FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,176 of 3,064
Something else 'happened' the other day.. (another new DAP with A83). Unfortunately, I don't have a photo at such time, though rest assured the 'happened' will appear soon!

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2,178 of 3,064
To be honest, my main A83 sources remain Tralucent DacAmp One and Shozy Alien depending if I want a screen. Very much Alien because it provides the most suitable detail levels without 20,000 times extra resolution (DacAmp One, it's brutal). I've done FOTM with DX90 a while back. This new one is not budget sadly...

There's cold hard evidence lingering around in the source gear section! If you cannot find it I'll return with the merchandise later on. :wink:

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,179 of 3,064
Hey guys, I just got my pair of A83's about an hour ago and it seems that I'm experiencing a driver flex problem or something.

On only the right earpiece, sometimes when I insert the housing into my ear canal I get a loud *crinkle/cracking* sound that I presume to be driver flex. I was under the impression that the A83's were a ported design, so this is definitely kind of confusing, especially since I only have this problem in the right ear. It's also worth mentioning that after I hear this sound in the earphone, there doesn't seem to be any change in sound quality or quantity. It just makes this sound, and then acts as if nothing happened. I do not have any cutting in-out issues or cable issues at the moment.

Also, I have seen H20's post about stretching your ear canal when inserting the IEMs, but this still didn't seem to consistently solve the problem. I had the sound occur twice even when stretching my canal quite far by pulling on my ear.

I'm currently using JVC Spiral Dot tips in Medium, and I'd also like to note that this problem still occurs no matter which tips I use (sony hybrids, stock tips, foam tips, etc).

Has anyone got any suggestions/solutions? Should I exchange the pair for another or something? I ordered online through amazon if that is of any importance.

Thanks!

Also, coming from GR07's, the current sound out-of-the-box doesn't really seem very impressive to me at the moment. I'm really hoping that I'll grow into them with time or that some burning in will help. I initially hated the sound of my GR07's until I burned them in for a week, so I'm hoping at least to get some results from overnight burn ins on the Fidue's as well.

UPDATE: (1 hour later)

After listening to the earphones for a bit longer and gaining a calm state of mind (was stressed out heavily when first listening), I actually have already started to fall in love with the sound signature and capabilities that the A83 possesses that my GR07's could not achieve. Previously with the GR07's, I would have to always keep the volume at a relatively moderate-lowish volume to avoid the sibilance becoming too much to bear. With the Fidue's, I can fully max out my DX50's volume or raise it 20 steps higher without breaking a sweat, even on some of my most sibilant tracks! I can now listen to my previously "too sibilant" albums that I was unable to listen to. :)

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,181 of 3,064
Oh, oh what is it, a new fotm? I hope it's a budget smasher, something that will knock the balls(eye) of shozy alien, maybe dx90? Let the beans be spilled, you know you want to
wink.gif

Uh,oh. Here we go...again! But i just know it's going to be something really good!

BEHOLD...

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,183 of 3,064
  Hey guys, I just got my pair of A83's about an hour ago and it seems that I'm experiencing a driver flex problem or something.

On only the right earpiece, sometimes when I insert the housing into my ear canal I get a loud *crinkle/cracking* sound that I presume to be driver flex. I was under the impression that the A83's were a ported design, so this is definitely kind of confusing, especially since I only have this problem in the right ear. It's also worth mentioning that after I hear this sound in the earphone, there doesn't seem to be any change in sound quality or quantity. It just makes this sound, and then acts as if nothing happened. I do not have any cutting in-out issues or cable issues at the moment.

Also, I have seen H20's post about stretching your ear canal when inserting the IEMs, but this still didn't seem to consistently solve the problem. I had the sound occur twice even when stretching my canal quite far by pulling on my ear.

I'm currently using JVC Spiral Dot tips in Medium, and I'd also like to note that this problem still occurs no matter which tips I use (sony hybrids, stock tips, foam tips, etc).

Has anyone got any suggestions/solutions? Should I exchange the pair for another or something? I ordered online through amazon if that is of any importance.

Thanks!

Also, coming from GR07's, the current sound out-of-the-box doesn't really seem very impressive to me at the moment. I'm really hoping that I'll grow into them with time or that some burning in will help. I initially hated the sound of my GR07's until I burned them in for a week, so I'm hoping at least to get some results from overnight burn ins on the Fidue's as well.

After listening to the earphones for a bit longer and gaining a calm state of mind (was stressed out heavily when first listening), I actually have already started to fall in love with the sound signature and capabilities that the A83 possesses that my GR07's could not achieve. Previously with the GR07's, I would have to always keep the volume at a relatively moderate-lowish volume to avoid the sibilance becoming too much to bear. With the Fidue's, I can fully max out my DX50's volume or raise it 20 steps higher without breaking a sweat, even on some of my most sibilant tracks! I can now listen to my previously "too sibilant" albums that I was unable to listen to. :)

I think you need to give it some time, let your expectations settle a little.

We've all been there, that huge wait, reading Head-fi posts, omg its amazing! The product arrives, you insert the earphone, and the stars don't immediately align, a feeling of remorse comes over you. The first thing you do in frustration and mild anger is jump straight online and vent.

Only a little later, this happens...

After listening to the earphones for a bit longer and gaining a calm state of mind (was stressed out heavily when first listening), I actually have already started to fall in love with the sound signature and capabilities that the A83 possesses that my GR07's could not achieve. Previously with the GR07's, I would have to always keep the volume at a relatively moderate-lowish volume to avoid the sibilance becoming too much to bear. With the Fidue's, I can fully max out my DX50's volume or raise it 20 steps higher without breaking a sweat, even on some of my most sibilant tracks! I can now listen to my previously "too sibilant" albums that I was unable to listen to. :)

Give it some time..... 

What the.....! Colourfly????

Colorfly C4 PRO, the new kid in town at H20's house. Still testing the water levels atm. 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #2,185 of 3,064
I think you need to give it some time, let your expectations settle a little.

We've all been there, that huge wait, reading Head-fi posts, omg its amazing! The product arrives, you insert the earphone, and the stars don't immediately align, a feeling of remorse comes over you. The first thing you do in frustration and mild anger is jump straight online and vent.

Only a little later, this happens...

Give it some time..... 

Colorfly C4 PRO, the new kid in town at H20's house. Still testing the water levels atm. :wink:  

How, why, sound?

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #2,186 of 3,064
Oh come on a c4?
And you say the ol'd techs BETTER. Compared to your DAO??

No, no, you're trying to influence me.

I never said C4 was better, just that something happened. 
wink_face.gif

BIG difference. 

Thanks!

I'm going to address your post again.

The driver flex is usually not overly common with A83, at least my unit.  If you're pushing the earphone in deep with pressure I'm sure I could make mine flex if really trying though I don't have any issues with it personally. I think I've heard it once or twice very lightly. This doesn't mean your A83 are faulty as I've heard driver flex variations between the same model earphone plenty of times. One worse than the other etc.

Its not an uncommon thing to occur and won't ruin your A83 anytime soon. Of course, you can return them and see if the next unit has lesser problem. I can tell you though I've owned IEM's for months on end which exhibit some driver flex its not the end of the world as the earphone should work exactly as intended. Like you said, you can hear the crackling sound on insertion though its not affecting the sound as you previously stated.

About the sound. Try different tips until you achieve the best sound and fit, if you're just cycling through the stock tips you might want to search for some alternatives. I don't think SpiralDot tips give me the best possible sound, they do provide the best fit. End of the day, if they're not for you and you bought under return policy send them back, nothing like trying to enjoy something which isn't working out for you. I have used A83 with DX50, the sound should be pretty good actually.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #2,187 of 3,064
The other thing you can try is Comply Sports tips (Comply S).  They are porous foam, and should eliminate all flex.  If you're still getting flex sounds with the Comply S, then I'd definitely be thinking about getting them replaced.

FTR - I'm like H20 - can't remember if I've ever had flex on my A83, and if I have - then it has been very minimal.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #2,188 of 3,064
No, no, you're trying to influence me.

I never said C4 was better, just that something happened. :wink_face:

BIG difference. 

No you didn't :), just wanted you to speak how much you like your DAO:)

Anyway let's hear it, I sold my X3 first gen didn't like it much now I want a good source for a83 so it's gonna be DacAmp One or ibasso D14..."shut up wallet we'll talk later"

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,189 of 3,064
No you didn't
smily_headphones1.gif
, just wanted you to speak how much you like your DAO:)

Anyway let's hear it, I sold my X3 first gen didn't like it much now I want a good source for a83 so it's gonna be DacAmp One or ibasso D14..."shut up wallet we'll talk later"

If the DacAmp One is still for sale on the forums for $250 I'd highly suggest taking it, Jared. 

It really does sound the way I'm saying, you would thank me later. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #2,190 of 3,064

OMG! This is my first time seeing a Colourful C4 in photo. It reminds me of the Walkman from the 70's, the fast forward, rewind, red record button etc etc :D (C3 definitely looks much better). Wonder how's the sound :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back