Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #346 of 1,030
@GoldenOne I saw in your detailed measurement report of the Wandla that it did not handle intersample overs and even the +1 dB intersample overs test showed distortion of the waveform. Do you know if digital vs analog volume control changes how intersample overs are handled? My presumption is that the digital volume control occurs before the D/A conversion and it acts like a digital pre-gain so it can avoid intersample overs in the signal, while the analog control occurs after the D/A conversion so the distortion has already occurred.

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #347 of 1,030
For those using Wandla with USB input. What USB cable do you use with Wandla? As far as I know, there are only few good quality USB A to USB C cables out there...

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #348 of 1,030
For those using Wandla with USB input. What USB cable do you use with Wandla? As far as I know, there are only few good quality USB A to USB C cables out there...
I currently use Audioquest cinnamon cables. They have different cables with different terminals depending on your need. You can also customize length, which is the primary reason I went with them. Oh and there are multiple able makers who make them.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #349 of 1,030
@GoldenOne I saw in your detailed measurement report of the Wandla that it did not handle intersample overs and even the +1 dB intersample overs test showed distortion of the waveform. Do you know if digital vs analog volume control changes how intersample overs are handled? My presumption is that the digital volume control occurs before the D/A conversion and it acts like a digital pre-gain so it can avoid intersample overs in the signal, while the analog control occurs after the D/A conversion so the distortion has already occurred.
I'll need to double check and get back to you. Analog vol control won't affect things. But digital volume control might. depends if the oversampling is done before or after the digital attenuation

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #350 of 1,030
Just opened Ferrum Contol app and Wandla firmware update 1.2.0 is now available. You can now set Wandla to power on fully when triggered which is especially nice when using Hypsos as the trigger out. Now my Hypsos, Wandla, Orr stack comes to life with a single press of the hypsos knob. Other quality of life improvements include auto input selection (can be turned on and off) and auto wakeup. New HQ upsampling filters also added but I have not tried them yet. Glad to have these new features so a solid update so far.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #351 of 1,030
Already updated the new firmware 1.2.0 with two new filters HQ Apod MP and HQ short. Sound getting better with HQ Apod MP a bit , in my opinion.

IMG_2396.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #355 of 1,030
Already updated the new firmware 1.2.0 with two new filters HQ Apod MP and HQ short. Sound getting better with HQ Apod MP a bit , in my opinion.

How did you carryout the update? A friend of mine is struggling with his at the moment. He says it locks out and disconnects USB port as soon as it he runs the update from Ferrum control app.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #356 of 1,030
I think I just fried my Wandla. Tried to do the updates but failed. Now my Wandla wouldn’t turn on. Only the Fe logo is lighted but the screen is blank. Pulled it out of the power socket and plugged it back in and still the same

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #357 of 1,030
I think I just fried my Wandla. Tried to do the updates but failed. Now my Wandla wouldn’t turn on. Only the Fe logo is lighted but the screen is blank. Pulled it out of the power socket and plugged it back in and still the same
Disconnect the Wandla from power, reconnect and then switch back on. It should be fine.
My friend is having the same experience. He has contacted Ferrum’s technical support and I’ll be able to update when he gets it sorted.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #358 of 1,030
Disconnect the Wandla from power, reconnect and then switch back on. It should be fine.
My friend is having the same experience. He has contacted Ferrum’s technical support and I’ll be able to update when he gets it sorted.
I did that. Pulled out the plug. Still nothing. I emailed Ferrum too. Will wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back