Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #661 of 1,222
@GoldenSound I posted this as a question on your YT video but whatโ€™s your overall thoughts on Wanda stack vs. WA23 in terms of tonality and sound stage? Again, Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s apples to oranges but really curious what your experience is ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #662 of 1,222
@GoldenSound I posted this as a question on your YT video but whatโ€™s your overall thoughts on Wanda stack vs. WA23 in terms of tonality and sound stage? Again, Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s apples to oranges but really curious what your experience is ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™
It is indeed apples to oranges.

I don't like trying to compare tubes and SS generally because they're just too different. And tbh anyone who says "X solid state amp is way better than Y tube amp" or vice versa probably just has a strong preference for tube or solid state sound.

I've got OOR and WA23 on my desk currently and couldn't tell you which I like more cause it's just mood dependent.

If I had to go with only one, I'd go solid state as I prefer having a more neutral baseline. But that's just me

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #664 of 1,222
For those considering getting a WANDLA in the near future, wait until after CanJam NYC :)
I hope Iโ€™m not going regret buying mine in the past couple of months ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #665 of 1,222
I hope Iโ€™m not going regret buying mine in the past couple of months ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
If the new thing is a Wandla Gen 2 - an upgrade over the current one but not an entirely new model - then perhaps Ferrum will do what they're doing with the Erco Gen 2 and allow owners of the current model to upgrade to the new one at a reasonable fee (which might be waived for recent buyers as is the case with the Erco upgrade).

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #666 of 1,222
If the new thing is a Wandla Gen 2 - an upgrade over the current one but not an entirely new model - then perhaps Ferrum will do what they're doing with the Erco Gen 2 and allow owners of the current model to upgrade to the new one at a reasonable fee (which might be waived for recent buyers as is the case with the Erco upgrade).
๐Ÿคž
Ferrum are a good lot so I hope so. My guess is more awesome filters. WANDLA is pretty new so new model seems quick. ERCO was around a while I think before v2.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #668 of 1,222
Or maybe I should try running the Wandla + WA23. Might be an interesting combo...maybe not... ๐Ÿ˜‚

Itโ€™s a good pairing, from my experience. I was using the Wandla with the WA23 prior to the Holo May arriving. The Wandla is wonderful in sound, in features, and in interface. An all around fantastic experience. Pairing it with the WA23 would give you a full-featured and capable system that can even drive hard-to-drive headphones, like the Susvara.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #669 of 1,222
Iirc I believe someone posted here sometime back that you can actually run the WANDLA for both the OOR and another amp with no issues. The WA23 uses the RCA interconnect so will have no issues with the OOR i think

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #670 of 1,222
Most DACs are totally fine running two outputs at once. It's typically just the really high output impedance ones like Denafrips where that's not ideal.

The only thing is if you're doing this, keep both amps on, some amps will load the DAC outputs when switched off and this will increase distortion including to the other device

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #671 of 1,222
For those considering getting a WANDLA in the near future, wait until after CanJam NYC :)
Please do comparisons to "real" competitors in the review of that to be released DAC... hopefully Friday before the canjan NYC weekend??
I mean in the WANDLA video you compared it against Eversolo and X18 which to this day doesn't make sense to me.
Sold my X26pro today... after your announcement I'll decide which DAC to buy, can't wait!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #672 of 1,222
Please do comparisons to "real" competitors in the review of that to be released DAC... hopefully Friday before the canjan NYC weekend??
I mean in the WANDLA video you compared it against Eversolo and X18 which to this day doesn't make sense to me.
Sold my X26pro today... after your announcement I'll decide which DAC to buy, can't wait!
well thats not all true...He compared it to the Holo in another review and I believe even the Weiss. You have to watch the videos all the way through.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #673 of 1,222
Most DACs are totally fine running two outputs at once. It's typically just the really high output impedance ones like Denafrips where that's not ideal.

The only thing is if you're doing this, keep both amps on, some amps will load the DAC outputs when switched off and this will increase distortion including to the other device
That really interesting, thanks.

Chord says donโ€™t connect both outputs, but Ferrum says no problem at all and you can do this. I recently had Ferrum and Chord confirm this for Wandla and DAVE. Where I use Oor for headphone listening and Rega Aethos for speaker listening.

Doing this doesnโ€™t affect Wandla, but does affect DAVE according to both companies.

Ferrum confirmed that Oor creates a small amount of distortion on XLR output of Wandla, so this would be also on the DAVEโ€™s XLR too. Chordโ€™s main concern was XLR output, I donโ€™t know if RCA doesnโ€™t matter or they knew already my Rega Aethos didnโ€™t create this distortion for RCA.

Continuing the idea to keep both amps on to avoid this, Ferrum said if you keep the Oor on in RCA mode it completely disconnects the XLR input.

It seemed a safety issue, but is it just a sound quality issue? I should reconfirm this with Chord because I was concerned Iโ€™d break my borrowed DAVE, but donโ€™t mind trying to connect both amps if there may only be distortion and I can test that.

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #675 of 1,222

Users who are viewing this thread

Back