Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #781 of 1,013
Preordered! Is there a release date in mind? And @GoldenSound do you feel the holo bliss will compliment the Wandla well?
Awesome!

@TaronL may be able to confirm when they'll ship out.

And yeah it works excellently with the bliss. The bliss also is quite happy with 10V input so you can leave the Wandla at full output level + bypass mode

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #782 of 1,013
I borrowed a Wandla the weekend before last, from a local dealer. I thought it was a good upgrade on my OG Hugo, into my Leben CS600 (via tape loop input to avoid input switch) and Goldenear Triton 1 system. I also found the separation of instruments amazing including individual drums during rolls etc. So good I didn't bother listening with headphones.

I want the new version with the voltage selector, not so fussed about the software changes. My dealer has a number of the older version on hand. We both have to play the waiting game to see what makes it to Australia and when. His distributor wasn't even aware of this updated version coming out. Maybe Ferrum should have been on the front foot a bit more with their distributors.

If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known there was changes coming when I borrowed the Wandla. Luckily I did, so I told the dealer I would be waiting to see what the changes were, before purchase, assuming I liked it. Luckily I really do like it. I just don't know how long I have to wait for the board revision 4.0 to become available. Which is a bit frustrating. I'm sure my dealer is frustrated as well given he has the OG version on hand to sell.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #783 of 1,013
I borrowed a Wandla the weekend before last, from a local dealer. I thought it was a good upgrade on my OG Hugo, into my Leben CS600 (via tape loop input to avoid input switch) and Goldenear Triton 1 system. I also found the separation of instruments amazing including individual drums during rolls etc. So good I didn't bother listening with headphones.

I want the new version with the voltage selector, not so fussed about the software changes. My dealer has a number of the older version on hand. We both have to play the waiting game to see what makes it to Australia and when. His distributor wasn't even aware of this updated version coming out. Maybe Ferrum should have been on the front foot a bit more with their distributors.

If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known there was changes coming when I borrowed the Wandla. Luckily I did, so I told the dealer I would be waiting to see what the changes were, before purchase, assuming I liked it. Luckily I really do like it. I just don't know how long I have to wait for the board revision 4.0 to become available. Which is a bit frustrating. I'm sure my dealer is frustrated as well given he has the OG version on hand to sell.
Honestly, you might want to go through someone who can ship it or work something out with headphones Dot com and pay through the nose... or wait 🥲. Maybe Golden has some insight from the guys for wider distribution.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #784 of 1,013
I want the new version with the voltage selector, not so fussed about the software changes
You could possibly buy wandla now and then upgrade to voltage selector for free when it’s available. It’s not GSE exclusive feature, it’s gonna be available on regular priced Wandlas, so I assume this is gonna be free change. However not sure yet where you’ll be required to send it..

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #785 of 1,013
You could possibly buy wandla now and then upgrade to voltage selector for free when it’s available. It’s not GSE exclusive feature, it’s gonna be available on regular priced Wandlas, so I assume this is gonna be free change. However not sure yet where you’ll be required to send it..
That feature is only available in hardware on Wandla starting with board revision 4.0. There isn't any plan to upgrade units afaik.
The feature will be available on V3.0 and earlier units but it's done by digital volume control instead of the hardware voltage divider.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #786 of 1,013
Honestly, you might want to go through someone who can ship it or work something out with headphones Dot com and pay through the nose... or wait 🥲. Maybe Golden has some insight from the guys for wider distribution.
There's no guarantee this would get me one any quicker. I would rather stay loyal to the local dealer that let me borrow one for a weekend to demo. I would also rather have an Australian warranty. I'll wait.
Even it is possible to upgrade existing hardware, there's no way this would be free to existing owners.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #788 of 1,013
Erco owners have a free hardware upgrade to Erco 2 if I recall correctly, so I went in with the same thought. Not correct though it seems
Free Erco upgrade is only if you bought it after July 1st of last year. That way recent buyers don't feel regret over the timing of their purchase. It's $200 for those who bought it before that cutoff.

The whole question of upgrades and software vs hardware changes is honestly getting a bit off-putting for me. It's presenting confusion over what is upgradeable, who is getting the upgrade, and why existing owners need to pay $600 for the upgrade if it's mostly just software. Are all of the hardware changes in the GSE also present in the 4.0 board revision? Is the upgrade just swapping out the board to a 4.0 unit? If you get the upgrade, is it a one-way path, or can you go back to the original with MQA minus the enhancement processing?

I recognize that many of these details aren't exactly fleshed out on the Ferrum side yet, but it just seems like premature communication that is causing more confusion than clarity. Also, the exclusivity to Headphones(dot)com in NA is understandable given the collaboration, but it also means that every other Ferrum dealer in NA is a second-class citizen, so to speak.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #789 of 1,013
but it also means that every other Ferrum dealer in NA is a second-class citizen, so to speak.
Every other dealer in NA has the exact same opportunity to do what we do if they would like to invest the same time, resources and money that we do when we commit to a project like this. We aren’t being given an unfair advantage or some sort of leg up over others.

Starting a US-based business as two brothers on a couch in Canada and having it be online only means that we’ve had to fight tooth and nail for everything we’ve done. I think it’s important not to undersell that.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #790 of 1,013
Dealers outside of NA it's gonna be a case by case thing.

Some dealers may order units immediately to have in stock, others might not until they get a request for one. I'd recommend contacting your dealer to tell them if you want one and they should be able to give you an estimate of how quickly they can get one to you

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #791 of 1,013
The whole question of upgrades and software vs hardware changes is honestly getting a bit off-putting for me. It's presenting confusion over what is upgradeable, who is getting the upgrade, and why existing owners need to pay $600 for the upgrade if it's mostly just software. Are all of the hardware changes in the GSE also present in the 4.0 board revision? Is the upgrade just swapping out the board to a 4.0 unit? If you get the upgrade, is it a one-way path, or can you go back to the original with MQA minus the enhancement processing

The upgrade will be available for $600 directly from Ferrum. You will not need to send in your device.

This will convert your device to the GoldenSound Edition. And you'll have access to all the features.

Hardware voltage adjustment will just depend on board revision. If you have revision 4.0 or later you will get hardware voltage adjustment.
Earlier units will have an option to change output voltage but it's implemented via digital volume control.
There are no plans for a board swap currently as far as I'm aware.

If you wish to revert back from GoldenSound Edition to stock later to access MQA you will be able to do so.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #792 of 1,013
Dealers outside of NA it's gonna be a case by case thing.

Some dealers may order units immediately to have in stock, others might not until they get a request for one. I'd recommend contacting your dealer to tell them if you want one and they should be able to give you an estimate of how quickly they can get one to you
I'm NA! I just have to wait till the fall to move houses. WANDLA and Mjolrnir 3 going in the car with me another 1,000 miles. No room 🤣

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #793 of 1,013
Now it’s very similar to my TT2 Mscaler regarding treble, bass still more round maybe a litle more deep on the TT2 . I’m happy now , they of course have different presentations but I enjoy both . Another thing I notice the is the precision of the Wandla, imaging and placement is crazy.
I agree with you. Wandla has wonderful imaging! And pairing it with Hypsos was a sonic necessity for me as well.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #794 of 1,013
The upgrade will be available for $600 directly from Ferrum. You will not need to send in your device.

This will convert your device to the GoldenSound Edition. And you'll have access to all the features, with the possible exception of hardware voltage adjustment.

Hardware voltage adjustment will just depend on board revision. If you have revision 4.0 or later you will get hardware voltage adjustment.
Earlier units will have an option to change output voltage but it's implemented via digital volume control.
There are no plans for a board swap currently as far as I'm aware.

If you wish to revert back from GoldenSound Edition to stock later to access MQA you will be able to do so.
How to check the revision 4.0? I have just bought a wandla that came with a new firmware...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #795 of 1,013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back