Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #766 of 1,013
Which version of WANDLA are you using?
Receive it Thursday directly from Ferrum , so think last version. It came with firmware 1.3.0 , not yet released.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #767 of 1,013
Yeah, I’m fortunate enough ferrum is from Poland where I am so sending it to them is no problem

Oh that’s great! Could you list a few you measured? I lower the output specially for a mass kobo portable amp for IEMs. I try to have it below 4V at -9db dig trim, but don’t know what it is exactly
Oh sorry I don't actually have a Wandla yet, was about to pull the trigger before the GSE announcement and now needed to get a few things clear about the path forward post-GSE announcement. I would happily provide you with those measurement points if I had a Wandla. If/when I get one I'll post them here for the community.

I recommend picking up a cheap multimeter and you can measure yourself, always handy to have one laying around anyway.

I think the XLR output on the Wandla is higher the RCA right ? Maybe that’s why I need to go to -12db to equal with the TT2 ( rca output) vs the Wandla (xlr output ) ?
Yes XLR will be double that of RCA. 4V XLR = 2V RCA etc.

There wont be a hardware swap. If you convert a pre 4.0 unit you'll get all the features except voltage adjustment. (well, it's still there just done digitally)
Can pre 4.0 units still be sent in to upgrade to the 4.0 board for people who want the voltage adjustment? Or will that not be an option?

Not even sure I'd want that functionality in my use-case but there are others here who may be interested if that's an option.

As for the GSE firmware update, any idea how this will be managed? I'm assuming no need to send the unit to Ferrum but how will they prevent the FW from being leaked? How will the payment process for the FW update work? Maybe I just need to shut up, be patient and wait for official word from Ferrum haha.

Nevermind I just re-read your announcement post and this is covered at the end, don't know how I missed it the first time.

The upgrade is a little more expensive than the price difference, so it's more ideal to buy the GS Edition straight away rather than buy a normal one and upgrade
Yeah for sure apples-to-apples retail but I guess that would depend on what kind of price people can get from their dealer on an original unit.

Cheers and have fun at the show! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #768 of 1,013
I’d get Golden just because it got rid of the MQA bs

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #769 of 1,013
Just to give you some feedback regarding , Wandla vs TT2 mscaler .

Have more or less 20 hours running the Wandla, what i find is that the treble still seems sharp, aggressive vs the TT2/Mscaler less organic. Hope that burn in here could be a thing and gets better with time...

Also mids seem more forward as vocals vs TT2 not better or worse just different maybe more engaging but also more fatiguing. Bass also seem now more impactful on TT2 vs the first time i have tried the Wandla...

Anyone and a positive feedback regarding Burn in in the Wandla? is it a thing here?
Agreed. Wandla needs a lot of burn in time. Also, changing the filter helps too. But the biggest help is coming from Hypsos. With Hypsos is sounds organic, no longer aggressive.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #770 of 1,013
Agreed. Wandla needs a lot of burn in time. Also, changing the filter helps too. But the biggest help is coming from Hypsos. With Hypsos is sounds organic, no longer aggressive.
Hi, thanks!

I have the stack with the Hypsos using the splitter, the Hypsos is now at 22v seems to take a bit of sharpness . Filter I’m using the HQ Apod it’s what a like more. Also like the Gauss but seems a little more sharp..

Lets see if it changes still working, must have now 30 to 40 hours…

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #771 of 1,013
Have done some changes for the better!:L3000:

Find out that the Hypsos was reconfigured just for the Oor, change it to Wandla+Oor and made a significant difference, treble seems more polite and refined and still not even reaching 50hours of burn in..

Also since the the TT2\Mscaler as a weaker output and to balance everything i have invert the connections on the Wandla and the Oor to compensate and it seems a lot better.

So i ended at:

-TT2\Mscaler to Oor on XLR on lo gain with -3L = 3V

-Wandla to Oor on RCA in bypass with digital trim at -6db , don't know the volts here but to my ears seems the same, switching from XLR(TT2\Mscaler) to RCA(Wandla) on the Oor.

Listen to the Wandla now seems a lot better regarding the sharpness and harsh treble, it shifted to warmer side with more bass emphasis, less harsh treble. Super happy with the outcome!!!

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #772 of 1,013
Sorry to disappoint, but wandla IS a forward, rather aggressiv sounding DAC. If the rest if the set up don't calm him down, it will be very fatiguing indeed. And forget about the burnIn BS, it will remain as it is. You can play with the filters and the Hypsos, but it will not change his personality, emphasiszed with the ESS sound. Some like it. For me it was a disaster !

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #773 of 1,013
Sorry to disappoint, but wandla IS a forward, rather aggressiv sounding DAC. If the rest if the set up don't calm him down, it will be very fatiguing indeed. And forget about the burnIn BS, it will remain as it is. You can play with the filters and the Hypsos, but it will not change his personality, emphasiszed with the ESS sound. Some like it. For me it was a disaster !

All opinions are valid. Honesty appreciated.

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #774 of 1,013
You can play with the filters and the Hypsos, but it will not change his personality
I tried changing the voltage on hypsos to see if there could be any differences. Nothing whatsoever, did A/B switching multiple times and couldn’t even imagine any change in sound. However hypsos itself does change the wandla slightly

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #775 of 1,013
All opinions are valid. Honesty appreciated.
Now it’s very similar to my TT2 Mscaler regarding treble, bass still more round maybe a litle more deep on the TT2 . I’m happy now , they of course have different presentations but I enjoy both . Another thing I notice the is the precision of the Wandla, imaging and placement is crazy.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #776 of 1,013
Yes, that's what I was hoping for...But in my set up, it resulted in a huge but vague picture, without center and boundaries. On a small jazz ensemble, the drums were so forward you had the impression they were set before all others, wich never happens. So I was also very disapointed by the imaging

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #777 of 1,013
Have done some changes for the better!:L3000:

Find out that the Hypsos was reconfigured just for the Oor, change it to Wandla+Oor and made a significant difference, treble seems more polite and refined and still not even reaching 50hours of burn in..

Also since the the TT2\Mscaler as a weaker output and to balance everything i have invert the connections on the Wandla and the Oor to compensate and it seems a lot better.

So i ended at:

-TT2\Mscaler to Oor on XLR on lo gain with -3L = 3V

-Wandla to Oor on RCA in bypass with digital trim at -6db , don't know the volts here but to my ears seems the same, switching from XLR(TT2\Mscaler) to RCA(Wandla) on the Oor.

Listen to the Wandla now seems a lot better regarding the sharpness and harsh treble, it shifted to warmer side with more bass emphasis, less harsh treble. Super happy with the outcome!!!
HQ Short and ESS filters are less aggressive to me.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #778 of 1,013
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #779 of 1,013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back