Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 31, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #3,826 of 3,846
Adding a tube pre (Freya+) to the OOR has been a really nice addition. Running the OOR in high gain with the volume pegged and attenuating volume off of the Freya+ has improved bass remarkably on the Susvaras. On certain tracks I can feel the drivers jumping off my head.

IMG_2048.jpg
Very nice looking setup.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #3,827 of 3,846
Very nice looking setup.
Appreciate the kind words. I built these desktop racks in order to fit all of my gear. Not a hard project, some hardware and resin & wood cutting boards.

IMG_2052.jpg

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #3,828 of 3,846
Adding a tube pre (Freya+) to the OOR has been a really nice addition. Running the OOR in high gain with the volume pegged and attenuating volume off of the Freya+ has improved bass remarkably on the Susvaras. On certain tracks I can feel the drivers jumping off my head.

I really agree with you. Adding a wuality

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg
I really agree with you. Adding a quality and intended pre amp does some real magic to the sound chain. I’m absolutely for it. I can see why you are happy. 🤝✌️

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #3,829 of 3,846
Which of the connection do you think is the best?
1. XLR in OOR, XLR out to Headphone
2. RCA in OOR, SE out to Headphone
3. XLR in OOR, SE out to Headphone
4. RCA in OOR, XLR out to Headphone

I used to think the first option is the best, but now I got challenged that RCA + SE is better for vocals? I don't have all the exact cables in XLR and RCA or the exact headphone cable in XLR and SE to make fair comparision between the four options.....

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #3,830 of 3,846
I think it’s likely going to depend on the headphones, in this case. SE output is 1/4th as the balanced:
  • Output Power Single Ended: 400 mW into 300 Ω, 2 W into 60 Ω
  • Output Power Balanced: 1.600 mW into 300 Ω, 8 W into 60 Ω
Depending on sensitivity, driver type, etc.

Which headphones are you using?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #3,831 of 3,846
I think it’s likely going to depend on the headphones, in this case. SE output is 1/4th as the balanced:

I am using a Focal Utopia 2022, and I am planned to get a Yamaha YH-5000SE in this month.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #3,832 of 3,846

Oh, i see you are also having the " iFi Supanova Cables", to which device you connect the cable to? the DAC? the Streamer or the Headphone amp?? I am also using this cable, and I dont know why I always find the sound strange if using the cable on the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos or on the Holo Audio Red.
As I have no extra power cord, I still need to use this one, so now I use it on my Cyan 2 and find the sound now is relatively "the best".

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #3,833 of 3,846
Oh, i see you are also having the " iFi Supanova Cables", to which device you connect the cable to? the DAC? the Streamer or the Headphone amp?? I am also using this cable, and I dont know why I always find the sound strange if using the cable on the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos or on the Holo Audio Red.
As I have no extra power cord, I still need to use this one, so now I use it on my Cyan 2 and find the sound now is relatively "the best".

I am using the Supanova on both my DAC and my Amplifier. I’m using another thick, heavy cable for the streamer itself, but it’s not an iFi cable.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #3,835 of 3,846
I tried XLR and RCA, love XLR better, but dont know whether it is the cable thing, as the RCA Is in copper, while thw XLR used is silver.
For the XLR or 6.3 to headphone, obviously 6.3 is more relasxing, and producing a clearer voice.
So I am now using XLR in OOR and 6.3 out to headphone

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #3,837 of 3,846
I tried XLR and RCA, love XLR better, but dont know whether it is the cable thing, as the RCA Is in copper, while thw XLR used is silver.
For the XLR or 6.3 to headphone, obviously 6.3 is more relasxing, and producing a clearer voice.
So I am now using XLR in OOR and 6.3 out to headphone

The important thing to remember here is if it works for you and/or if it sounds more pleasing to you, that is all that matters.

I think you have found that, so sit back and enjoy the music! :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #3,838 of 3,846
Which of the connection do you think is the best?
1. XLR in OOR, XLR out to Headphone
2. RCA in OOR, SE out to Headphone
3. XLR in OOR, SE out to Headphone
4. RCA in OOR, XLR out to Headphone

I used to think the first option is the best, but now I got challenged that RCA + SE is better for vocals? I don't have all the exact cables in XLR and RCA or the exact headphone cable in XLR and SE to make fair comparision between the four options.....
I often think/assume if your Dac is a balanced internal design and you're amp is like the Oor balanced XLR in/out should sound best at least in theory.

I have a really great and expensive RCA Cable though imo and don't own a XLR cable and would think i would need to invest in a similar priced XLR cable to be worth it sound wise.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #3,839 of 3,846
I like Benchmark's no-nonsense stance on RCA vs XLR:
1713775546344.png

However it depends a bit on the system components, some dacs simply use a cheap inverter op-amp to produce balanced output and have a single-ended design internally.
However with a proper dac that has a proper balanced XLR output I would 200% recommend using XLR inputs.

The Oor is a balanced amplifier design so I would recommend to always connect headphones using the 4-pin XLR connector.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #3,840 of 3,846
I like Benchmark's no-nonsense stance on RCA vs XLR:
1713775546344.png
However it depends a bit on the system components, some dacs simply use a cheap inverter op-amp to produce balanced output and have a single-ended design internally.
However with a proper dac that has a proper balanced XLR output I would 200% recommend using XLR inputs.

The Oor is a balanced amplifier design so I would recommend to always connect headphones using the 4-pin XLR connector.
In most cases balanced is superior, exception would be with tube electronics.
There the costs usually outweight the benefit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back