Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
May 15, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #1,726 of 3,858
I just went to a local dealer to hear the amp-23R.

He had a Violectric HPA V226 dac- which I think is not the best but O.K.

I was shocked. IMHO it sounded terrible, absolutely terrible. Fuzzy, bloated, just horrible..

I would not pay $100 for it. Just not my kind of sound.......

I don't get why people like this?

May 15, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,728 of 3,858
I just went to a local dealer to hear the amp-23R.

He had a Violectric HPA V226 dac- which I think is not the best but O.K.

I was shocked. IMHO it sounded terrible, absolutely terrible. Fuzzy, bloated, just horrible..

I would not pay $100 for it. Just not my kind of sound.......

I don't get why people like this?

Why are you asking this in the Ferrum thread?

May 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,730 of 3,858
Currently oor on bypass 27.9 volts with rme using -5db line out and pre sliding between -22 and -7 depending on the song. Mainly did it for ab easy volume matching and never found non pre out on rme anyway. Would use pot on oor for convenience in the future.
If you can test it out again, try setting it to high gain with the pot turned all the way up. The bypass mode is actually only medium gain, so t you don't get the full power of the OOR in that mode.

May 15, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,731 of 3,858
Because I mentioned in an earlier post a few days ago that I demoed a oor/hypsos and that I was going to compare it to a 23R today. So I was just reporting my findings...
I see...to be honest I was (maybe still?) also confused with the Enleum 23R. It get's such an universal wide spread acclaim from every review...I also felt (feel) that is somehow underwhelming. It is too soft, too roled off. But it is not a dead sound and it is also not boring. Intresting combination. I use it with a fairly open soundig preamp and now I really like the end result. Money/performance ratio is questionable for sure. But it can also drive speakers too and it is dead silent with every headphone I tried. Sooo...yeah. It's a mixeb bag.

May 15, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,732 of 3,858
Impedance mismatch factor.
Interesting, just watched a video from the Abyss guys on a related topic! So how to match impedances of DACs and AMPs? What's a preferable range/at what ration it's too far apart? Thanks!

May 15, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,733 of 3,858
If you can test it out again, try setting it to high gain with the pot turned all the way up. The bypass mode is actually only medium gain, so t you don't get the full power of the OOR in that mode.
Still can't firmly say it's not placebo for me but lower voltage feels like it stretches the transients and high voltage shortens them. If it does its very minimal. I'm not hearing timbre nor tonality changes.

May 15, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,734 of 3,858
Still can't firmly say it's not placebo for me but lower voltage feels like it stretches the transients and high voltage shortens them. If it does its very minimal. I'm not hearing timbre nor tonality changes.
I feel the same and I am actively using that effect to cope with the track mix I am listening to.
Too bright, reveiling: lower gain (mid gain is the lowest for my planars 😉), high gain for "darker" recorded tracks.
The effect feels like the slow roll of vs fast filters known from DACs to my ears.
PS: I need to find that part again but it was discussed earlier in this thread: 0 gain was fed by some standard amp attenuation circuit, whereas high gain is run through an additional amplifier which is changing tonality...

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,735 of 3,858
About the output Impedance of the Oor it states:

Output impedance On the headphone output the impedance at 1kHz is <0.4 Ohm regardless of the load. On the preamp output: RCA 22 Ohm, XLR 44 Ohm.

So how to pair a headphone ragearding it's impedance? Thanks again...

May 15, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,736 of 3,858
May 15, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,737 of 3,858
About the output Impedance of the Oor it states:

Output impedance On the headphone output the impedance at 1kHz is <0.4 Ohm regardless of the load. On the preamp output: RCA 22 Ohm, XLR 44 Ohm.

So how to pair a headphone ragearding it's impedance? Thanks again...
So I am not an electrical engineer. Here's an explanation article about the impedance relation factors
https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/
"The term ‘rule of eighths’ is used as a rough guide. Divide the headphone impedance by 8, and that is the maximum source output impedance (32 ohm headphones / 8 = 4 ohm maximum source output impedance). In practice, it isn’t that strict a rule and often success can be had with a greater range."

I myself have only collected significant experience for impedance matching high sensitive IEMs like Andromeda which had a significant different transient response especially bass with headphone out impedance below or greater than 1 Ohms.
On my former MEST MKII it was vice versa.
The good thing about OOR is that it can run IEMs and also planars up to Susvara!

I remember there was also a rule for the relation between preamp/DAC output and amp input, need to find it again.
Here we go, e.g
https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=15150.0

"Output impedance of a preamp is something most people don't think about, but can be influential to the sound. Lefty's rule of thumb of having the preamp output impedance at least 1/10th of the power amp input impedance is sound advice. At this ratio, there will be only 0.83dB of loss in the interconnect."

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,738 of 3,858
I had the same impressions regarding transients. Again I don't know if it actually is like that.

May 15, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,740 of 3,858
How does the holo may + oor sound? If it's natural enough I might actually jump ship from my electronic /fun focused setup
In a word, great. Chord TT2 / Dave level of performance (stage, detail, imaging) with high class r2r smoothness and refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back