FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,016 of 3,064
Feb 3, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #3,018 of 3,064
I received my A83 a few days ago and still adjusting to it.

I was at first quite disappointed by the sound of it, especially the soudstage which i found to be very narrow with poor instrument separation, like it was all muffled, muddy, with bass being sluggish. 

Burn in didn't change it at all (i'm not a burn in believer anyway, unless you talk about ear/brain tuning to new headphones) until i decided to get rid of my comply tips (i've been happy with comply tips on every of my IEMs for years so didn't bother to put the guilt on my beloved foams, i have large and deep ear canal so foam tips was until now the only option for me to get a good seal)

but gosh !!!

This is the fist IEM i've got which sound signature changes so much depending on the tips you use. Went for some spinfits i had lying around and it became a whole different story. Muddiness totally disappeared, the sound opened, the soundstage as well, it all became crystal clear, the bass reduced to a very satisfying level and speed. But the highs (i like treble happy IEMs) are a bit piercing, irritating. 

So not totally satisfied with A83, still wondering if i'll keep them or not. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #3,019 of 3,064
I got these headphones a few days ago. I can't seem to get used to them. They just sound really loud. Like piercingly loud when I turn the music up. A guitar is piercingly loud that it's unlistenable. I can't enjoy anything. I'm not sure if it's just the tips I'm using, but I also can't seem to get them to fit in my ear neatly. I think I have pretty small ears though. Should they really sound like this? I also got an Astell & Kern DAP to use them with. But music is still piercingly loud so I doubt it's the source quality.

Edit - Okay seems I can improve the sound by fiddling with them in my ears. It really does seem like what I've been reading about IEMs is true. You really need a proper fit inside the ear. I also think my ears must be tiny. I've always had trouble fitting earbuds in my ears. I think I'll need to look for some new tips. Maybe some of those thin long triple flanged ones.
Basically I press them in my ears as far as I can. I could even feel a change in pressure in my right ear. I stuck my thumb nail in between the earphone and my ear and gave it a little budge to break the seal and let the pressure out. Then sound popped back in.
The sound in some music is still really loud and 'blaring' though. Electric guitar in BritPop (Oasis) for example is really loud and high pitched.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,020 of 3,064
I always had fit problems with the A83. I'm not sure they're on the right design track with their shell shape. Sounded great when I had them in properly but that's why I eventually sold them: just uncomfortable for me over longer listening sessions.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,021 of 3,064
Hi, I just got my A83, it seems can fit with the large stock tip, but when i wear it I can hear outside sound quite clearly, is it due to fit issue? Or due to the vent of hybrid design? Appreciate if anyone can advise

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,022 of 3,064
Hi, I just got my A83, it seems can fit with the large stock tip, but when i wear it I can hear outside sound quite clearly, is it due to fit issue? Or due to the vent of hybrid design? Appreciate if anyone can advise

If you get a perfect seal you shouldn't really be able to hear much of anything outside although it does depend
to some degree of the thickness of the silicon
Also, having a perfect seal will give you the full benefit of the bass response of the A83
It may be the stock large isn't actually that large - I also have big ear holes and some so called stock 
'large' tips don't fit well enough - with my A83 the right side used to come out, even with the largest tip
There are loads of after market tips out there though :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,023 of 3,064
  I received my A83 a few days ago and still adjusting to it.
  I was at first quite disappointed by the sound of it, especially the soudstage which i found to be very narrow with poor instrument separation, like it was all muffled, muddy, with bass being sluggish. 
  Burn in didn't change it at all (i'm not a burn in believer anyway, unless you talk about ear/brain tuning to new headphones) until i decided to get rid of my comply tips (i've been happy with comply tips on every of my IEMs for years so didn't bother to put the guilt on my beloved foams, i have large and deep ear canal so foam tips was until now the only option for me to get a good seal)

but gosh !!!

This is the fist IEM i've got which sound signature changes so much depending on the tips you use. Went for some spinfits i had lying around and it became a whole different story. Muddiness totally disappeared, the sound opened, the soundstage as well, it all became crystal clear, the bass reduced to a very satisfying level and speed. But the highs (i like treble happy IEMs) are a bit piercing, irritating. 
  So not totally satisfied with A83, still wondering if i'll keep them or not. 

I went through the same experience as well, but in my case I also explored various cables.  I was not ever able to get a perfect seal with the cables it came with.  In the end, I settled with triple flange tips and the cable from my ue900.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,024 of 3,064
If you get a perfect seal you shouldn't really be able to hear much of anything outside although it does depend
to some degree of the thickness of the silicon
Also, having a perfect seal will give you the full benefit of the bass response of the A83
It may be the stock large isn't actually that large - I also have big ear holes and some so called stock 
'large' tips don't fit well enough - with my A83 the right side used to come out, even with the largest tip
There are loads of after market tips out there though :)

Thanks for advice, will try more tips if can find a suitable one :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #3,025 of 3,064
I went through the same experience as well, but in my case I also explored various cables.  I was not ever able to get a perfect seal with the cables it came with.  In the end, I settled with triple flange tips and the cable from my ue900.

I tried to use mmcx cable from MeeAudio Pinnacle but cannot connect, M's connector seems a bit too short to get into the housing plug...
btw, I'm not able to unplug cable for one side, not dare to force too hard worries would break something

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,026 of 3,064
Hello, complete newbie here. I've just ordered my first DAP (FiioX5iii) I'm after advice on earphones around the price of the Fidue A83. I'm completely new to this type of equipment previously using AKG450 and some soundmagic s to listen to music on my phone. Anyway I'm after a quite neutral sound and wondered how these compared to something like the Shure se425. I will be listening to high res audio as I slowly upgrade my files and buy new as well as converting CDs to 16bit flac. Any advice on this including other models from trinity and westone etc would be much appreciated as I hadn't heard of most of these makes until I started looking into it.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #3,027 of 3,064
I tried to use mmcx cable from MeeAudio Pinnacle but cannot connect, M's connector seems a bit too short to get into the housing plug...
btw, I'm not able to unplug cable for one side, not dare to force too hard worries would break something

Hmmm interesting.  I don't recall having that issue, but I also can't recall if I tried the cable from the Pinnacle on my A83's because I found my acceptable fit/setup on the A83 quite a while before the P1's were introduced.  But, as I do have the P1's as well, when I get back home I'll try the the cable out on the A83's.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,028 of 3,064
Hmmm interesting.  I don't recall having that issue, but I also can't recall if I tried the cable from the Pinnacle on my A83's because I found my acceptable fit/setup on the A83 quite a while before the P1's were introduced.  But, as I do have the P1's as well, when I get back home I'll try the the cable out on the A83's.

Yeah please help to try and advise, I don't like cable with hard memory wire and prefer the one like P1, looking for any replacement cable currently, thanks

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #3,029 of 3,064
Hello, complete newbie here. I've just ordered my first DAP (FiioX5iii) I'm after advice on earphones around the price of the Fidue A83. I'm completely new to this type of equipment previously using AKG450 and some soundmagic s to listen to music on my phone. Anyway I'm after a quite neutral sound and wondered how these compared to something like the Shure se425. I will be listening to high res audio as I slowly upgrade my files and buy new as well as converting CDs to 16bit flac. Any advice on this including other models from trinity and westone etc would be much appreciated as I hadn't heard of most of these makes until I started looking into it.

Sorry do not have those IEM u asking, just can tell you that A83 a bit of V shape with some bass emphasis, not flat neutral, it's sound signature is clean and bright, not warm type.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #3,030 of 3,064
Yeah please help to try and advise, I don't like cable with hard memory wire and prefer the one like P1, looking for any replacement cable currently, thanks

P1 cable appears to fit fine on the a83.  I tried the non-mic cable.  I did notice that because of the roughly triangular shape of the mmcx end, it will not fully rotate, there's some resistance as you rotatage the plug -- which might be a good thing, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back