Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #316 of 1,011
For the Wandla/OOR/Hypsos stack, is it best to use Wandla in bypass mode and control the volume with the OOR, or to put the OOR in bypass mode and control the volume with the Wandla?
That's a very good question as in Oor thread Oor was told to scale in Poweramp mode and people started looking into preamps long before Wandla was coming out

Oct 7, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #317 of 1,011
For the Wandla/OOR/Hypsos stack, is it best to use Wandla in bypass mode and control the volume with the OOR, or to put the OOR in bypass mode and control the volume with the Wandla?
If you're running a lower-sensitivity headphone like the Susvara, you might prefer activating the Wandla's volume control with the Oor in bypass mode. Using a more sensitive headphone, I strongly suggest using the Oors volume control and setting the Wandla to a fixed output. This will provide the best signal-to-noise at moderate listening volumes.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #318 of 1,011
I'd try both and see. I believe technically the cleanest path would be analogue volume on the Wandla with OOR on bypass, however I prefer using the different amp stages of the OOR and find it produces a better sound on my setup to have the Wandla in bypass.

FWIW Wojtek at Ferrum also uses his Wandla in Bypass and controls the volumes via OOR.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #319 of 1,011
I'd try both and see. I believe technically the cleanest path would be analogue volume on the Wandla with OOR on bypass, however I prefer using the different amp stages of the OOR and find it produces a better sound on my setup to have the Wandla in bypass.

FWIW Wojtek at Ferrum also uses his Wandla in Bypass and controls the volumes via OOR.
This was what Wojtek recommended too during our previous emails. And that’s what I have been using and I am fine with it

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #322 of 1,011
HQplayer works very well with WANDLA i found it to work best with pcm upsampled to 768k 32bits

poly sinc guass hires mp is best working one so far

I'm struggling to use Wandla with HQP via Roon with max sample rate and LNS15 dither with any of the poly-sinc-gauss filters. In particular anything that is 44.1Khz at 1x has lots of clicks and pops. Hi-res seems to work OK. CPU isn't really an issue and lower sample rates seem OK.

Did you have to do anything special with the config (e.g. input buffer time) and what noise shaper are you using?

FWIW, I got a sense of better space, but I felt the music lost a bit of richness and weight than when using the Wandla's HQ Gauss filter but then I didn't spend a lot of time with it since the clicks/pops are too annoying.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #323 of 1,011
I'm struggling to use Wandla with HQP via Roon with max sample rate and LNS15 dither with any of the poly-sinc-gauss filters. In particular anything that is 44.1Khz at 1x has lots of clicks and pops. Hi-res seems to work OK. CPU isn't really an issue and lower sample rates seem OK.

Did you have to do anything special with the config (e.g. input buffer time) and what noise shaper are you using?

FWIW, I got a sense of better space, but I felt the music lost a bit of richness and weight than when using the Wandla's HQ Gauss filter but then I didn't spend a lot of time with it since the clicks/pops are too annoying.
i use NS5 filter, clicks and pop in my experience have two things to consider 1.cpu piority settings and usb connection quality.

you should check ferrum asio control to see if the settings are right

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #324 of 1,011

yes hqguass makes the sound more 'clean' and therefore it does lose some bit in the upper end.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #325 of 1,011

i find it that if set to 32bit mode for wandla works better than 24 somehow....

Oct 19, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #327 of 1,011
Anyone know what the going rate on a used Wandla is? Getting out of the hobby and want to sell mine. From what I'm seeing only one available is 2300 euros in the classifieds.
If you can wait a week... Here's one up for auction in EU (Germany). Fair enough you're in US but might give you an accurate idea of going rate (although the one for auction is new, also it's pre-order for del. Nov/Dec so not sure if that'll affect things)

Or, at the [currently] top of Hifishark's list is an almost new Wandla in US for $2.5k fleebay

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #328 of 1,011
If you can wait a week... Here's one up for auction in EU (Germany). Fair enough you're in US but might give you an accurate idea of going rate (although the one for auction is new, also it's pre-order for del. Nov/Dec so not sure if that'll affect things)

Or, at the [currently] top of Hifishark's list is an almost new Wandla in US for $2.5k fleebay
Thanks I'll do $2100 shipped today for mine. Everything is mint except the AC adapter which has some bites in it from my kitten. It does work perfectly as is but if you use a hypsos then it doesn't matter anyways!

Oct 21, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #329 of 1,011
Thanks I'll do $2100 shipped today for mine. Everything is mint except the AC adapter which has some bites in it from my kitten. It does work perfectly as is but if you use a hypsos then it doesn't matter anyways!
Ohh, sorry bud. You were asking what the going rate is for Wandla... I was simply saying in a week the linked auction will end to give you an idea of price. I didn't mean I'll have the cash in a week. Apologies for the confusion and good luck Eric. (though I badly wish I had the spare cash for a Ferrum rack available now, man that would be sweet! One day, perhaps...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back