Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 1, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #3,811 of 3,846
^^^Out of pure curiosity, have you RME owners tried the Sus with RME's built in amp? I suspect (based on the math) that the RME *might* have power, but could be struggling with low sensitivity headphones. I tried my RME with my Abyss 1266 and it can get there, but it's pushing it. Hence my interest in the Oor.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #3,812 of 3,846
Dusted of HD650 today and it sounded better then i remmembered with Ferrum Oor+Hypsos with SE stock cable.
Sounded clean and clear and with enjoyable musicality and fullbodied and airy presentation and excellent timbre.

Audio-Technica AWAS i have listened to recently also and it have sounded great also with nice body to the mids and clean and clear sound. Alot of albums sounds more like perfect recordings than i am used to with both HD800S or Akg k371.

I like this amp more now and know i don't need to chase for other amps.

The sound just is on this amp and does very little wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #3,813 of 3,846
My feeling is that it sounds better now when i use the bypass/power amp mode. Been using for a about a month and had never tried before since owning it for 1,5 year.

Alittle more effortless and dynamic and less fatigue. I think i can turn up the volume more now. 👍

Hugo2 is acting preamp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #3,814 of 3,846
My feeling is that it sounds better now when i use the bypass/power amp mode. Been using for a about a month and had never tried before since owning it for 1,5 year.

Alittle more effortless and dynamic and less fatigue. I think i can turn up the volume more now. 👍

Hugo2 is acting preamp.
Great combo, especially with Chord 2 Go.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #3,815 of 3,846

Hugo2 is acting preamp.
Although already highly impressed with OOR/Hypsos in bypass mode for a good while now (as described in depth previously), months into using Denon's flagship DCD A110 (SA)CD/DVD-R player's transport as source into mscaler/TT2 as DAC/preamp, and I'm even more impressed with the Ferrum combo's ability to up its game further...vindicating - for me at least, its market cost placement.

The two combos' wonderful synergy has also managed to take my Empyreans (v1, with high spec DIY UP-OCC cable and Angled Alcantara pads) to a performance level way above 'normal' expectations/findings (especially when, like yourself, turning up the volume lol :wink:). And so I too have no desire to look for another amp...nor different headphones! :)

ps. Going fully balanced also (for me) brought noticeable improvement across the board...

Edit...pps : I need to amend my last statement re mere "noticeable" improvement after going fully balanced out from TT2, and 'balanced' 4-pin XLR out of OOR (although not truly fully balanced of course, not having separate signal hot/cold per channel).

In short, along with changing to the Denon player's transport as source in place of my Antipodes DX's streaming/SSD playback, I have just had the biggest shock/surprise in years of returning to test tracks I've heard literally hundreds of times - viz Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America' CD. I've always been impressed by the quality of its engineering/recording, but I wasn't prepared for such a transformed presentation. So much so that although I normally prefer listening with eyes closed, they remained transfixedly open throughout the whole album! It was a sound unlike anything I heard from my friend's $9000 or so T&A HA200 feeding his Meze Elites (with said Antipodes as source)...and I'm still in shock/disbelief lol :wink:.

ppps. For anyone into DIY, or having a headphone cable made up and wants to go 4 pin XLR, I highly recommend the 'Viborg XM204R', with pure copper/ silver and Rhodium plated pins...never been so impressed with a 'mere' plug - wonderful quality, and at a great price (especially via Ali- with free delivery). Also recommended is to possibly have the cable wired with separate feeds for signal (pos) hot and cold per channel, if the drivers are so wired...and preferably with mono crystal OCC wire (silver compulsory IMHO for the Mezes!).

Thank you, Ferrum guys...(and Chord, and Meze of course...not to mention Neotech's UP-OCC wire!)...:smile:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #3,816 of 3,846
Anyone running a tube pre with the OOR? Thinking of picking up a balanced pre something like the Schist Freya+ to inject some tube goodness into the chain. Curious if anyone is using/liking that combo?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #3,817 of 3,846
I’ve done so previously. If you’re looking for a little bit more tube-warmth/magic adding that as a pre to the Oor would fit the bill.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #3,818 of 3,846
I’ve done so previously. If you’re looking for a little bit more tube-warmth/magic adding that as a pre to the Oor would fit the bill.
Any reason why you moved away from that setup?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #3,819 of 3,846
Any reason why you moved away from that setup?
Well, the tube amp that I used was the WA23 Luna. It’s a better amp in just about every way. It’s a bit of an unfair comparison though because of the big price difference.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #3,820 of 3,846
Well, the tube amp that I used was the WA23 Luna. It’s a better amp in just about every way. It’s a bit of an unfair comparison though because of the big price difference.
Gorgeous amp!

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #3,821 of 3,846
Gorgeous amp!
Most definitely! Absolutely love how it looks and sounds. Back to your original question, to reiterate, it certainly added the tube warmth and all the benefits of a tube to the Oor as a pre, so definitely would recommend a tube pre if you are wanting that.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #3,822 of 3,846
@hypnos1 That's great to hear that Ferrum combo is an scaler with source gear and Headphones. I can certainly work on improveing in this area.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #3,823 of 3,846
@hypnos1 That's great to hear that Ferrum combo is an scaler with source gear and Headphones. I can certainly work on improveing in this area.
Yo bn...lost count of the times I thought it had reached its zenith lol, after tweaking to the nth degree! :). Naturally, much will depend on the rest of the system of course...that wonderful word - synergy. And here, luck also must surely be a factor very much underrated IMHO! :wink: Every time I read a less than enthusiastic remark about the Ferrums I breathe a heavy sigh, knowing something somewhere else in their system isn't matching at optimum level...for whatever reason - regardless of personal preference! And while on this last subject, I personally have found my Ferrum-based system to now deliver, dare I say it, a more balanced, 'true' vinyl/analog type of sound that I never achieved after years of experimenting with some of the best tubes to be found anywhere...although I can understand their attraction when looking for emphasis in a particular area of performance/sound (ie 'coloration' = distortion!). Tubes are definitely much more sexy/'fun'...but much more fickle also alas :frowning2:. I now appreciate the more 'quiet' life, although I do still miss those fascinating glass wonders...

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #3,825 of 3,846
Adding a tube pre (Freya+) to the OOR has been a really nice addition. Running the OOR in high gain with the volume pegged and attenuating volume off of the Freya+ has improved bass remarkably on the Susvaras. On certain tracks I can feel the drivers jumping off my head.

IMG_2048.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back