Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #3,721 of 3,852
I listened to set Ferrum Audio. Low sound quality for a high price. I wasn’t impressed with the technology, I didn’t like it.
Orr+ Gypsos is quite normal if you connect it to a R2R DAC and use a medium gain setting.
Of course, if you compare it with the top products Audio GD, Bliss, Niimbus, then yes... Orr is two steps behind. And even this can be a controversial statement, because it all depends on what you are looking for in sound.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,722 of 3,852
....for a high price....
Small clarification.
If you mean the cost of the device in Russian retail, then yes. ORR+ Gypsos is in the price range of more “high-quality” devices and is difficult for it to compete.

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #3,723 of 3,852
Orr+ Gypsos is quite normal if you connect it to a R2R DAC and use a medium gain setting.
Of course, if you compare it with the top products Audio GD, Bliss, Niimbus, then yes... Orr is two steps behind. And even this can be a controversial statement, because it all depends on what you are looking for in sound.
True D R...and let's not forget much also depends on the rest of the system...and enough users/reviewers have now praised OOR, especially with Hypsos, to confirm its quality. Most would surely agree there is very little about to match it at this price point, and a good bit more IMHO. I venture to say one would have to spend a LOT more to gain noticeable improvement...I myself would love to try a Zahl, but it's beyond my wallet at present, and I doubt it would provide a particularly good cost/performance increase ratio anyway lol.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #3,725 of 3,852
Was wondering what interconnect you guys are using between OOR and WANDLA? Thank you
Just a cheap pair of short XLR cables… I haven’t heard any difference in audio cables ever yet, only one time where getting much more expensive ones made it worse because the shielding was not as good, and I suddenly had this interference noise from the smartphone in my system…

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #3,726 of 3,852
Hello all, I just bought some Meze Elites and am looking to upgrade my amp (Currently Simaudio Moon 230HAD). My current DAC is the Chord Qutest. The Ferrum stack is on my short list, along with the Chord Anni and Hugo TT2. I was wondering if anyone here has personal listening experience using the Ferrum stack with the Qutest and could provide some thoughts.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #3,727 of 3,852
Hello all, I just bought some Meze Elites and am looking to upgrade my amp (Currently Simaudio Moon 230HAD). My current DAC is the Chord Qutest. The Ferrum stack is on my short list, along with the Chord Anni and Hugo TT2. I was wondering if anyone here has personal listening experience using the Ferrum stack with the Qutest and could provide some thoughts.
I haven't tried Ferrum stack with Qutest unfortunately, but the amplifier overall does a great job with the Elites IMO. Generally speaking, the Ferrum stack will take the DAC characteristics and add a bit of warmth/meat tonally while retaining strong dynamics in case that might help you envision the potential synergy.

Elites from the Rockna/Ferrum stack, for example, has a spacious soundstage with great imaging and a euphonic tone. Smooth, energetic and musical.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #3,728 of 3,852
I haven't tried Ferrum stack with Qutest unfortunately, but the amplifier overall does a great job with the Elites IMO. Generally speaking, the Ferrum stack will take the DAC characteristics and add a bit of warmth/meat tonally while retaining strong dynamics in case that might help you envision the potential synergy.

Elites from the Rockna/Ferrum stack, for example, has a spacious soundstage with great imaging and a euphonic tone. Smooth, energetic and musical.
Thank you, that does help. I prefer a thicker, meatier sound overall but still detailed - so the Qutest may be a good pairing.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #3,730 of 3,852
IMG_1031.jpeg

Joined the Ferrum OOR+Hypsos stack amp family. Great amp and does feel quite different from what I have.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #3,732 of 3,852
To me it was not a clear winner. There’s some differences but not exactly the OOR is better

To me the OOR sound bigger, and lighter. This lightness itself makes the OOR also sound less warm but if the topping A70pro is definition of cool sound then the OOR and gsx mini are probably close to each other on the warmer side the the OOR just slightly lesser.

Some other difference is gsx mini has a more focused and also probably a sweeter mid. The OOR sounds a little more energetic. Bass is close but I feel with the gsx mini has a very small touch more power while the OOR is little more incisive.

Gsx mini has a slight forward mid which at times may cover up the details in very messy tracks. The OOR is more even throughout and as such details are easier to listen to.

In summary they sound different but at least I don’t think the OOR is like a one step up. It’s more like one step to the side and 1/4 a step up line of feel.

I compared using a Diana phi with 2 sets of cable so I can swap within 10s

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #3,734 of 3,852
IMG_1386.jpeg

Powering the CA-1A from RAAL-Requisite. First time I see a 25+W draw. Normally it’s like 15w for most headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back