Fidelizer 2.0 - Introducing new UI with multi-core optimizations
Mar 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #46 of 188
>If you really want to A/B it, just follow these steps.

Sorry, meant to say blind A/B with the option to instantly hear one after another or swap the order again :wink: . No way of doing that, since you'd know when it's running. I suppose you could have someone else do it, while you look away. but I what if don't have any friends :D ? The need to restart the machine to repeat is not really conductive to it either... It would be awesome if system settings were queried and saved and could be restored without a reboot (maybe not so much for stopped/started services)?

>1. This app is free. I may mind to elaborate about your curiosity if it's paid software. Well, it deserves some bucks though.
>3. I know people who has opened mind enough to appreciate it and I already explained all of them in my website.
> you just want to know how I made it huh? Don't be shy lol.

I'd happily donate $5 if you added the advanced options where you get a choice to check/de-select/tick what you want done. (including what services to stop).
Don't get me wrong, I greately appreciate the effort, especially when the app is free.
I just can't help be an ass when people make silly design choices justifying them with obfuscating (I've PMed you about what people can do to and how much it costs for getting the source equivalent :D ). Plus I just want a higher level of assurance for programs that modify system settings with an option to select what I think is a good idea and what isn't (maybe even change the parameters into the MMCSS calls). Sure, I'm partially curious how it works and whether it works as claimed (hence why I insist on asking whether it still doesn't make any changes if the pc is not shut down properly while the app is running)

>2. I made it just because I'm bored seeing people raving on Mac as audiophile platform.

meh, with an async mode USB dac, KS or ASIO and/or win7 windows audio session windows really isn't that bad. I'd be more worried about specific dodgy motherboards, usb controllers, etc.

>3 If you think it's my explanation is random, gain more knowledge before understanding it.

Look, I sorry I was a bit of an ass above, but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't elaborate on what exactly is done and how. At this stage I don't have the will to do more RTFM after 8h of programming at work :D

>If you don't trust me or Fidelizer, I don't care.

Not quite that. There are far easier ways to scam far more people :) .
I was asking you what settings are applied to: MMCSS related calls and why, and what the consequences to see whether the settings used make sense (if they're specified in MSDN docs somewhere just reference that page), in the sense that they're probably not easy to get right.

>You still struck at buffer being all good for sound quality and I know it's fruitless effort explaining things to these kinds of people.

don't be juvenile, haughty or dismissive. MD11 ships data in bulk bus mode it's not the same as the driver-less adaptive mode DACs or buffering to reclock. The key is not a buffer, the key is using bulk transfer mode with guaranteed data delivery (the bus is fast enough to provide a soft guarantee on the latency as a bonus if the outbound buffer is never empty)

>As for homepage, are you blind? There's checkbox to untick yet you leave it be and complain.

again, don't be juvenile. I ran it 3 times, 2 sandboxes lol... The last time I forgot to untick it. Things happen.
How many people do you know that actually set the home page to any app that requests it? I don't know any. If people like it, they will BOOKMARK it and visit it later to check for updates. So just make that box non-default and make it 'open my page' instead of set homepage.

To top it off, it seems that when I close the app or it finishes optimizing, it goes to your webpage again. WHY??? We've already been there... We got the program from it :D .... (edit: oh i see, same 'omg they'll steal my programz' thing...)

>P.S. For annoying webpage and set homepage feature, I intend to keep it to prevent some people taking benefits on this project for their commercial music server project. Since it can run as unattended, ones can easily put this into OS and claim for $$$. I don't want that.

I've PMed you WRT that. Basically, there are plenty of people with no job or boredoom, but little ethics and the necessary skills to do enough dynamic analysis (dump or tracing or + hooks on registry or dll calls) and or RTM. I'd say if the commerical projects wanted it it'd cost them no more than $200-$500 and an Eastern EU person from a dodgy reverse engineering forum + 3-5 hours :). Again, please stop greatly inconveniencing your users.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #47 of 188
In version 1.0-1.2, I used to make checkbox for all options but it seemed to confuse people and ended up causing me some kind of trouble. So I changed to level steps instead as all would be the best anyway.

And don't get me wrong about money, I can earn up to hundred times of your proposed donation everyday so money or reputation is no concern here. I'm just fed up with audiophile mac freak and want this to smash'em to pieces.

For app to run again, you checked autorun feature and you need to run again manually to uncheck it.

As for knowledge, I'll tell you few things:

1. large buffer sucks. RME has plenty of explanations for latency jitter and why buffer shouldn't be there or be as small as possible.
2. Reclock sucks. Most hiend DAW uses masterclock and feeding word for better stability of time domain. And most hiend digital transport/dac like Esoteric/dCS/Emm labs/Weiss tends to prefer word clock input from masterclock
3. Async USB is something similar to reclocking adaptive usb. It won't gain highest possible fidelity but it can ensures better minimum. Best Async USB interface atm is from Esoteric K series and I can tell you it's not even close to minimum level of midend cd transport. Not that Esoteric's USB or computer sucks but that's far as USB 2.0 can do for now.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #48 of 188
In version 1.0-1.2, I used to make checkbox for all options but it seemed to confuse people and ended up causing me some kind of trouble. So I changed to level steps instead as all would be the best anyway.

>In version 1.0-1.2, I used to make checkbox for all options but it seemed to confuse people and ended up causing me some kind of trouble.

Maybe if you have something line an advanced mode button for people who still want to see that?

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #49 of 188
The problem about it setting your page as it home page happens when you set it to boot up on start up. The setting to untick the option to set the web page do not stick to off. So every time you have to close the browser down as it sets the homepage back to your page and quicky launches it. The only time it doesnt happen is when you dont set it to boot when windows starts. so you can untick it.

I mention that in my other post. Your program works good but if you actually fix that issue than that will make me and any one who sick of there home page getting changed whenver the program is set to boot up when windows starts.

Hes not blind because had had the same issue when he set it to boot when windows starts. That tick box do not save to what you set it to. Actually running it again while it already running to change a setting the box is automatic ticked again.

I would love to let ti auto boot at windows start up but not if its keep messing with my home page settings.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #50 of 188
For setting homepage at startup, it's a bug. I forgot to write down configuration about setting homepage so it'll read default value as checked instead and it'll be fixed in next release. However, showing Fidelizer homepage after optimization will not be lifted off for time being.

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #52 of 188
piercing brightness is actually harshness. I won't say it's bad thing if you like it but real music lives without it.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 188
WindowsX man,

a) Please stop being paranoid about someone using the app for 'PROFIT!111' at the cost of user inconvenience and security (you've seen how easy it is to reverse it, see PM)
(if tomorrow your site gets infected with malware and starts spreading 0day browser exploits and you get redirected to it... It's not quite "just a page").

b) How showing a bit more remorse for the loss of user data (and admitting you ripped a piece of code somewhere to set the opera homepage, but never tested it, since you don't really use opera, so you didn't catch the bit where the method of setting the homepage leads to the loss of the last saved session in opera. It's really is a lot of fun to restore 50 opened windows in opera from history and the re-order the tabs and tab stacks).

c) Users are not to blame for loss of data (see b). RTM on usability and that these features are far from user friendly (default set homepage checkbox + autostart bug) and are highly error prone). Bugs and lack of testing, and (a & b) are.

Wish we could get some RMAA measurements to see how and whether it objectively improves the sound quality or changes the FR :D or measurably improves the specs. Not rely on testimonies from hearing it once and having to reboot the PC to try again.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #54 of 188
If it's commercial software, I might do it but I haven't seen any audiophile player doing that before too. I said setting homepage always being checked was actually a bug because I forget to write down registry to keep it. As for Opera, I did test it but later versions changed something I didn't expect continue from last time to be completely gone. Well, I feel sorry for you losing 50 tabs though because I used to experience something similar from IE. My apology. I'll remove setting homepage and keep only opening fidelizer page then. Sounds reasonable enough, OK?

svyr, I suggest you to leave this project alone if it can't satisfy your needs. I don't plan to prove it with RMAA or anything so just use something else you like.

Anyway, I managed to resolve 'little roundy' image. Now bass and treble both sounds while maintaining natural harmonics.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #55 of 188
If it's commercial software, I might do it but I haven't seen any audiophile player doing that before too. I said setting homepage always being checked was actually a bug because I forget to write down registry to keep it. As for Opera, I did test it but later versions changed something I didn't expect continue from last time to be completely gone. Well, I feel sorry for you losing 50 tabs though because I used to experience something similar from IE. My apology. I'll remove setting homepage and keep only opening fidelizer page then. Sounds reasonable enough, OK?

svyr, I suggest you to leave this project alone if it can't satisfy your needs. I don't plan to prove it with RMAA or anything so just use something else you like.

I'm not asking your for RMAA, I know the equipment and software is not cheap. I'm hoping someone who has access to it can can post the results. Just curiosity.

>I'll remove setting homepage and keep only opening fidelizer page then. Sounds reasonable enough, OK?

suits me. I still think it's a bad idea, but if you insist, I can't really do anything about it.

Look, why don't you display a splash screen for autostart mode, with a link to the main page and a link to another page that you can click that'll tell you an update has been released. and forget the entire opening links automatically. (plus splash screens can be pretty :D )

>Well, I feel sorry for you losing 50 tabs though because I used to experience something similar from IE. My apology.

thank you!

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #56 of 188
Well, I'll consider it but keep in mind this is my free stuff for killing time. If I need to put such effort I don't want to, I won't.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #58 of 188
I think it is hard to tweak a program when it comes to anything out of what sounds natural and what the speed of the sounds in the music should be. I forgot to mention that I use dual mono wolfson wm8740 chips in differential mode and wolfson is known for softening the sound in their DACs without losing much detail but I've read but never heard that the Sabre ESXXXX or Buffalo DACs have a sharper and more detailed sound so I don't know how you would adjust the treble and bass for different DACs. I don't know if their low, middle, and high frequency detailed sounds are similar compared to what natural harmonics should sound like.

I've read some people prefer the wolfson DACs over the Sabre ESXXXX because the softening of the sounds eleviate fatigue and the Sabre ESXXXX's details are overwhelming but the Sabre ESXXXX seems to be more advanced as a DAC.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #59 of 188
If the transport is right for sound, DAC will not have trouble with it. But with recent release, it's still not and I'm still investigating for the right sound. It's hard to make it sounds right while maintaining stability. It froze my atom machine countless times for experimenting the best possible fine-tuning.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #60 of 188
Here are some Windows 7 tweaks I've found on services and svhost to basically shut down things you don't need to save resources. There are some things you shouldn't turn off if you need the internet and some will cause a BSOD in Windows 7. As you can see from their post dates they are before SP1 but should still work with SP1 for the most part.

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=15194

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=15225

Did your atom machine froze from tweaking Windows 7 or some other software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back