Fidelizer Pro - Real or Snake Oil?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #436 of 683

1. Have you tried Fidelizer?
2. Do you have any decent CD transport in your possession?

1. No, I haven't. Firstly it took me quite some time to set-up my studio PC and don't want any 3rd party app to ruin its settings or introduce unwanted side effects. 
As I'm primarily using WASAPI when sequencing, the Endpoint Builder must work 100%. 
BTW, this guide works too: 
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207359245-Optimising-your-PC-for-audio-on-Windows-7
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

But even that is a bit over the top. For example turning on system caching (giving background services higher priority) doesn't improve low-latency audio by measurable margin. Some of those tips were repurposed from Windows XP, which had some serious limitations in its kmixer and I guess system caching was thought as a workaround. Not an issue with Win7+

2. As a matter of fact I do. Panasonic SL-SX480. Its SNR far exceeds that of a CD, and also has pretty advanced noise shaping on oversampled PCM data. 
Though lately don't get much use, as I'm fine with Clip+ which, surprise, sounds same to me, and is a lot smaller. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #437 of 683
 You can try using foobar2000 with suggested optimizations in user guide here. It may help you notice the improvement better.

I tested it with foobar, followed the guidelines. I just can't hear any difference whatsoever. I'm not sure what you think i should hear there. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #438 of 683
I have no comments on Fidelizer....

However, I am wondering why all the hookup pictures in the User Guide and About Fidelizer show Dirac (both the icon and the name).  Dirac Live is a commercial automatic room correction system, which is available as software, or as a hardware feature in certain surround sound processors, like the Emotiva XMC-1. It has nothing to do with Fidelizer, and isn't mentioned in the text.

Quote:

I tested it with foobar, followed the guidelines. I just can't hear any difference whatsoever. I'm not sure what you think i should hear there. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #439 of 683
  1. No, I haven't. Firstly it took me quite some time to set-up my studio PC and don't want any 3rd party app to ruin its settings or introduce unwanted side effects. 
As I'm primarily using WASAPI when sequencing, the Endpoint Builder must work 100%. 
BTW, this guide works too: 
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207359245-Optimising-your-PC-for-audio-on-Windows-7
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

But even that is a bit over the top. For example turning on system caching (giving background services higher priority) doesn't improve low-latency audio by measurable margin. Some of those tips were repurposed from Windows XP, which had some serious limitations in its kmixer and I guess system caching was thought as a workaround. Not an issue with Win7+

2. As a matter of fact I do. Panasonic SL-SX480. Its SNR far exceeds that of a CD, and also has pretty advanced noise shaping on oversampled PCM data. 
Though lately don't get much use, as I'm fine with Clip+ which, surprise, sounds same to me, and is a lot smaller. 

Fidelizer is safe without making any permanent change to system but I understand that you don't want to risk for any side effects. It's OK to stay with what you're comfortable with. As for digital sources, it's like a world apart between highend/ultra highend digtal sources and entry/premium ones. Right now I'm working hard to make Nimitra performing closer to $30k digital sources like Esoteric P-02/D-02 at the moment.

It's OK. If you don't hear any improvement with Fidelizer, maybe it's not something that works with you yet. You may also try to keep using it for few more days and see if you notice in any absent without using it later too.

I have no comments on Fidelizer....

However, I am wondering why all the hookup pictures in the User Guide and About Fidelizer show Dirac (both the icon and the name).  Dirac Live is a commercial automatic room correction system, which is available as software, or as a hardware feature in certain surround sound processors, like the Emotiva XMC-1. It has nothing to do with Fidelizer, and isn't mentioned in the text.

Because some customers are using with Dirac live and they asked me how to set it up with Fidelizer. So I made example case with Dirac to demonstrate the situation.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #440 of 683
Sorry if I was unable to read all the 30 pages of discussion ...
Since I'm unable to describe in "audiophile terms" the differences I hear with Fidelizer, I only remind you that there is a common agreement on the fact that there is no audible difference among what you can hear with Spotify @320CBR and TIDAL or Qobuz @16/44.1.
If you (generic "you") are among those people I understand your dislike for Fidelizer.
Me, I hear clearly the difference among MQA and no-MQA material ...
More: I can say that Windows 10 sound is (a little ... significantly ?) better than the one of Windows 7.
So, if you want to continue to shoot over Fidelizer, you can do it.
Me, I'm happy to see that, with Fidelizer (free version), that the latency of my i7 (measured with DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0) stays consistently under 600us. Without Fidelizer ? 1100us (it's not a dedicated machine ...)

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #441 of 683
Me, I'm happy to see that, with Fidelizer (free version), that the latency of my i7 (measured with DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0) stays consistently under 600us. Without Fidelizer ? 1100us (it's not a dedicated machine ...)

And with that, I believe you have done more to promote Fidelizer to me than WindowX himself ever did... :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #442 of 683
And with that, I believe you have done more to promote Fidelizer to me than WindowX himself ever did...
biggrin.gif

Very true, although still not compelling as far as I'm concerned. When I press play, as long as it actually starts playing within the blink of an eye (about 200,000us), that's good enough for me.

G

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #443 of 683
@teodorom: Thank you for your positive comment. I'm sure it hurts no soul if Fidelizer can improve music enjoyment in some systems.

@Joe Bloggs: LoL. You're right though I have no intention to promote Fidelizer product here in this thread. I've have done better if I had that intention from start.

@gregorio: Good for you. :)

By the way, I noticed notification about this thread today and tried to read his comment as written below.

I admit that i hear much difference, actually on well recorded files like 'Max richter - Luminous(FLAC 16bit/44KHz)'.
Now the string's vibrating have more micro-dynamics, and imaging is more precise.

I felt it with even when i using iem like westone2 on foobar2000 fidelizer-guide settings being applied.

other conditions: Windows7 professional, music files in HDD, MMCSS is set up as "pro audio".

I don't understand why this comment should be removed. He only expressed his subjective opinions without bashing anyone or any idea. Does sound science forum ban subjective posts now?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #444 of 683
  I don't understand why this comment should be removed. He only expressed his subjective opinions without bashing anyone or any idea. Does sound science forum ban subjective posts now?

I'm not certain who's comment was removed.  Perhaps it was simply edited by the original poster?  I found it rather amusing that you would ask if this forum bans subjective posts.  The answer, by the way, is absolutely not.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #445 of 683

I admit that i hear much difference, actually on well recorded files like 'Max richter - Luminous(FLAC 16bit/44KHz)'.
Now the string's vibrating have more micro-dynamics, and imaging is more precise.

I felt it with even when i using iem like westone2 on foobar2000 fidelizer-guide settings being applied.

other conditions: Windows7 professional, music files in HDD, MMCSS is set up as "pro audio".

he deleted this post and copied it in the fidelizer topic outside sound science where you can read it.
I don't know that he was pressured to do it by the objectivist Illuminati
wink_face.gif
, most likely he just wished to express his opinion without being bothered by someone asking for proof, so he moved to a place where that wouldn't happen. smart move IMO.

I just cleaned what was left:

deleted : wrong thread

Edited by sarang-i - Yesterday at 12:50 pm

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #446 of 683
Oh I see. I thought it was handled by moderator. I apologize for jumping into misleading conclusion. Yeah, smart move I'd say. :)

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #447 of 683
Additional information to support the notion that this product is most likely not the right tool to use to fix a problem it might solve.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/04/retro-measure-2002-lynx-l22-pci-audio.html

Quote:
Nope, CPU and GPU loads do not contribute to higher jitter. Computing load certainly did not create any more jitter for a PCI internal sound card designed in 2002! I remain perplexed as to why some people think that having more CPU threads or background services somehow results in "bad" sound. Seriously folks, these days if you've got bit-perfect output (ASIO, WASAPI) to an asynchronous USB DACthere is no jitter to worry about unless there's something wrong with your DAC! OS tweaks and "optimization" apps like Fidelizer or AudiophileOptimizer will achieve nothing. Likewise, player software makes no difference as long as it's set up properly. Yes, I know people have provided testimony about how great certain optimizing software works or feel that a certain bitperfect player is better than another. So what? People testify about all kinds of things all the time which we safely ignore in day to day life!

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #448 of 683
  Additional information to support the notion that this product is most likely not the right tool to use to fix a problem it might solve.

He can use the same logic to apply on highend CD transport saying it's not better than Pioneer / ASUS drive. I don't know why many audiophiles believe in his claims based on incorrect methodology to test. I can recommend some people who can do proper tests who can measure effect from analog output stage from DAC to show how digital transport can affect it.

By the way, Fidelizer DID improve audio performance. It solved many stuttering cases in audio playback and pro audio applications. Some even bought Pro licenses to use as infrastructure to prevent audio skipping in pro audio works. As for sound quality improvement, I have more than enough testimonials to post like every day right now. Maybe expectation bias is too strong with Fidelizer. :wink:

Regards,
Keetakawee

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #449 of 683

He can use the same logic to apply on highend CD transport saying it's not better than Pioneer / ASUS drive. I don't know why many audiophiles believe in his claims based on incorrect methodology to test. I can recommend some people who can do proper tests who can measure effect from analog output stage from DAC to show how digital transport can affect it.

By the way, Fidelizer DID improve audio performance. It solved many stuttering cases in audio playback and pro audio applications. Some even bought Pro licenses to use as infrastructure to prevent audio skipping in pro audio works. As for sound quality improvement, I have more than enough testimonials to post like every day right now. Maybe expectation bias is too strong with Fidelizer. :wink:

Regards,
Keetakawee

So since we are in the sound science subforum, why don't you post some of these measurements showing how Fidelizer improves the results at the analog output stage of the DAC.  That would be really, really nice.  Much more convincing than some testimonials. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #450 of 683
I once tried with Diffmaker. Proper measurements on analog DAC is too much effort for 2-digit software. Maybe I'll do that after people being able to make sense with Diffmaker measurements.

By the way, do you guys know any other measurements to recommend besides basic RMAA metrics archimago did? Do I need to measure signal that solved stuttering too?

Regards,
Keetakawee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back