Fidelizer 2.0 - Introducing new UI with multi-core optimizations
Mar 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #35 of 188
I'll put some 'extreme' features back soon.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #37 of 188
I'll put some 'extreme' features back soon.

mmm, Idk, I don't want to run it on my live machine :D...It unpacks a dll into the temp folder signed with an expired certificate by Altiris, and that seems to do most of the work (interaction with services,etc).

So what does the current version do again and what are the 'more extreme' features?

*chant* source code, source code */chant*

and 'advanced' mode for paranoid people with a list of changes (possibly with checkboxes to deselect) for each of the options will do very well too.

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 188
So is Fidelizer an application that doesn't install anything but you get to enable or disable all its feature with one check or uncheck of its box?

currently a combo box with 3 vanilla options :D. I think it would be better if it was a set of checkboxes that show up for each selection and let you actually pick what you want to do (tooltips with what settings are might be useful as well).

At least for services, stopping or starting them for the current session doesn't actually save the changes after a restart (for that you need to specifically change the service start-up settings).

I'd still be curious to know which services are stopped and why?

>-Optimize system's tasks, I/O priorities, clock rate in MMCSS..

more details would be nice. Especially in the form of checkboxes and tooltips and links to the MSDN pages for the api calls :D . Do you just mean the settings for tasks in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile (or I suppose win api calls to do that)? Also, do the audio apps need to set some sort of flag indicating what type of app they are to be treated with those priorities (or rather regarded as those types of apps)? What are the SFIO, clock rate, etc values set and where did you get the optimal values/what are the consequences for running services and non-audio apps?

> -Optimize audio thread priority

If he opens the running processes and threads and adjusts the priority (or in process memory values) instead of tweaking a registry setting that definitely won't carry over to even the next time those are started (well, unless the apps write back the values from memory on shutdown or something). (For registry values you'd need a reboot, or restarting the processes or services, which I don't think is what's going on...(weeell, unless the system components poll those keys periodically or have callbacks?)). On the other hand I do see audiodg being restarted so IDK.

>Optimize process thread priorities

ummm, which process/threads and to what/why?

>and system clock resolution

PS adjusting the system clock res seems interesting (I presume the values are those set and returned by returned by 'NtQueryTimerResolution' NtSetTimerResolution respectively? and it's set to 0.500ms)
. Would it be affecting the 'accuracy' of audio devices using adaptive mode USB transfer?

PSS In case you shut down the PC using the power button or it crashes, would any changes made to the system be saved?

By the way, what happens to the extracted dll written to the temp folder after the program finishes running (i.e. does the DLL get deleted or does it get saved elsewhere and loaded into processes later (preeesumably not) etc)?

PSSS why does the app need to keep running after optimizing until you restart. What settings need to be checked and changed periodically and why?

PSSSS it keeps opening the friggin webpage, please make it stop doing that...

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #42 of 188
Before questioning how it works, why don't you share us your impressions about Fidelizer?

State-of-art is supposed to be the best as it did the most but I found something causing system's stability afterwards as being experimental tweaks. They're all gone after reboot as program promises.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #43 of 188
For me using the "state of the art", the music was definately faster and the presentation different. The music seems less bright and more natural but less clear than before or it was the brightness that made it seem more clear. Something with the focus of the sounds I didn't really like, kind of like less rounded than before the tweak. I like the natural and speed of it but don't really like the attack and focus of the sound.

I wonder if it would better if it was a 64 bit program because I see it is running as a 32 bit program.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #44 of 188
Before questioning how it works, why don't you share us your impressions about Fidelizer?

State-of-art is supposed to be the best as it did the most but I found something causing system's stability afterwards as being experimental tweaks. They're all gone after reboot as program promises.

I'm not questioning, I'm asking. It's only questioning after you brush off an invitation to respond to queries like you did. Now I am questioning. But by all means, you don't owe me a response at all.

Asking for impressions where people can't really A/B them is not really a good idea. Most people will generally hear what they expect to hear (mostly because you're talking about fairly subtle changes in some cases). (fluffy kittens and puppies for all I care). I wouldn't trust those listening impressions for a second.

No offense, but you're asking people to run a program with a select box in admin mode that will make system changes and keep running for some reason after it does (all based on marketing name type select box descriptions).
To anyone reasonable it should be a big deal.

To build trust from users it's nice to at least provide either a) making all the changes selectable (including services shut down) and address the questions above or b) source code or c) unprotected executables (since the current one writes the DLL from some sort an installer and does everything through it, but you don't actually see the code for what your app itself does) so people can verify your claims.

Please address the questions in post 40 and 37 when you have time.

Personally, I don't really care what it sounds like (a) and I don't have any latency problems on my current system + MD11 ships all the data in bulk mode, reassembles it on the DAC side, so latency doesn't really affect the sound quality on my machine, unless the buffer is empty b) the amp has a really high noise floor on the MD11, so I really won't be able to tell the difference :D until my D100 or ADG-NFB-10WM are back c) as I said, without ABing it, I'm unlikely to hear a difference on my adaptive mode DAC either.
d) I don't even know if my music player needs to be modified to declare itself as an audio player or a pro-audio app (or if that's done dynamically depending on what calls they make)

I want to know what it does, what changes are made (exactly) what services are stopped, what values the SFIO, MMCSS, task priorities are set and why, why the program stays open after making the changes, what changes may persist if the system is not shut down properly... Pretty much just the questions above.

Re: making system changes - If you don't give a satisfactory answer to some of those questions and are just randomly (ok, let's say more um 'empirically) changing task priority, clock settings, etc it doesn't really foster user trust or an impression that you know what you're doing. Personally that makes me less inclined to use your product.

PS It'd also be really great if the program would stop setting my opera and and ie homepages to its page. Trust me, NOONE would want that and it's plain annoying. (thanks, you made me lose a 50 saved tab opera session which I had to manually restore ). Even having it as default option is a nono in many design guides.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 188
In short, you don't need to use it. Let me tell you 3 things.

1. This app is free. I may mind to elaborate about your curiosity if it's paid software. Well, it deserves some bucks though.
2. I made it just because I'm bored seeing people raving on Mac as audiophile platform.
3. I know people who has opened mind enough to appreciate it and I already explained all of them in my website.

If you think it's my explanation is random, gain more knowledge before understanding it. You still struck at buffer being all good for sound quality and I know it's fruitless effort explaining things to these kinds of people. If you don't trust me or Fidelizer, I don't care. Just use your own tweaks. If you really want to A/B it, just follow these steps.

1. Test sound quality from normal environment
2. Close application and use Fidelizer
3. Test again

Not sure? Restart and try again. Most people can easily notice the difference judging from feedback in forum. As for homepage, are you blind? There's checkbox to untick yet you leave it be and complain.

If I were to guess your hidden motives, you just want to know how I made it huh? Don't be shy lol. I'll tell you you're partly right about MSDN and MMCSS and yes I did use NtSetTimerResolution as one of API call optimizations.

P.S. For annoying webpage and set homepage feature, I intend to keep it to prevent some people taking benefits on this project for their commercial music server project. Since it can run as unattended, ones can easily put this into OS and claim for $$$. I don't want that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back