2 driver with similar sig to the A83 (like the A71 was to the A81). 

May I ask how the Shure cables compare with the stock Fidue cable in sound and comfort? I am considering a non-memory wire alternative cable as a backup cable since I do not expect to be using my Lunashop cable that much. For sound, I am curious if the Shure cable changes the sound compared to the stock.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,267 of 3,064
I'm probably the wrong person to ask about regarding different cables changing the sound.  To me they don't.  I'm very much an objective subjectivist - IE I volume match when making comparisons, and where possible get someone to help me blind A/B so I can eliminate as much potential bias as I can.  I've never had a cable make any audible difference in any of the full sized headphones I've owned (that includes silver vs copper).

With the A83 - I couldn't blind test - so I knew which cable was which.  But I'm already pre-biased in my opinion on cables - so I didn't expect to hear any differences .... and didn't.

Best advice - don't follow anyone else's advice.  Test yourself.

The reason I went with the Shure cable was simple - it has really low microphonics, built like a tank, has a cinch, and has good connectors.  It was also cheap.  It has memory wire - but I prefer it that way.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,268 of 3,064
smile.gif
 When I bought a Ted's cable (Hybrid) for my TF10, I had no idea if it would sound much different from the stock UE cable.  It did.  Very much so, and I could definitely tell the difference when I put the stock cable back on before I sold the set.  It sounded congested and dim in comparison.  Sounded crappy, in fact.  The Ted's had clearer bass and a wider soundstage.  

When I got the balanced Moon Audio cable for my Fidues/Pono, I figured it would sound different.  I didn't realize it would sound THAT different.  I have to assume most of it is the balanced aspect, but it also needs less power to drive it at the sound level I'm used to- I had to turn it down a bit when I first tried it.  (This is noted in the Moon literature.)

I'm looking forward to using this cable on my new (but not yet here) Shure 846 (same connectors).

Unlike Brooko, I've now twice heard really discernible differences using a "better than stock" cable.  Of course, YMMV.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,269 of 3,064
Yep - and that's why I'd suggest trying it for yourself, ignoring what other people say (don't take it as gospel) - and above all never expect any overall agreement when you're talking about cables. Olddude has a totally different viewpoint and experience from me - and I respect his opinion and experience. Just because our experiences are different doesn't mean that one has to be right or wrong.

And that is where you need to find out for yourself.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #1,270 of 3,064
  I'm probably the wrong person to ask about regarding different cables changing the sound.  To me they don't.  I'm very much an objective subjectivist - IE I volume match when making comparisons, and where possible get someone to help me blind A/B so I can eliminate as much potential bias as I can.  I've never had a cable make any audible difference in any of the full sized headphones I've owned (that includes silver vs copper).

With the A83 - I couldn't blind test - so I knew which cable was which.  But I'm already pre-biased in my opinion on cables - so I didn't expect to hear any differences .... and didn't.

The reason I went with the Shure cable was simple - it has really low microphonics, built like a tank, has a cinch, and has good connectors.  It was also cheap.  It has memory wire - but I prefer it that way.

Do you find the fit a little better with the Shure cable Brooko?

Whilst I'm a fan of the stock A83 cable design I cannot help feel the earguides could be softer or more workable. 

While A83 fits me quite well I always feel its trying to fight with me and its own angle.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,271 of 3,064
Memory wire is probably the same.  I like having the ability to swivel though - easier for me to fit.  Plus I was very used to the Shure cables - previously owned SE420, SE315, SE425, and SE535.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,272 of 3,064
  Memory wire is probably the same.  I like having the ability to swivel though - easier for me to fit.  Plus I was very used to the Shure cables - previously owned SE420, SE315, SE425, and SE535.

That's what I was going to ask, I feel A83 not being able to swivel which is causing the IEM to force its own angle on me.

So the Shure cable or (non Fidue cable) will allow the housings to swivel freely?

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,273 of 3,064
Yep - I'm guessing anything without the tab will.  I'm actually slightly tempted to even try a Fiio cable - simply because it looks nicer than the sturdy black Shure.  But the Shure is one of the least microphonic and most sturdy cables I've ever used.  Plus it's cheap.  So no-brainer really.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,274 of 3,064

smile.gif
 When I bought a Ted's cable (Hybrid) for my TF10, I had no idea if it would sound much different from the stock UE cable.  It did.  Very much so, and I could definitely tell the difference when I put the stock cable back on before I sold the set.  It sounded congested and dim in comparison.  Sounded crappy, in fact.  The Ted's had clearer bass and a wider soundstage.  

When I got the balanced Moon Audio cable for my Fidues/Pono, I figured it would sound different.  I didn't realize it would sound THAT different.  I have to assume most of it is the balanced aspect, but it also needs less power to drive it at the sound level I'm used to- I had to turn it down a bit when I first tried it.  (This is noted in the Moon literature.)

I'm looking forward to using this cable on my new (but not yet here) Shure 846 (same connectors).

Unlike Brooko, I've now twice heard really discernible differences using a "better than stock" cable.  Of course, YMMV.

I'm glad to hear both your opinions on the cables. I'll most likely pick up the Shure cable to see if the fit improves because I cannot use double/triple flange tips with the current angle of the A83, but can use them on another IEM. As my ears are pretty untrained from my lack of experience, I'll hold off against more expensive cables until later on. The Lunashop cable's lack of a tab also felt pretty nice, although I couldn't move them without the sound cutting apart.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,275 of 3,064
The Shure cable won't have the pin that prevents the cable from rotating on the earpiece. The Fidue cable has a pin, so the cable stays solidly where it is.  This may matter to you, or not.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back